PDA

View Full Version : [Review/Recommendation] Castle Town Dandelion

Juneberry
19th October 2016, 11:32 PM
I can never tell if I'm writing a review or a recommendation. Please bear with me.

Starting with the basics...Castle Town Dandelion (Joukamachi no Dandelion) is a slice-of-life/comedy with a quasi fantasy spin, as the primary characters (there are a ton of them, but I'll get into it later) all have special abilities, ranging from teleportation to making clones of themselves. The story focuses on nine siblings (yes, there are nine) with one episode focusing on the past of their parents. The show is mostly episodic (though makes reference to previous ones at times), and are all broken up into anywhere between one to three different stories featuring any of the siblings, basically.

A synopsis, via Anime-Planet:

Akane, a princess with the power to control gravity, competes against her eight super powered siblings for a spot on the throne. The catch? Each would-be ruler will be monitored 24/7 by hundreds of video cameras that broadcast their every move nationwide. As the royal siblings live their lives, their subjects will watch and eventually vote for a winner. But with privacy out the window, will the camera-shy Akane be able to keep her cool?

http://pa1.narvii.com/5845/0509f292991082bf5b891a5bb27f0ed9d8fe1357_hq.gif

When I first read that general information, I nearly had a panic attack. "It's about voyeurism?!" Never fear, that wasn't what it meant. There's just a LOT of security cameras around town. They do get put on TV constantly, but...Yeah. I'm just gonna be glad that was all it meant.

Things about the show:
It has 9+ main characters, which makes it REALLY hard to follow sometimes. Luckily, they always give general reminders of who is who, and the opening credits even show the characters with their names. There are a lot of jokes that are likely meant for mature audiences- like many anime. However, some are more notable than others (y'know, the usual breast talk among sisters vs. an episode focusing on someone trying to tell Akane she went to school without a skirt...). After the ending credits there is always a random fan-done drawing (or I think they're fan done) of any character/characters in the show. So it's a fun reason to watch the ending theme too.

Though the concept is pretty common and focuses mostly on simple everyday occurences, the way the characters' powers play in is pretty interesting- albeit with nine+ characters that have such powers (only the royal family does, by the way)...It can be hard to follow/remember. But when you have a character that can control the weight of herself and anything she touches, a guy who's power is solely perfect probabilities (those of you who like Reborn, think of Fuuta almost), and a girl who can make seven clones of herself (each relating to 'one of the seven deadly sins' to some degree)...Well, it's kind of all sorts of insanity.

What I like besides this, however, is that all the characters are pretty unique overall. They all definitely have downfalls (sometimes related to their powers, mostly not)... But they all also have their charms. And learning what caused certain pieces of their personalities- such as WHY Akane hates publicity (which we find out towards the end)...It's a pretty fun ride, all points considered! Though I still can't figure out how they're all siblings at all. By blood. If you look below, you'll see JUST HOW DIFFERENT they all look. And based on the mom's history (we see one episode with her family) it's 99% from her, I'd think.

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2015/07/09/ctdfamilyjpg-9bebbe_610w.jpg

See what I mean? While the show isn't perfect by any means, it has plenty of silliness and unusual abilities to go around. It isn't meant to be serious, though it can be at times- but mostly, it fits the genre of "Comedy"...And insane. Definitely insane too. (But I liked it, so that might not be shocking...)

I ended up liking it enough to give it a 4/4.5 out of 5 stars. I can't quite explain why, it just...Really called out to me. Who knows? It might call out to you too!