PDA

View Full Version : Legends of the Hidden Idolo

Lord-Idolo
26th June 2012, 04:07 AM
I'm going to give this online journal thing a try and hope to maintain.

For the last three weeks has been the busiest I've been in years since I started working full time. A lot was a mix of work and extracurricular activities of a organization I'm part of. For the work portion, since I never stated my profession I'm a civil engineer/draftsman (technician since I only got an associates degree for both) and work for construction company in Washington, but live in Oregon. I won't get into the nitty gritty details of what i do because I will spend a least an hour explaining it, so in short I travel to work sites talk to everybody there and they tell me or my manager of the progress and what changes they might need to do to the blue prints. I go back to the office consult the head architect (my manager) he checks and makes sure everything is within legal state standards and I go to my computer and make the changes with four others on Auto CAD. Send the changes to the sub contractors (thank god for secure e-mails) and that's more or less what I do. Sorry if I didn't explain this well, but for the rest of the story the last two weekends I had to travel with my Mom and Grandma to Portland, OR and visited my Uncle. Then a week later I had a convention I was a part of and helped out. Met a lot of neat and interesting people there and hope to meet again next year. I'll tell more later I need to sign off just saw a lighting strike out my window. Later tater.

Lord-Idolo
27th June 2012, 06:00 PM
Not so good news everybody or at least for me anyway. I came home from work and my TV was on with no signal sign on the screen. I have my flatscreen programed to turn on about fifteen minutes before I come home with the local news or whatever channel I left it on that morning, but not today. I noticed my DVR was not powered on so I pushed the power button and nothing happens. Then I unplugged it and replugged it and guess what happened. It started to make a high pitched noise and a lot of smoke started to come out of the fan in the back that filled my living room. Safe to assume that my DVR is dead which pisses me off because I have the Toonami line up that I missed for the last three weekends is gone with the Thundercats I've been recording among other movies and shows too.:@ The only real up side to this is I have the protection plan and they are sending me a new DVR hopefully by Friday.

Lord-Idolo
28th June 2012, 11:11 PM
Third post yay! Got out of work early today, our boss is feeling generous today and let all of us go at noon. This usually means a slow day and I'm not complaining. Got home and my dog had a funk that I didn't realize until now. So, the poor thing got a bath and is now unhappy with me for the day. At about 2:00 PM my DSL was randomly turning my internet on and off. Called my ISP was on hold for fifteen minutes with the first person and she told me she could not find my account. I'm using Centurylink, but it used to Qwest before CL bought them out a year ago, so there is the problem one same company different groups for problems. Waited another thirty minutes for the another person while they did test and found that they need to "refresh" my network. It seems to work so far, but they once again capped my speed to what used to be when I first got it. Can't get faster speeds because I live in the boonies. I'm really starting to think of getting wireless internet, but money is an issue right now so I have internet at least again. Still waiting for my replacement DVR.

Mantis
29th June 2012, 01:51 AM
It's nice to read this, especially with the regular updates. Sorry to hear the setbacks, though. It's interesting to see you work with AutoCAD and blueprints. I studied blueprints a little when I was working with 3D at university. Anyway, sounds like a cool profession and a busy one too. Heh, lightning. It's always pissing it down here, but I never get that.

Wow, that really sucks about the DVR. =/ Are you sure you can't pull the data off? Despite a lot of it being fried, it's possible the HDD is still intact surely. I hope you get your replacement soon. Damn, that's pretty crappy customer support. How much have they capped the speeds by? When you say wireless internet, I assume you mean cell/mobile internet. Anyway, it was an enjoyable read. :cool:

Lord-Idolo
29th June 2012, 02:17 AM
The work I do with AutoCAD is mostly buildings, storage and housing designs. It gets real complicated once you get into inside with pluming, electrical and so on. Some of my fellow employees use for redesigning ships from Babylon 5, Star Trek and Star Wars on their free time at home. As for the DVR, I have no idea how to recover the shows from it. Casshern Sins is on Hulu so I can watch it there. DMW I already seen as a fansub and at this point I can care less about Bleach. The wait I can tolerate it's the attitudes I can't, but they were decent so I can't complain to much. They capped me at 65 to 70 KB/sec download speed from 165 to 170 KB/s download speed. They say that is what I'm paying for and that is what I get, but no high speed internet where I live nice isn't it. If you mean putting a receiver on my roof to get internet then yes.

Mantis
29th June 2012, 02:37 AM
I would suggest since you have nothing to lose from it to open up the DVR using whatever means necessary and find the hard drive. It will likely either be a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive, and you'll be able to find an external USB hard drive enclosure on the internet. These are generally cheap since they don't come with a hard drive; rather, they allow you to connect a previously-internal hard drive via USB. I can't guarantee it's a working solution since it depends on whether the hard drive isn't badly damaged and the filesystem it uses (although I'm fairly sure the latter wouldn't be a problem), but if you value the videos it might be a good idea. However, you should ensure that your current hard drive(s) has enough free space to fit the data on your DVR on it. It probably won't be more than a 500GB hard drive in the DVR, if that. There may be a guide for your particular DVR model on how to retrieve the videos using your computer via a Google search.

Wow, 65/70, that sucks. Takes me back to the Freeserve dial-up days, although that was a little slower. Oh, right, I follow you. You mean satellite internet, or are you thinking of something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEq0bJ1s4QQ

Lord-Idolo
29th June 2012, 03:37 AM
Satellite internet, why couldn't I think of the word. I'm not too worried about the DVR now mostly I found other means to find the Toonami stuff on the web with the Thundercats too. I might as well have dial-up at these speeds. So, maybe after my trip I'll start searching for alternative ISP's though my options are limited due to where I live. The video is a nifty idea, but there are not too many WiFi signals out here and they are secured. If I only live next to a McDonald's or a coffee shop.

Lord-Idolo
29th June 2012, 07:44 PM
Got off work early again and have the next week off, nice. Getting ready for the trip to Lehman Caves tomorrow. Good news I got the new DVR today, set up and ready to go.:D Now I have to wait for it to updated before I set up the recordings of Toonami.:)

Mantis
30th June 2012, 05:30 PM
Excellent. Let's hope your DVR is exposed to a little Outlaw Star soon. :D

Lord-Idolo
1st July 2012, 04:59 AM
Here in the hotel and about ready to go to bed. Drove half of the trip and my aunt's cat scratched my poor dumb dog. He cornered the cat and fought back, so; he learned a hard lesson, but otherwise he's fine at home. Heading out tomorrow morning early and depending how I'm feeling after maybe some teaser pics. Good night, everybody!:)

Lord-Idolo
4th July 2012, 04:27 AM
Home and my dog is fine. No visible scratches on him and happy to see me.

Lord-Idolo
4th July 2012, 05:19 PM
Here are some pics of my trip to Nevada.

Lehman Caves:
[attachment=84]
[attachment=85]
[attachment=86]
[attachment=87]
[attachment=88]

Lord-Idolo
4th July 2012, 05:27 PM
Here are two pics from the Lexington Arch that we had to drive through Utah to get to. The panoramic pic was taken on my way down showing Nevada and Utah. This was a five hour hike altogether. The last pics is part of the Lehman Cave tour I almost missed showing you guys.

[attachment=89]
[attachment=90]
[attachment=92]

Mantis
4th July 2012, 06:43 PM
I loved the pics, but was the double post necessary? Maybe I should increase the pictures per post limit. Anyway, it looks like you had a fun time. I'm a little jealous.

Lord-Idolo
4th July 2012, 07:16 PM
Sorry about that, but it only let put five pics for the first post. The Northern Nevada Railroad was sort of a bust because they only ran the train once a day and missed it by two hours. Instead we went to the Charcoal Ovens first then the train museum. I'll post those pics later.

Lord-Idolo
6th July 2012, 04:24 AM
Back to work today, just been working on the computer all day. So, nothing much happened which is not a bad thing. Fed the dog and made my dinner and now dink-in on the internet. My calves still ache from the hike to the arch. Have to get a hold of my mom for the Charcoal Ovens pics since they are on her camera.

Lord-Idolo
10th July 2012, 12:52 AM
Happy news I have faster internet again for now. Today at work was a doosy, this was at a private resident house and we were contracted to build a work shop/storage and some fix ups on the house too ( i.e. fix the electrical, pluming and new bathroom stuff). Anyway, in the basement of the house he wanted us to remove a toilet. My boss and I were a little confused because we knew there was no direct sewage to the basement. He said it was a electric incinerating toilet he got from his Dad's boat. The day before he hired some day laborers to clean the basement of junk and didn't take the incinolet to the dump with the rest. We go down there with the foreman and there was a smell that would bring down a herd of Wilda beast. Come to find out the day laborers used it several times it was in another room and it was not plugged in to boot. A steel box full of human waste in easily 95 degree basement. We had to call a waste disposal group to clean it and get rid of it. Showed up, put on there haz-mat suits and cleaned that awful mess down there for four hours. Sadly, he got the bill for the clean up and I shutter the thought what it cost him.

Here is a video of a working incinolet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcwCVIiNxuw

Lord-Idolo
11th July 2012, 06:12 AM
Went out to dinner tonight with my Mom at Fuddruckers. Great burgers if you never had one from there and she gave a CD with the rest of the vacation photos. Here are five photos from the Charcoal Ovens that cause us to miss the train ride at the railroad museum. The last two pics are info signs about the ovens.

[attachment=93][attachment=94][attachment=95][attachment=96][attachment=97]

Lord-Idolo
20th July 2012, 06:47 PM
Sorry for not posting here for awhile. There is been a series of lighting storms been coming around my area for the past week. Some were so bad and so close it rattled my house a few times, but never lost power, go figure. Anyway, I'm not going to be home this weekend. I'm helping out at an OES yard sale and I'll be back on Sunday. Well, back to work lunch is almost over. Later taters;)

Mantis
22nd July 2012, 12:47 AM
Holy crap at the shitty post! (Double instances of "literally".) Haz-mat suits? Wow, that must have been embarrassing for the guy. Your day out (post after) sounded like good fun. As for storms, heck, if the power didn't go out I say bring 'em on. It would be an improvement here compared to the grey, drab weather that's the constant norm. Good luck with the yard sale.

Lord-Idolo
23rd July 2012, 12:19 AM
I'm back from my short trip to Grandma's. Lets face it, if I had to clean up human waste haz-mat suits would be the least I put on. Anyway, it was the white somewhat baggy body suits with the hoods and filtered masks, not the full bore ones were they had to wear oxygen tanks. They also had to check for mold while they were at it too because the waste might have created black mold or worse. The bill he was very expensive I tell you what (like for digits worth). The moral of this story is keep an eye on your hired help. The lighting storms were bad, but it stuck in the mid 90's the entire time and very muggy. The yard sale went great and we broke last year's earnings and I bought some non-anime related stuff like dress shirts and pants for work.

Mantis
23rd July 2012, 02:25 AM
Ouch, quite a hefty fine... =/ I'll keep that moral in mind. I'm glad to see the sale was successful. :)

Lord-Idolo
5th June 2015, 07:15 AM
Been over three years since my post on here. So here whats happened since then short version. Moved from our middle of nowhere place to another in a small rural town, but my commute to work is cut in half and have way faster internet. Moving is a pain in the ass, especially in the middle of the summer when it was 110 during the day and 95 at night. Took just over two weeks to do, but we got all our stuff out of one house to the other. Unfortunitly, two days after we were done moving my grandmother had a massive stroke that paralized the left side of her body. While dealing with that unpacking became the last piority and really didn't start unpacking almost four months later. The house I moved into was owned by two wheelchair bound people so when she temporarily moved in with me for a couple of months until her house was suited for her need and be wheelchair able. She was able to moved back to her house that December and my uncle now now is staying with her and taking care of her. Another bit of sad news to share also is that on January 23rd my dog Rusty past away at the age of 18. Some good news is that I adopted another dog a Jack Russle mix. He still needs some training, but a good dog still. I'll try to post here regularly. Until then, later.

Mantis
5th June 2015, 02:13 PM
Although we've caught up from time to time in the past three years, when you summarise all the crap that's happened in a post it really puts things into perspective. It sure hasn't been easy, but things are looking up this summer, right? You should post some photos of the new dog.

Lord-Idolo
1st July 2015, 07:37 AM
Sorry for not updating recently, but a lot been going on for me at home and at work. The at work part is normal just a lot of it being contracts always pick up during the spring and summer. At home however is a bit more complicated. I'll make it sort, my family got together after our family reunion I haven't been to in seven years and with long discussion we decided to sell my grandmother's house with her blessing and move her back with me temporarily until either my aunt finds a new place to move into or find a good retirment home with 24 hour care.

Mantis
1st July 2015, 06:24 PM
Your living/home situation sounds quite stressful. I hope you're able to manage that okay. All the best.

Lord-Idolo
13th September 2015, 07:11 AM
Hey guys sorry for the two months of being AWAL. The reason was that early last month at work I was putting boxes of old paper work in storage and I blew my back out. My boss told me to go home and if it wasn't better in two days he'll file worker's comp for me. After those two days I wasn't able to stand up straight without being in pain. So, I went to my doctor a week later and got x-rays gone. It was worse than we thought. I had two herniated disks in my lower back that required surgery mostly because two of the vertebrae were essentially rubbing together causing me pain. Luckily, I was able to get the surgery done last week and I now have fused vertebrae. Hoping to be back up and running in three weeks and back to work. So, that's what happened to and letting you guys now that I'm not dead. And I'll try to be back on here in two days for an update.

Mantis
14th September 2015, 11:01 AM
Sorry to hear that, Idolo. That sounds pretty terrible, but I'm glad you'll make a recovery in the coming weeks.

Lord-Idolo
15th September 2015, 04:34 AM
Glad too, could have been worst. Hoping after I see my doctor on Friday that he will let me back to work on "light duty". I don't mind being home with my Grandmother, but this made me realize there is truly nothing on TV in the middle of the day and Netflix can only do so much. Especially since the muscle relaxers I'm taking make me drowsy and Netflix at least stops running episodes from going on while I fell asleep. I'll make an update late Friday or sometime Saturday. Later

Mantis
15th September 2015, 09:12 AM
I'm currently watching a drama series called Bloodline which I'm finding pretty good so far. There's plenty of content on Netflix. You just have to open yourself up to it more, since I recall that you told me you don't like TV series very much unless it's science fiction. (Maybe I remembered this wrong.) Interestingly though, how'd you do that with Netflix? From time to time I fall asleep and I find it's continued for a few episodes. :aishaawkward:

AsherTheWilliams
15th September 2015, 05:13 PM
I've heard that Bloodline is supposed to be great as well. I need to add that to my queue.

Sorry to hear about your back Idolo, I'll be praying for your expedited recovery.

Lord-Idolo
6th October 2015, 05:08 AM
Sorry for not reporting when I said I would. Good news is everything looks good and healing. Can't wait for them to remove the stitches in three weeks they itch like hell when my shirt moves the wrong way on my back. If everything still looks good when I have the stitches removed my doctor will let me back to work.

AsherTheWilliams
15th October 2015, 05:09 PM
Sorry for not reporting when I said I would. Good news is everything looks good and healing. Can't wait for them to remove the stitches in three weeks they itch like hell when my shirt moves the wrong way on my back. If everything still looks good when I have the stitches removed my doctor will let me back to work.

Good to hear that the healing process is under way!
Hang in there mah boi!

Lord-Idolo
22nd November 2015, 08:39 PM
Well my back is better and the stitches are gone. Good news is I'm going back to work on Monday on "light duty". Was getting bored at home, but it's nice the Netflix is getting new anime on there more often.

Lord-Idolo
22nd December 2016, 06:11 AM
Haven't been on here for over a year. I really should update more often. Anyway, sorry for the not being on the forum for so long. For almost two weeks I had no internet at my house because of the snow and freezing rain storms. I have about two feet of snow that froze over because of the rain. I have the Nexus app, but I have yet to master it. Plus, other family stuff been happening too, but I won't get into further detail for now. Mantis, I hope all goes well for and I hope you enjoyed that tasty pizza and Dr Pepper. I'll really try to update soon. G'nite everybody.

AsherTheWilliams
25th December 2016, 03:02 AM
No worries man. You stay safe out there in the cold.
Hope you and the fam hang in there.

Here's some OS holiday fanart to wish you a Merry Crimbus!
http://img14.deviantart.net/f2d8/i/2010/358/8/c/merry_christmas_outlaw_star_by_danicaspirit-d35ka71.jpg

Mantis
27th January 2017, 12:40 PM
Thanks Idolo, and sorry for checking this thread this late. Hopefully your internet outages have come to an end? Winter's a bitch. I've never understood how many people choose it as their preferred season.

Lord-Idolo
16th May 2017, 05:41 AM
Sorry for long absence. My loptop that is only a year old had the hard drive die last month. I manage to back-up things regularly, but I forgot to back up my bookmark and passwords. Angry at myself for that, but good news is have it back in working condition all the nessecary stuff back on it.

Mantis
16th May 2017, 10:25 AM
Welcome back, Idolo. That really sucks about the laptop. At least you've got it in working order now. You should consider a solid state drive if you have the money for it. Laptop hard drives are much more likely to die since they're spinning discs inside and, well, laptops usually move a lot. SSDs don't have that problem. The downside is that the affordable ones usually aren't high-capacity.

Regarding backups, do you ever use cloud storage services? Also, I have my Google account tied to Chrome, so no matter where I am it'll quickly load up my bookmarks, passwords, etc. Very convenient.

Lord-Idolo
16th May 2017, 10:27 PM
I thought about the solid state drive, but as you said they are a bit on the pricey side. I'm still a little hesitant on the cloud storage mostly because I think they're not as secure as they claim. Call me old fashioned I still use external drives. I prefer the passport variants by Toshiba and they're pretty cheap now than what they were 10 years ago.

Lord-Idolo
28th September 2017, 06:26 AM
This was one busy ass summer for me and least it wasn't quit the scorcher like it was last summer. And it ended with my family reunion last weekend. Nothing like being grilled by family with these familiar questions like "Are you seeing somebody?", "when are you going to get married?", and "when are you going to have kids?". My parents don't ask me these questions and my answer is when I'm in my late 70's. Because by that point I will be too old and senile to care. And boy, they made me well aware I'm pushing into my mid-thirties. Other then that it was great to see everyone again with plenty of good food and drink.