PDA

View Full Version : Takehiko Ito's "Take Out" Illustration Art Book

Mantis
5th May 2012, 03:09 PM
Though not Outlaw Star, this art book shows some of Ito's earlier illustrations for his manga Future-Retro Hero Story. If I wasn't skint after my recent purchase, I'd be very tempted to get this. If anybody does buy it, please do scan it. ;) http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAKEHIKO-ITOH-TAKE-OUT-illustration-art-book-THE-FUTURE-RETRO-HERO-STORY-/270890027798?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f124dcb16#ht_6517wt_905

Lord-Idolo
6th May 2012, 02:52 AM
I just made an offer now wait and see time.

Mantis
6th May 2012, 05:34 PM
Just of curiosity, was the offer anything close to the BIN price? I'd hate to see this one slip away, but I imagine it will appear again eventually. So long as one of us gets it though and we can get scans, it's fine. :)

Lord-Idolo
6th May 2012, 11:38 PM
I offered the seller $14 for it and accepted it. No going out to eat and no movie watching for awhile since I also bought a Hild black version and Urd gold and white version figures last week too. But the seller still has two of the books still for sell. One end in a couple of days and the other ends in 12 days or so.

Mantis
7th May 2012, 12:04 AM
I'm going to hold back on getting this art book then, given my future scanning of that $130 book. :P Good job getting it, though! I'm thinking of creating a thread on here in which I post good Outlaw Star/Takehiko Ito/Angel Links eBay listings with a referral code which will help me monetise things and pay some bills at no extra cost to the buyer. An hour after I post them on here, I will post the listings on Facebook. With the near-500 likes, surely it'll finally get me some money. About time...

Of course, I'll post them on here first with the prospect of getting scans, in the case of rarer items. ;)

Lord-Idolo
7th May 2012, 12:48 AM
Good idea. The only reason I bought the book is because of your post, thank you oh by the way. I think the seller has several left and I hope is has OLS stuff in it. I generally check ebay daily for OLS collectables just to what may come up. I read the four and only translated chapters of Future-Retro Hero Story. It's sad that they stopped at a cliffhanger like they did on OLS manga too.

Mantis
7th May 2012, 02:34 AM
To be honest with you, I haven't read FRHS yet. I have heard it's far less serious than Outlaw Star is, though, with somebody claiming it's sort of like a "high school drama", or something along those lines. O_o I also saw a bunch of FRHS drama CDs on eBay. Like the Outlaw Star drama CD, there probably isn't a cat in hell's chance of translating it.

In any case, if you're planning to translate the manga or other Ito works (or anything Outlaw Star for that matter), get in touch with me. I'd like to offer any assistance I can.

Lord-Idolo
7th May 2012, 04:44 AM
Fat chance unfortunately. I haven't spoke Japanese since I was four with a mix of English, Korean and Mandarin Chinese. I spoke like the detective from Blade Runner and many years of speech correction classes. FRHS is a cross between school drama and space adventure with fan service. what didn't know was Ito was the creator of NG Knight Lamune & 40 and Zegapain. That would explain Knights of Ramune pretty well (horrible plot, but great fan service).

Mantis
7th May 2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I've seen Zegapain, though it was above average at best. I'll have to check out the other one.

Somasol
7th May 2012, 06:05 PM
Oooh, very nice! Can't wait to see it scanned. :O

Lord-Idolo
22nd May 2012, 06:44 PM
Just picked up the mail and I have the book right now. From what I seen so far the FRHS does get into more like OLS manga. The first couple of chapters that are translated don't do the overall story justice. The book is really cool and FRHS look like a really good read. The wizards from Tenrei are in FRHS and there were a lot more of them with their own eccentricities. Hell they even have prototype Kei pirates foot ninjas. Great find and read and will do scans sometime this weekend. I would have taken photos, but I loaned my camera to my Mom.

Mantis
22nd May 2012, 07:07 PM
Hmm. I knew it was in the same universe, but I thought the relations to Outlaw Star were minimal. This is very interesting to know. I might be getting another Takehiko Ito creation known as Ryu Knight. It would be interesting to build a Takehiko Shrine of sorts. ;)

Lord-Idolo
22nd May 2012, 07:41 PM
I think you should get it since OLS is a sequel to FRHS of sorts. Urt did make a reference to FRHS at the end of "Hot Springs Planet Tenrei". And you can tell Ito borrowed some of the characters designs from FRHS into OLS.

Mantis
22nd May 2012, 08:46 PM
I think I might in the future when I have more money, but that might be a while.

Lord-Idolo
22nd May 2012, 11:07 PM
Well save up friend, It'll be worth it. I doubt they're going to sell out soon since FRHS is pretty unknown to the English speaking anime community. Ebay has three fore sell, two of which are from same seller I got mine. The damn thing even has a mini manga in the middle of it with gratuitous fan-service. :love:

(nose begins to bleed)
Ah crap, and I'm wearing a white shirt today.

Mantis
23rd May 2012, 03:09 AM
Heh. :) Well, from a link provided by Lord-Idolo I got this and an art book of a '90s space anime called Lost Universe for a cheap price. Thanks for that!

Lord-Idolo
23rd May 2012, 03:23 AM
Hope you got it for the price you wanted.

Mantis
30th May 2012, 05:23 PM
They arrived in the post today. I liked the little manga that was in the middle of the Take Out book. There was also another manga story which confused me a little, because none of the caption bubbles had text in them. Perhaps it's like that so the readers will fill them in themselves? Overall a great purchase, and I see what you mean about the art style. The Lost Universe art book is great too.

Zemekis
23rd June 2018, 12:30 AM
Like the Outlaw Star drama CD, there probably isn't a cat in hell's chance of translating it.

Which drama CD in particular are we talking about? Is that one of the ones you eventually did have translated around 2016? I know i'm reviving a thread from 2012, but i'm interested!!!

Mantis
23rd June 2018, 04:01 AM
Yes, that's right. It's the Sound & Scenario album. The first CD contains the drama episodes and some intermission tracks which mostly feature Gilliam II talking (I never got those translated as they're a lower priority) and the second CD has a few extra music tracks that weren't included in the main OSTs.

Zemekis
14th January 2019, 08:19 PM
Did the art book at the beginning of this thread ever get scanned by either of you?

Mantis
14th January 2019, 11:34 PM
Nope, and without a FRHS translation it's unfortunately near the bottom of the stack as there's little reason for people to take interest in a story that cannot be read. I wish I had some kind of helper monkey that could do the scans for me. =/

Zemekis
15th January 2019, 08:01 PM
Nope, and without a FRHS translation it's unfortunately near the bottom of the stack as there's little reason for people to take interest in a story that cannot be read. I wish I had some kind of helper monkey that could do the scans for me. =/

I've got a copy machine that can email scans at my office :D wanna mail some? lol

Mantis
15th January 2019, 08:59 PM
Nice try. ;) It's the debinding (quite literally butchering what you paid good money for) and the digital clean-up that's the biggest pain in the ass. Speaking of ass, that's what the pages often look like unless you spend hours doing reconstructive editing in Photoshop for every page. Maybe it'd be a simpler process for a very experienced scanner (er, person) but I try to ensure my scans are beautiful. Old habits die hard.

Zemekis
15th January 2019, 10:44 PM
Also speaking of ass, somebody said there was decent fanservice in this book?

Mantis
15th January 2019, 11:17 PM
I can't remember. I've read so many Outlaw Star (or Takehiko Ito) books, most of this one slips my mind admittedly. I can't see why there wouldn't be. Books like this one aren't that expensive if you know where to look.

Edit: Using the link in the OP, that's a really good price I can see for eBay. Typically, Japanese sellers on eBay price up their items insanely because they assume that westerners don't know any better. For instance, when I didn't know any better I paid over $100 for an art book back in the OSUK days. That same art book can be bought for a mere fraction of the price on Mandarake. (Best choice for most people as you don't need a proxy for importing. Failing that as they don't have everything, Yahoo Japan or Surugaya.)

Zemekis
16th January 2019, 02:20 PM
I can't remember. I've read so many Outlaw Star (or Takehiko Ito) books, most of this one slips my mind admittedly.

Whenever you get back to paging through it, let me know.