PDA

View Full Version : Mainstream music?

KorinKitty
8th March 2017, 12:28 AM
So it has been sometime since I actually listened to a radio. I can't tell you what is even popular right now. I think a song that was popular in 2011 would be new to me. LOL With that being said... I don't listen to it. I tend to not like it. It all sounds the same. I mean I guess that a lot of it is catchy but when you actually pay attention to the lyrics, they are just horrible! I am one of the snobby people who says they can't stand mainstream music. No, I am not trying to be a hipster, I just haven't liked it since like the early 2000's. Does anyone else not enjoy the current mainstream music and the direction it has went?

Consumed
8th March 2017, 03:57 AM
I'm the same way. The only music I listen to is anime soundtracks and occasionally 90's rock

Every once in a while I'll hear a song blasting through the ceiling speakers of a shopping center that I'll like, but that's a rare occasion. I kinda feel out of the loop

Starwind55
8th March 2017, 05:15 AM
Mainstream music reeked of failure ever since the early 2000s. If you want good shit, you gotta scour youtube or check out places like bandcamp or soundcloud.

KorinKitty
8th March 2017, 11:36 PM
Mainstream music reeked of failure ever since the early 2000s. If you want good shit, you gotta scour youtube or check out places like bandcamp or soundcloud.

I will admit, a lot of the early 2000 stuff did suck but I was into alternative rock mostly which to me, didn't seem so bad until you get to about 05/06 when everyone and everything sounded a like. I sound like an old fart haha

Mojari
12th April 2017, 09:44 PM
Well I am a 90's baby and I definitely love the music of the 80's and 90's :D Listening to mainstream music right now makes me want to ask what happened to the music scene and where did the "real" artists have gone? It's just sad that we can only consider a few good "real" artists at this time who makes good music and doesn't use auto-tune to sound good.

Gamesis
12th April 2017, 10:20 PM
Well I am a 90's baby and I definitely love the music of the 80's and 90's :D Listening to mainstream music right now makes me want to ask what happened to the music scene and where did the "real" artists have gone? It's just sad that we can only consider a few good "real" artists at this time who makes good music and doesn't use auto-tune to sound good.

As someone from 90's as well, I don't think that we have lost any real artists in the next generation. The thing about old things (the music that you've been listening since you've been young) is that you'll naturally be attached to them. We tend to be biased towards our childhood music because of the nostalgia. It isn't a bad thing but we tend to look only at the gems. When I was young, sure they was good music, but there was bad music as well--and there was a lot of it. When I listened to the radio, 2 out of the 5 songs were good and the other 3 bad or average at most. It was the same thing as today--a few 'real' artists with good music.

We have forgotten about the bad songs in the past. We had the 80's and 90's classics but if I began to start listing the songs that I found absolutely horrendous in the 80's and 90's, I might not stop. With the help of YouTube, we have access to all music. In the past, the radio selected popular songs (tended to be better) and then played them. We had CDs of the music but the CDs also only had good music in them because ultimately they wanted to sell those CDs and earn money. But YouTube? My Aunt wanted to become a singer when she was young but it was so tough to become one in the 80's. You needed connections or real talent. If YouTube would have existed during her era, she would have just uploaded the video(or the audio on SoundCloud).

My point is that today it is very simple for anyone to become an artist...which is obviously going to lead to deterioration of quality of music. However, I think that personally it's a good thing because it gives people more chances. The only difference that I notice between now's music and 90's music is that now with so many songs being uploaded per day, you have to work a little bit harder to find the gems. The gems still exist and will always do.

Working Buck
16th April 2017, 06:52 PM
I stick to some 80s and 90s music and a bit of some new ones, when I say new ones they aren't the ones from this year or last year. I find mainstream music as nit music anymore. There isn't any art to it, lyrics sound like they aren't well thought of, face melting guitar solos are gone, and rappers who can spit real rhymes are gone. I'm not saying all of the mainstream artists are whack, there are quite a few who still do have talent, but unlike back in the days where you get to see a ton of talented people.