PDA

View Full Version : And now deep thoughts by Starwind55

Starwind55
26th June 2017, 05:41 AM
I wasn't sure if I should have a journal since I lead a pretty boring life. However, I see quite a few members have one here so I figured that I'll be a filthy conformist and have one of my own. I don't intend on this to be strictly a journal but use this to post thoughts, rants, words of wisdom or whatever I have on my mind at the moment. I want to do this mainly to strike up some conversations so you folks can either chime in with your views or you can also tell me that I'm full of shit if you want. I don't know how often I'll post on this but I'll just say that this will be updated on a "whenever I feel like it" basis.

So I guess the big news at the moment for me is I'm about to become an uncle. My brother is going to have his first child with his girlfriend and they are expecting the child sometime this fall. I'm somewhat nervous since I'm going to be part of this child's life and I'm not sure how good of an influence I'll be on kid, not that I'm going to be the one doing the raising. I also feel a bit of a pressure since I see some of my old friends getting kids and now my brother is getting one. On one had, I feel like I'm being left in the dust on this but on the other hand I don't know if I have the patience or the attention span to be a good father, not to mention my job is good for living on my own but hardly one to use for supporting a family. Right now, I'm just focusing on getting by. Never say never though. I'm sure some folks out there didn't set out to be a father and they end up being good fathers in the end. Who knows? Time will tell at this point.

I also have an 11 day weekend coming up. I had a lot of PTO saved up so I used that for the July 4th week going well into the week after. This is going to be something I look forward to since work has been stressing me out as of late. Normally, the summer months are pretty relaxed but for some reason this season has been quite hectic with little downtime. Normally, I manage to cope with it but this time for some reason the stress has been putting me in a sour mood and, with some of the people I deal with on the phone, I tend to feel an urge to punch something. The little vacation coming up should be of help. I just want to use it to relax, have some fun and now deal with the crap going down at work. Beyond that, not much plan for July 4th itself. My friend and I are going to a concert on July 3rd. I'm looking forward to hanging out with my friends but not so much the band. It's a small time band that specializes in covering songs popular in the 80s. For some reason, my town's music scene consists of either these cover bands or hipster bullshit. We never really get any solid bands that come our way unless it's some has been band that hasn't been popular in ages. Still, it'll be something to do and I'm sure the booze that I'm bound to drink will make it tolerable.

So that is that at the moment. If you want to leave your thoughts, than you are certainly more than welcome to!

Lightfreed
29th June 2017, 05:16 AM
I swear last year was a baby rush on my Facebook feed. Luckily, my close friends aren't part of that list lol. I think it's great that you want to present yourself properly for your nephew's life. Shows you care and stuff. Hope you get out that stress that you got going

Starwind55
30th June 2017, 06:55 AM
I hear ya there. I know a few good friends from high school who are now fathers. It's kind of nuts to be honest. I feel that I should be at least presentable to the nephew/niece. I don't know how good I'll be at it but I have no choice but to give it a shot.

One more day and my 11 day vacation begins. This week hasn't been that bad for the most part. Still, I really need this just so that way I can recharge a bit and enjoy some free time.

Oh, and I just want to go on a slight rant here. So I got Outlaw Star on Blu Ray and got through the first four episodes. It's fantastic and the picture quality is excellent. But it suffers from a problem that I've seen from other DVD or Blu Ray movie...you can't skip the friggin previews. You can't fast forward and you can't skip. You have to sit there and watch a trailer for an anime that was released by Funimation a long ass time ago. To be fair, it's just one trailer but it's still annoying as shit. Hey Funimation, if we want to watch a trailer for an anime, then we'll go on youtube or go into the bonus feature on the Blu Ray and watch your damn trailers. Don't force us to sit there and make us watch it. We buy physical copies so we can get away from that shit. I hear folks, especially voice actors who do stuff for Funimation, who say that you shouldn't pirate anime and all that. You want to know why they pirate anime? That's one of the fucking reasons why so cut that shit out.

Gamesha
30th June 2017, 06:29 PM
All you really need to be a good uncle is love. Kids know when someone has a good heart. Wait until you see that sweet little face and hold that baby for the first time. You'll melt, and you'll be in instant uncle mode.

Wow, an eleven day weekend sounds too good. I wouldn't know what to do with that much time with no demands being made on me. Holy crap. I hope you enjoy every minute of it and get your battery recharged. Wait, that almost sounded .. off color, but you know what I mean, ha ha. Enjoy!

Lightfreed
3rd July 2017, 05:08 AM
Got the blu ray? That's great! It's definitely on my list. My issue is that I can't watch dvds on my PS4. So annoying. So I use my brother's PS3 to watch my outlaw star box set lol.

Mantis
4th July 2017, 03:42 AM
Well I've enjoyed reading it. My life is equivalent to watching paint dry, so I'm more than happy to see another thread on this sub-forum! You're overthinking the whole uncle thing in my opinion. I became an uncle when I was ten. It felt kinda awkward holding babies at that kind of age. But really, it won't seem so bad and you'll get used to it sooner than you think. :) Enjoy being an uncle. Personally I plan on being child-free and enjoying the freedom that comes with it. Being an uncle is like being a very part-time parent.

I hope you're enjoying the vacation. The Outlaw Star problem sounds frustrating as hell. I don't have the problem with my Xbox One. You might be having this issue with other films/TV simply because of your Blu-ray player. Which one is it?

Starwind55
5th July 2017, 02:16 AM
Gamesha:

I don't know. Little babies tend to annoy me a bit. It's grating sometimes when you're out in public and some kid is crying and the parent doesn't do a damn thing to get him/her to settle down. Still, I intend to do my best whenever I get with the kid. I'm sure I can figure something out that would calm him down if he acts up.

Lightfreed:

Strange to hear that your PS4 can't read DVDs. You consider taking it to a shop to have it looked at? Then again, that's probably a lot more money than it's worth. At least you have alternatives to watch your movies on so that's good.

Mantis:

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy reading my post. I honestly didn't know how interested people on here would be reading it but if folks are responding then I must be doing something right. I think you're right about being an uncle. It's not like I'm the one raising the kid. Still, I guess it's just about making a good impression on the kid and making sure that I'm not a bad influence. I have a flippant attitude that I'm not sure my brother would want to have the baby being around. On the other hand, I've had friends whose parents were...shall we say eccentric and they turned out fine for the most part.

I use my PS4 as my blu-ray player. I don't think this is a technical problem. I have other blu-ray/dvd movies where I can skip to the main menu just fine. It's just that some companies really REALLY want you to see their trailers. I've had other dvd and blu-ray movies that pulled this on me, though some of them I can just fast forward through. Still, it's annoying as hell and it makes me sympathetic to folks who pirate movies and anime.

Well, it's been a decent 4th of July. I did my Independence Day celebration back on the 3rd with a friend of mine As I mentioned in my first post, we went to a concert that was an 80s tribute band. The music is exactly what you expect from a cover band. The lead singer would dress as the various lead singers for each of bands that they covered which is tacky to say the least. They weren't horrible but I would rather listen to a band who makes their own material. My friend and I debated over this. He said that these guys is the closest you get at seeing the original bands in concert since a good portion of those bands don't tour anymore. Thing is, if I wanted to listen to Twisted Sister, I'd listen to Twisted Sister not a bunch of nobodies who just cover songs without doing anything interesting. I'm sounding negative but it was still a good time since I got to hang out with my friend. I'm glad I had a few drinks before coming because holy shit, the lines for the beer tents there were outrageous. There were only two of them and the lines would go on forever. You were lucky to wait 20 minutes before you were even able to order your drink. I had to get two drinks just so I didn't have to go back.

Afterwards, me and my friend did some bar hopping. We stopped at a few bars, one of which was usually hipster douchebag central. We only went there because the bar we were going to was closed at the time. It was actually a cool experience this time since it had some pretty sweet techno music playing there. After that, we headed back to my place to sober up by watching High School DXD (My friend is a sucker for hot anime girls with rocking tits). A fun evening all around.

So for July 4th itself, I was originally planning on playing some video games but it was so gorgeous out that I didn't want to be cooped up in my apartment all day. Normally, I'd go to the park downtown but I wanted to avoid the crowd since it's party central for the July 4th Shenanigans. I decided to go on the nature trail that was nearby where I lived. I love going down there as the place is very calming and just allows me to think about things. I would love to walk down it on a moonlit night but I was told it was a bad idea since it supposedly attract some rather unsavory folks. I think the place will be just as beautiful come this autumn when the leaves turn color. I was able to snag some pics of my little adventure to share with you. This first one right here turned out rather nicely.

There was a nearby creek that I thought was worth some pics as well.

After I was done at the trail, I headed out east a bit to look over Lake Superior. It's beautiful to look over. I usually walk the lake walk and stop to look out into it just to admire the scenery. I figured I took some pics of these too.

Also figured I'd get a pic of the duluth bridge but this one didn't turn out so good.

So that was my little 4th of July adventure tale for you. Hope you enjoyed reading it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch some more Outlaw Star.

Lightfreed
5th July 2017, 09:22 AM
Nice pictures! Looks real peaceful

Starwind55
16th July 2017, 11:54 AM
So originally it was going to be a night with the boys, but he had to bail as he was broke at the time. I was thinking about hanging out at home but it was such a gorgeous evening that I didn't want to be cooped up in my apartment so I figured I'd go out for a few drinks. I tried drinking alone before but I gave up on it since I found myself getting bored and depressed but I figured a couple of drinks wouldn't hurt in this instance. One of the bars had a blues band that played it's own material. What a shocker considering this town is obsessed with cover bands! Beyond that, nothing too eventful. Just headed home after that and then watched Bravo's 100 scariest movie moments on youtube. A decent evening all around.

Beyond that, I also finally got back to work earlier this week and getting back into the swing of things went smoothly...well, except for this one dipshit on the phone who was constantly interrupting me and being belligerent with me while going over dates and times but aside from that it was a smooth transition.

Lightfreed
17th July 2017, 12:27 PM
We can all drink together during an anime viewing haha. Sounds like a nice night to be out and about. Music and booze and all.

Mantis
19th July 2017, 05:30 PM
Wow, I like the pictures! :D I'm glad you figured out a way to enjoy the evening on your own.

Starwind55
20th July 2017, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the kind words, Mantis! Yeah, those pics turned out rather nicely. I certainly want to go back to the trail. Want to experience it some more before winter comes since summer is almost over...July is just about done. Holy damn, where does the time go? Fall is coming up pretty soon. I actually look forward to Fall. I like the autumn weather since it gives me a strangely comfy feeling. Since this is Minnesota we're talking about, however, fall wont last for long and then it's back to snow and sub zero temperatures. Oh, and icy sidewalks!

Lightfreed:

That I'm all for...well, maybe not Sunday. I make it a point to not drink when I know I have work in the morning. Who knows? Maybe our next session I might bust out the hard cider.

Starwind55
31st July 2017, 01:47 AM
So Saturday night was pretty fun. I decided to have a good few friends of mine come over. I bought mead for the occasion. Why you ask? Well a manly get together needs a manly beverage. This is something we do regularly. One friend showed up on time but the other one didn't show up until 6:30 when he should've been there like an hour before. So to kill time before he arrived we shot the shit about various subjects and then watched Space Patrol Luluco, a nice little show from Studio Trigger. It's not as good as their other shows like Inferno Cop or Kill la Kill but it's an entertaining romp all the same. My other friend finally arrived to which we would normally watch another anime but he insisted on Ash vs. Evil Dead and...well, being the Army of Darkness fan that I am, how could I resist? We were only able to get through 2 episodes but I had a lot of fun with that show. It's fun to see Bruce Campbell back in the saddle even if he is an old geezer. He can still pull off Ash and that's what matters. After we wrapped that up and after my friend wanted to show my other friend a...rather naughty anime game, we headed up for a night of adventure and booze.

Our first stop was at an old cider house. There was supposed to be a pig roast going on but it looks like there were no longer serving at that point. We still decided to stop by for a drink. It was early evening that time and we got to sit outside the patio and just took in the evening and the view of the lake. I wish I had some pics taken. We also saw quite a number of horses. Where I live, one the attractions is to ride around in a carriage around a small part of the area. I think 3 passed by. Coincidentally, a few cops came by on horseback too. I personally think that it's a bit a waste of tax payer money for the police to have their own horse unit but what can I say?

We were feeling hungry so we stopped by at a nearby restaurant. As we sat down, it hit me that this was the same place that a friend that I knew since kindergarten worked there as one of the head chefs. I asked one of the waiters if he was working tonight and he was unsure. I decided that he probably wasn't working...lo and behold, he came out to speak with me! Granted, he couldn't talk for long since he was still on duty but we were able to chat for a brief period and even traded numbers so we can stay in touch. He usually goes on hiking trips and said I'm welcome to come along so I hope to do that with him before the end of the summer.

Beyond that, we went to a few other bars, bonded, got a light snack at a bar where we lamented that the movie their were showing is some crappy comedy and not Terminator 2 like they showed the last time. A fun evening all around. I love these get togethers. After a hard weeks work, it's awesome to get together for some good ol' fashion male bonding.

Starwind55
1st January 2018, 09:52 AM
It's been awhile since I posted in this thread. With it being Christmas, I thought I might talk about it just a little bit.

It wasn't exactly an eventful time, but it was nice to be with the family. On Christmas Eve, I just came up to hang out and have pizza and had spent time with the family and then on Christmas morning, we had pancakes and opened presents. I didn't get a whole lot of gifts but the ones I got were pretty cool. I got myself an air fryer which I haven't used yet but holy crap is it huge. I have to let it sit on my counter since none of my cubbards are big enough for it to fit. I also got a comic called Army of Darkness: Ash Saves Obama (Yes, that's a real comic) and I got the Book "Ready Player One". Haven't read it yet but I've been hearing nothing but good things about it. My brother came up with his new child I.E. my new niece. She was born just a few weeks ago and I was able to hold her for a brief moment. She is a fine baby and I'm just hope that I'm up to the task to be a good uncle to her. Then, we went to my mother's side of the family for dinner. This was the least exciting thing for me since I never had much a connection with them so I was mostly bored. Not that I have a problem with them or think they are bad people but I just never was particularly close to them compared to my immediate family so I just had to hear them talk to my mom about various subjects including someone close to them getting injured and needs her leg amputated and how my Mom's new dog got injured because he thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with a deer. Why they felt this was good Christmas conversation, I don't know but there it is. Still, it was a nice laid back Christmas with the family, as it typically is, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

New Year's was boring. I was originally going out with a few friends of mine but one of my friends chickened out because it was cold outside. I walk to work in that weather on a regular basis so he has no excuse in being such a sissy but I digress. :aishalaugh: So I pretty much just relaxed. I took advantage of a Steam sale and got Vikings: Wolves of Midgard, a Diablo-ish game with...while, I think you can guess from the title what the subject matter is. It's actually a pretty good game so far. Perhaps not the best Diablo clone but it was good for the price that I purchased. Now that it's January, I can finally request my time off to head off to an anime con in April. That's one of the big things that I'm looking forward to this year.

Mantis
2nd January 2018, 11:12 AM
Nice update. Most people probably don't have very eventful Christmases. At least you're honest about that. I've only learned about an air fryer by name, no idea what they are exactly. It sounds like you're happy enough with it though. ;) One would assume they're a healthier version of a deep fryer? (I really want a deep fryer though, lol.)

Ah, Army of Darkness! It's one of those films that's been on my watch list for hell knows how long that I'm honestly not sure how I haven't watched yet. I guess our next film is decided? The comic sounds amusing. :D

I keep seeing Ready Player One on my Amazon devices, of course my Kindle most of all. Let me know if it's actually any good.

Is this niece your first niece? Yeah, I know the feeling as an uncle of four and I'm gonna keep one of my nephews and my niece occupied with some video games today. I'm sure you'll be a great uncle to her. It's brilliant being an uncle. It's like being a father without all the extra baggage of responsibilities. :beer:

I understand what you're saying about the relatives. That does sound a bit morbid for Christmas. Which state do you live in? It's chilly here but people still go out! Can't be that bad, can it? Kinda sucks when one person screws up a whole event.

Diablo-ish, eh? (Not played it.) Glad you had fun anyhow. Which con are you going to?

Starwind55
3rd January 2018, 06:11 AM
Basically, yeah. It's a big ol'd thing that circulates hot air to cook your food. It's more meant for snack type stuff like french fries, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, ect. though according to the manual, you can cook whole chickens and burgers in it too if you wanted. Because it doesn't use oil, it makes the food slightly more healthy. Still haven't tried it yet, but I plan on going grocery shopping next pay day to which I intend to get maybe some fries or onion rings or whatever to try it out.

I forgot that you haven't seen Army of Darkness yet. Our next movie night is decided indeed! Actually, we should make it a double feature alongside Evil Dead 2. I figured we skip the first one since it's a straight up horror movie with none of the humor of the other two. The first 10 minutes or so of Evil Dead 2 is basically a kind of, sort of recap of the first movie anyway so you wont be lost. The comic is a lot of fun though, sadly, Obama doesn't factor as much in the story as the title would lead you to believe but it's still an entertaining read all the same.

True about responsibilities for the niece. I'm not the one raising her after all! My brother lives 3 hours away from me and he only comes up a few times a year, maybe a little bit more. Still, I'm thinking of how to leave a positive impact on her. I was thinking about writing some stories for her when she gets old enough to read. Figured that would be a fun thing for her and make her look forward to ol' Uncle Starwind!

I live in Minnesota which gets really damn cold. At the time of writing it's 4 degrees (Or -16 Celsius). My friends are going to be joining up this weekend to make up for last weekend so that will be fun at least.

The con I'm going to is called Anime Detour (https://www.animedetour.com/), which is held in Minneapolis. It's been an annual thing with me and my buddies as we go down for the weekend that consists of guns, booze and anime (Not at the same time mind you ;) ). We go to a shooting range on the way down usually and then head for the cities for our weekend fun. I should have enough money by next payday to cover the cost of the hotel and then after that it's to put aside some more money for the next few months to cover things like food and shit for the dealer's room. It's going to be a long few months.

Starwind55
8th April 2018, 11:36 PM
Hello again folks! If I've been quiet of the boards for the past few days, it's because I was down at an anime convention with a few good friends of mine. It was a great time being that went by way too quickly for my taste. Why is that things like work drag but having fun goes by in a new york minute?! I digress however and I have a lot of pics that might interest you.

So before the convention, we were at an aquarium. It was a really cool experience checking out the fish and there was even an underwater tunnel that you can go under where you can see sharks swimming over you! Alas, my phone was being a piece of shit at that time so I was unable to get any pics of the sharks. My phone was working enough where I got some pics of some of the stingrays and some fishes. Sorry for the pics being blurry (Another reason why I need to get a new damn phone)

After a quick supper, we headed back to the hotel room to which the drinks were busted out (Including sake, among other drinks) and we started off with New Dominion Tank Police but then we became scatterbrained and just moved on to watching a bunch of funny vids on my friend's computer one of which being quite possibly one of the funniest youtube videos I have seen in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvVpdN4ERcc

Oh yeah, and we all took a selfie because why the fuck not? (This was taken from my friend's camera, hence the better quality)

Fast forward to the morning and after downing a stack of $20 pancakes, it was off to the con. There wasn't too many interesting panels during the day but there was a panel dedicated to 90s anime fandom where the one of the guys doing the panel kind of made fun of my friend. They were talking about this crazy anime where you have to power mechs by fondling women (I wish I can remember the name but I forget at this point) my friend out loud said, "Oh, I've seen that!" and the panelists response was a sly "Of course you have.". We headed off to the dealer's room sometime after that. This caught my eye.

You would not believe how tempted I was in buying this. The Guyver doesn't get enough love these days and I would've loved to hang this on my wall. However, I didn't have much money for dealer room stuff so I had to decide against it. There was a really cool figma Roger Smith (from The Big O) that looked really cool but I had to decline that as well. I only ended up buying a couple of things from the dealer's room. First up was the OVA for Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. I wasn't really a fan of the TV series but the footage of the OVA that I've seen online looked more action packed so I figured I'd pick it up since it's worth a watch. I also got a few doujins from Joji Manabe since I don't recall seeing these particular ones online.

My friend had a panel dedicated to hentai games. It got a huge response as the panel room was packed. I wasn't even able to get in and had to watch from the doorway! It was fun to see him play them and everyone was having a lot of fun. In a divisive world, it's always good to see that hentai can make us put aside our differences and come together. :D

There was a game room that had some classic arcade games. You ever seen a dinosaur play an arcade game? No? Here, let me fix that for you!

Speaking of people in funny costumes, it was cosplay galore at the con and managed to snag a few pics. This first one greatly impressed me.

Not the biggest Gundam fan but I appreciate the craft and dedication in getting this built.

Next up I believe is supposed to be Elias from one of the later episodes of The Ancient Magus Bride (Still need to finish that series) I just wanted to take a pic since he looked metal as fuck.

There was a really nice one of Geralt from The Witcher.

Here is one you don't see very often at these conventions...Jay and Silent Bob!

Found the wizards from Magika

Our good sun praiser, Solaire of Astora

A particularly cool one of Megumin from Konosuba

Saitama from One Punch Man

And then there is...well, take one friggin guess.

I have more but this would go on forever. Anywho, it's back to normal, everyday life. Hope you like the pics!

Mantis
9th April 2018, 12:03 PM
Damn Starwind, these are some great photos. It makes me a bit jealous of those who live close to these events. Digging the aquarium photos as I love aquariums, perhaps more so than zoos. I think I saw a photo of you before, so I'm going to guess that you're in the middle of the selfie. It's a shame you couldn't get the Guyver poster since we discussed it on Steam. How much did it cost? I bet they really overprice things at cons. (What a con!)

So you weren't a huge fan of Phantom either? I thought it was great at the start but they started fucking it up after the first arc. Some nice cosplay there, especially the Gundam one. I hope you promoted OSN to Gene! :@ At any rate, I'm glad there was some Outlaw Star cosplay there at all.

Starwind55
10th April 2018, 03:32 AM
Wait, I was supposed to recruit him to the boards? Uh....ooops. I don't recall getting that memo from you. ;p Actually, I did notice that some Outlaw Star cosplayers pop up at these cons every now and then. I remember a few years back, there was a really good Melfina cosplayer roaming around but I never got the chance to take a pic of her sadly. I think a year or two ago there was a group cosplaying as Gene, Aisha and Suzuka and managed to get a pic. I think I still have that on my phone. I'd check but I'm too lazy right now so I'll go through my phone later to see if I can find it.

That aquarium was awesome. It's funny because that place is inside the Mall of America. My parents would take me there all the time as a kid but they never took me to the aquarium. It was my first time down there. They had this really cool room that was dark and jellyfish with various colored lights in the tanks. They just looked so elegant and cool. I so wanted to snag a pic but this was around the time that my phone died.

For the selfie, well you got me dead to rights! I realized that me and my friends never took a photo of ourselves for the occasion so I thought it'd be cool to do.

The poster was like $42 if my memory serves me right. I suppose for a rare poster like that, it's not too bad of a price but it was beyond what I could afford. Besides, I don't think I'd have room for it in my apartment anyway. You're not wrong about the dealer's room jacking up the prices. Some of the older stuff I can understand but when it comes to things like newer DVDs and blu-rays, it's crazy. I saw the blu-ray set for Outlaw Star for like 110 bucks which was far more than the one I paid for! The cool thing about the dealer's room is sometimes you can find some older, rarer stuff. I saw one dealer selling old-school Golgo 13 figures and even some Lupin the 3rd figures. I'm kicking myself for not saving up more dough for it but it's kind of tough to do when the con is held downtown and most restaurants are a pretty penny.

For Phantom, I just remember the show being kind of a drag and most of the characters were kind of flat. Then again, I remember walking into that show thinking it was going to be a guns-blazing actions series so maybe I just went into it with the wrong expectations? Maybe after watching the OVA, I'll give the show another watch to compare.

Starwind55
2nd October 2018, 12:11 PM
You know, it's been awhile since I've done something with this blog, hasn't it? I figured I'd drop by to give a bit of an update.

I typically hate bitching about work since I'm thankful for having a job at the end of the day. I've been unemployed for 6 months a number of years ago and my job is something I appreciate but...they haven't exactly making that easy for me to do lately. So recently, someone thought it was a good idea to drop on us programs that we were never trained for and decided not to even let us know until well after we started getting calls for these programs and then the higher ups expect us with a straight face to help the customers calling in. Their thought process was that, since the programs we're dealing with were identical to the ones that we've already been doing, they figured we didn't need any training. Still, would it have killed them to at least let us know before just deciding to dump all of this crap on us? It's just been stressful trying to keep up with this shit.

The fact that I seem to be suffering from insomnia isn't really helping either. This seems to have been going on through most of the summer until now. I find myself not able to fall asleep through the whole night and then when I start work in the morning, I seem fine but as the day drags on, I find myself getting tired as shit and wondering where the hell this sleepiness was when I needed it the most. After work, I would find myself maybe going on the computer for awhile and then feel a bit chilly so I get in my bed and I find myself sleeping for maybe 3-4 hours and then the cycle begins again. It's beginning to piss me off since it's becoming a waste of my evening. It's like, go to work, nap, then maybe get up to go to the bathroom or whatever and then lay on my bed waiting for a sleep that doesn't come. I've been thinking about taking some supplements to help with this but I fear that it could lead to a dangerous path if I'm not careful.

I've been gaining weight too. 236 lbs the last I checked. I've been wanting to go the gym but with my insomnia taking up a huge chunk of my weekend, I haven't been doing a very good job of making consistent visits to there. I'm gonna at least try to crack down on it and my goal is to be at a healthier weight by March. It's going to be tough since the holidays and certain events (One of which I'll bring up in a moment). Damn it, I hate that good food makes you gain weight. It's a pain in the ass to try to get the weight off and keep it off. I managed to do it once and I can do it again so hopefully I'll stick my nose to the grindstone and get in shape ASAP.

OK, so now that I'm done bitching, how about some positive stuff for once? I saw Die Hard on the big screen! A locally owned theater was doing a showing of that last Friday and I headed out to see it. There were some coworkers that was supposed to be joining up but they couldn't make it for some reason. Still, it was the perfect crowd as everyone was quoting alongside the movie and cheering at a lot of the moments in the movie. If your theater ever does a screening for this flick, go.

And in the next few weeks, I'll be off to another con with a friend of mine. My friend was trying to get me to go to this one for awhile and I relented. It's not quite as big as the con that I went to earlier this year but it seems like it'll be a fun weekend getaway at least. I'll be sure to take some pics while I'm at it. I have a new phone so the pics will be of a better quality. Who knows? There might be a Outlaw Star cosplayer or two and if there is, I'll make sure to snap a pic of that!

Messup434
30th October 2018, 03:57 AM
I was just reading through this thread, and I have to say that your pictures are gorgeous! I always wonder how people can take things like that haha.

Iím sorry to hear about the issues youíve been having though. Although it probably wonít make you feel completely better, you have to remember that each negative is part of a domino-effect (confusing job leads to insomnia leads to gaining weight). So once that first ďdominoĒ is stood-up, the other two should stay standing, as well. Also, remember that you canít really blame yourself for this in any sense.

Good luck!

Starwind55
31st October 2018, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the kind words about the photos. Personally, I think some of them could be better since they were taken by my old, crappy cell phone. I've actually have doing better on the sleep. My job recently changed my shift so I had no choice but to change my sleep schedule but it's much, much better. I don't have trouble falling asleep and now I've been hitting the gym more and more...granted, I think I spoiled one of my gym days by eating something that wouldn't help my diet but hey, baby steps. I set a goal for myself to be at a better weight by the beginning of 2019.

Mantis
31st October 2018, 04:08 PM
Aw shit. I completely missed the entry from a few weeks ago. It must have been swallowed in the latest posts box. I was going to ask about your job situation, but seeing your new post I'm glad things generally worked out. Also seems you're making good progress on your weight loss. Indeed, don't beat yourself up so much over a cheat.

You should post any pics from the recent con.

Starwind55
1st November 2018, 11:30 PM
Oh yeah, about that con. I did not take any photos from that con though in all honestly, you're not missing much. It was a much, much smaller con. The one I went to earlier in the year had thousands of people. This con was held at a smaller hotel and there were like maybe a hundred or so folks at most. There weren't really any cosplayers that caught my eye (No Outlaw Star ones, sadly). The panels were lame with the exception of one dedicated to goofy Japanese commercials. In fact, me and my friend spent most of the con in our hotel room. The only noteworthy night was on Friday where my friend and I got piss drunk and just went to the room parties that they were throwing there. I do remember someone in the dealer's room trying to shill me this comic he worked on that was typical steampunk stuff that had deviantart-tier artwork which I didn't want anything to do with. I don't regret my time there but I have no interest in going back. If it weren't for my friend inviting me, I probably wouldn't have bothered. Since you folks like my pics so much, there was something that I did capture. My friend and I were leaving the city to head home on Friday and on our way out, we've encountered something that I don't ever recall seeing in all my time living in Minnesota...wild turkeys!

I've seen Raccoons and other rodents where I live but I never seen turkeys, especially in Minneapolis of all places. I wanted to get a closer look but I didn't want to scare them off.

I wish I had better stories for ya but it was a rather ho-hum con.

Mantis
2nd November 2018, 11:15 AM
Turkeys are good! I wish I could personally thank them for some great Christmas dinners. Sorry it was overall a crappy time! Better luck next time I guess. I'll suggest taking some retro games. You can get really small systems with loads of ROMs. Throw in a few controllers and you've got some local multiplayer. (Hell, it's been so long since I've done that.)

Messup434
3rd November 2018, 05:06 AM
Those turkeys better run at this time of year;)

I'm really glad to hear that things have picked up a bit, hope the momentum continues in that direction! :)

Starwind55
15th November 2018, 11:40 PM
Well, I feel like shit right about now.

I was walking home from work and I found myself witnessing a auto accident. I saw to cars colliding with each other. I pulled out my phone with the intent of calling 911 but my phone was taking time to turn on (I usually leave my phone off while on the job) and there were folks in a nearby building that came out and saw another guy on the phone who was describing the accident. I assumed he was already getting in touch with 911 and the folks from the building were helping them out of the car. They didn't look hurt. Shaken and crying (And justifiably so)but no injuries as far as I could tell. The entire time I was standing there and thinking, "What should I do? Do I call 911 anyway even though the other guy seems to be on the phone with them? Check to see if they are OK? What if I just get in the way?". My mind was racing and what did I end up doing?

I walked away and headed for home.

You know, maybe I'm beating myself up for it more than I should since they seemed to have gotten help but I can't shake this feeling like I should've done something. Like I could've at least comforted them or...I don't know. Something other than to walk away. I tell ya, everyone likes to think that they'd step up to the occasion when the shit hits the fan and my failure to act makes me wonder if I'm as good as I think I am. I don't know. I can't seem to shake the thought.

Mantis
16th November 2018, 01:30 AM
You say they weren't hurt and were already being helped, so no, you shouldn't beat yourself up about it. At least you'll now better react to a really bad situation.

Hell, I'm not sure if I'd step up to the occasion to be honest. When my family witnessed a seriously messy auto fatality, practically nobody stepped up to that despite all the people watching from afar. Well, the poor unlucky sod was already very dead (decapitated) so I guess there was nothing they could have done.

Anyways, you were simply being human. Like you said, people lose rationality in a situation like yours. Chin up, friend. I doubt many people step up the first time.

Zemekis
16th November 2018, 07:08 PM
Well, I feel like shit right about now.

I was walking home from work and I found myself witnessing a auto accident. I saw to cars colliding with each other. I pulled out my phone with the intent of calling 911 but my phone was taking time to turn on (I usually leave my phone off while on the job) and there were folks in a nearby building that came out and saw another guy on the phone who was describing the accident. I assumed he was already getting in touch with 911 and the folks from the building were helping them out of the car. They didn't look hurt. Shaken and crying (And justifiably so)but no injuries as far as I could tell. The entire time I was standing there and thinking, "What should I do? Do I call 911 anyway even though the other guy seems to be on the phone with them? Check to see if they are OK? What if I just get in the way?". My mind was racing and what did I end up doing?

I walked away and headed for home.

You know, maybe I'm beating myself up for it more than I should since they seemed to have gotten help but I can't shake this feeling like I should've done something. Like I could've at least comforted them or...I don't know. Something other than to walk away. I tell ya, everyone likes to think that they'd step up to the occasion when the shit hits the fan and my failure to act makes me wonder if I'm as good as I think I am. I don't know. I can't seem to shake the thought.

Don't let it get to ya too much, bucko. I had a similar experience 4 weeks ago. I was driving to the airport (so on a strict time limit) and i saw....vertical headlights? It turned out to be one of those cricket-trucks that haul all the cars on the back, but flipped on its side billowing smoke. The dude was climbing up out of the cab as i passed (i almost hit the truck actually, it was a bit into my lane. This is just a country, 1-lane each way kind of road). There is no shoulder on PA backroads, so I couldn't stop as the guy behind me wasn't stopping either. The dude in front of me did a U-turn up ahead and I made it to the airport on time. Someone will help these folks, and if you're that panicked about it, maybe it's best that you distanced yourself and didn't get involved? How's the nephew by the way?

Turkeys are good! I wish I could personally thank them for some great Christmas dinners. Sorry it was overall a crappy time! Better luck next time I guess. I'll suggest taking some retro games. You can get really small systems with loads of ROMs. Throw in a few controllers and you've got some local multiplayer. (Hell, it's been so long since I've done that.)

Turkey is for Thanksgiving, not Christmas my dude.

Starwind55
24th November 2018, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys. What you said made a lot of sense. Though, I recall deciding against playing games that night just because I would've felt like a prick to just enjoy myself as if nothing happen. I dunno, I guess that's just my conscious going out of control a bit there.

How's the nephew by the way

The niece is doing pretty well. My brother brought her up on Thanksgiving. She is almost one year old and is learning to walk. Kind of aggressive too since she throws a lot of stuff animals on the ground. Kind of makes me wonder what kind of person she is going to grow up to be >_>. Her crying gets on my nerves but that's just a hangup I have with babies in general. Beyond that, Thanksgiving went pretty well. Learned that my Father got a new job. This is good since he's been unemployed for awhile. He's working at the local Best Buy. I was kind of concerned with how well he would handle the black friday crowd given his age but he didn't seem to mind it. He's been doing radio sales for many, many years where he had to do meetings, worry about quotas and deadlines and had to deal with some stressful folk. I think he's just happy to do a job where he just works and then goes home and not have to think about it for the rest of the day.

Starwind55
4th March 2019, 01:03 AM
You know what? I haven't updated this blog for awhile so hey, why not do something with it.

As for what's been going on in my life? Well, sleep has been kicking my ass earlier this year...well, actually more like since late December. I've had nights where I could not sleep at all and when I finally went to work, then I would feel tired as hell and then when I'd come back home, I would crash and the cycle begins a new. I had to miss a few days from work because of this. I don't know how this happened. Not sure if it's exhaustion or what but I knew that something had to be done. My supervisor recommended me to give melentonin a try and it's been working wonders. I've been putting myself on a sleep schedule and now I am sleeping a lot better and feel more rested as a result. Now I feel awake during the day and don't feel a need to take a nap when I get home so that gives me some much needed free time.

On the subject of work, I am being trained on a new program which will give me a raise. Now, it's not yet known exactly how much the raise will be but word on the street is it's gonna be a $7.00 raise. Assuming that's true, that means I'll be making about 20 bucks an hour. Maybe not so much in a big city sense but where I live where you're lucky to find a job that pays even $10 an hour? That's gangbusters. I'm crossing my fingers that this is true since my rent got raised on me. That and it'll finally allow me to save up for a new comp that I've been meaning to get as well as getting my first gun.

And in other good news, I got a big trip coming up. I'll be heading down to an anime convention in the last week of this month. The plan is me and my buddies are gonna stop at a shooting range to fire off some gats and then we'll be off to the con where it'll be a weekend of anime, male bonding, and booze. It's always the highlight of my year since it's just a grand ol' time with some friends. I'm gonna try to lay off on the junk food and booze for the next few weeks so that way I'll be in kind of, sort of better shape for when the time comes. I'll be sure to take some interesting pics if I find anything. The pics should be of better quality this time thanks to my new and improved phone...well, I had it for awhile but still, the pics will look totally fucking sweet.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be hyping for the release of Devil May Cry 5 by jamming out to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVGrsiVSpSA

Zemekis
5th March 2019, 02:12 PM
Now I feel awake during the day and don't feel a need to take a nap when I get home so that gives me some much needed free time.

Good for you, that's tough to pull off as a busy adult. I tend to get stuck in that >arrive home >nap >can't sleep -cycle too. Also good work with the raise. What kind of work do you do? Enjoy the new gat, that's a hobby we definitely have in common.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be hyping for the release of Devil May Cry 5 by jamming out to this song.

Have you played thee rest of the series? I've never actually played any DMC games, despite owning the 1,2,3 collection disc for the PS3. I've only ever watched a friend play it back in middle school. I'm not into competing with myself for points/high-score or anything like that, can I still enjoy it for its story or characters? Or is it all action-oriented?

Starwind55
5th March 2019, 10:29 PM
I do call center work. Mainly, it's scheduling people to take exams so they can get license to sell insurance. What I've been trained on is accommodations which is to help people set up for extended time/extra breaks/whatever so if they have a learning disability, they can have an easier time taking it. I haven't gotten the raise just yet. I think the higher ups are still finalizing things with HR but from what I've heard, it's supposed to finally go into effect later this spring.

Nice to hear you're into firearms too. Any cool ones that you've owned? I got to fire quite a few but I was never able to own one either due to money problems or just trouble getting transportation to get to my local county office to fill out a permit to own. With this raise coming up, I should have an easier time getting it. The trouble is deciding which one to get. I've been thinking about getting a SIG P226 since I remember firing that at the range and it felt really good. The only problem is SIGS are expensive as shit. They typically run at about $1,000 and even the cheapest one I found was 900 bucks. So realistically I've been thinking of getting either a Springfield XDM .45 or a CZ-75B (The latter because I'm a filthy weeaboo and it's the closest that I'll ever get to having Rally Vincent's weapon of choice).

Have I played the other DMC games? Why good, sir DMC is my favorite video game series after Doom! I always loved it because they are essentially the classic Capcom beat 'em ups on steroids where you have to be as stylish as possible in defeating enemies. How good the stories are? Well, the series has always placed gameplay over story but it kind of fluctuates. DMC1 had a pretty simple, straightforward story but it does a good job of getting the action going. DMC 2, which is considered the worst, has a pretty forgettable story. DMC 3 is the best written in the series since it does a great job of developing Dante and why he fights for humanity. DMC 4 is pretty good too, though supposedly a lot was cut out of the plot due to a decreased development time. Each game in the series basically has a theme of "love and compassion is what makes humanity great" but it's not done in a really in depth way. Basically, just look at them as fun, action adventure tales with lots of goofy, batshit moments you'll be good.

Oh, and anyone that tells you that the DmC reboot has a superior story is full of shit. It has weak, shallow characters and has plot points that is just a rip off of They Live. People like to make fun of DMC 1's "I should've been the one to fill you're dark soul with LIIIIIIIIGGGHHHTT." scene but none of them are as face palm worthy and try hard as this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1c9WcQtY8s

Zemekis
6th March 2019, 12:35 AM
none of them are as face palm worthy and try hard as this.

I really wish I hadn't seen that, lol. As for the firearm question, sure I don't mind telling you but i'll send it in a PM.

Starwind55
1st April 2019, 02:23 AM
So yes, I was quiet for the past few days. No I wasn't kidnapped by terrorists or anything like that. Rather, I was spending the time at a anime con in Minneapolis. It was a fun weekend with friends so I'd figured I'd tell you guys about it. So sit back and let me tell you of the days of high adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-3fEdzjYC8

So we headed down on Thursday. We wanted to go to a firing range to shoot off some guns but alas, the one we typically go to was closed down temporarily until April so we had to go to another one that was nearby Minneapolis. The other one made my friend hesitant since he had a bad experience with one of the guys there but it was either that or no guns at all so we all agreed to go here. I wanted to go for a cheaper option so I choose the CZ-75b which is this bad boy.

I had an interest in this gun because, since I'm a filthy weeaboo, it was gonna be the closest that I'd get to firing Rally Vincent's (Of Gunsmith Cats)weapon of choice (She used a much older model that is no longer in production). It was a good gun. It's 9mm so it was easy to handle. Afterwards, we had reservations for a local japanese place. We ended up getting lost in the city and didn't get there about 20 minutes after our reservations were supposed to go down. Thankfully, they were accommodating and still allowed us to have our seats. Oh, and a funny thing. One of my friends chose to wear this shirt while we were eating.

https://www.amazon.com/Ahegao-Shirt-harajuku-Shirts-Clothing/dp/B075D3BF58

I just looked at him and thought "Really? Are you serious?". So after supper, we headed back to the room and got drunk while watching youtube videos. We got pretty plastered and got to a point where, while walking our friend to a hotel that he was staying at nearby, we were screaming how America is the greatest country ever. Come to think of it, I had too much to drink that whole weekend. I think I'm gonna try to tone it down next year since I ended up on the mornings feeling like hell so I think it would be wise to to maybe at least not bring super hard liquor (Here's some advice from your Uncle Starwind55. Don't drink four loko and then go to the room parties that also serves hard liquor. You will thank me for that)

So Thursday passed and the con was in full swing. It was a lot of walking around, taking pics of cosplayer and just hanging out with my buddies. Didn't really attend much panels. There was a new guy who joined me with my usual buds that I hang out with. I like him and I'm happy to invite him but there are times where he can be a bit much. He woke me up on Saturday morning while I was trying to sleep being like "Hey buddy, time to get up" Even though it wasn't that late in the morning. During the con, he called me while I was taking a dump wondering where I was even though I wasn't away from him that long and I'd told him that I had to use the john. I played it cool with him but in my mind I was screaming "I'M TAKING A FUCKING SHIT!!! YOU DO NOT CALL SOMEONE WHEN THEY ARE TAKING A DUMP!!!YOU CAN LIVE FOR 5 GODDAMN SECONDS WITHOUT ME!!!!". Again, he isn't a bad guy but damn, he needs to give people space.

Went to the dealer's room and got some cool stuff. They didn't have any cool or rare Outlaw Star stuff but they did have this.

This was fucking cool. I normally don't get figures or models but it's rare that you see any Fist of The North Star stuff at the con so I had to get this. I also got a figure of Valkyria from The Guyver OVA from the mid 80s. Really nice looking figure. Got myself a few DVDs and blu-rays too. I got Blue Seed, a show I remember my older brother watched at one point, The Big O, which is awesome and I can't wait to revisit it as well as Macross Plus. I wanted to get it because I recall the character designer who worked on Outlaw Star did design work for this as well.

The room parties are cool. You can have drinks and mingle with the people there or dance to music. I remember one of them was complimenting me on a Doom themed T-shirt I was wearing and then said "Did you know Doomguy stands for trans rights? That is so awesome!" That's kind of a bizarre thing to bring up. I played along and just said "Uh, yeah! If he's cool with it than so am I!". Personally, I think Doomguy is too busy ripping and tearing demons to give a shit about anything else but whatever. Come to think of it, something similar happened to my friend. He was taking a pic of a Harley Quinn cosplayer and, just out of the blue, asked him if he stood for gay rights. He just walked away from that one.

But yeah, it was a fun time. It's the big thing I look forward too every year and this year didn't disappoint. I had fun with friends, drinking, laughing, eating at restaurants that gave you free socks (!?!?) and just a grand time all together. And yes, I do have some cool pics to share. I apologize for the quality of some of them since my hand wasn't particularly steady. First up was this really badass Warhammer 40K cosplay.

Someone was cosplaying as The Tick so I had to get it.

Speaking of old cartoon characters, I found a really cool Reptar cosplayer

There was Jacket from Hotline Miami

Solid Snake

Spider-Man

And because I don't want J. Jonah Jameson to yell at me here is another pic of Spidey along with his homies.

This...you know, I have no fucking idea who this is or why I took this thing's pic.

A wild slav performing a basic slav function

Motherfucking Godzilla

This glorious bastard

Jotaro and Joseph Joestar (In retrospect, I should've asked Joseph to put his hands on his face and make the "OH MY GOD" expression)

Vash The Stampede

Spawn

The guy from Kung Fury

Goblin Slayer

02 (From Darling in The Franxx)

Ranma

And the grand finale

No Outlaw Star cosplayers sadly, at least none that I noticed. Anywho, I hope you had fun reading about my experiences and looking at the pics. I had a few more but the quality is shit so I didn't think it was worth posting. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna get some much needed rest.

Zemekis
3rd April 2019, 01:29 PM
It was a fun weekend with friends so I'd figured I'd tell you guys about it. So sit back and let me tell you of the days of high adventure.

Sounds like you had a great time, it was fun to check out the pics. Been to a handful of anime cons myself and I've always had a good time.

Mantis
4th April 2019, 11:44 PM
Wow, those are some cool snaps. I always enjoy seeing your con photos. :jimsmile: (And others too.) Still jelly. Maybe there'll be some Outlaw Star next time, but you found some nice cosplays. Now I want to watch Ranma 1/2 again and actually finish it this time, but damn it's a pretty long series.

Oh, and your friend's a complete mad lad for wearing that tee.

Starwind55
20th May 2019, 11:53 PM
Well, last night was... harrowing.

I had a friend who had a real nasty breakup. He felt that he was ruined, his ex took his car and he was really REALLY broken up over it. I tried my best to offer words of encouragement and at one point he said "I don't think I'll make it through the night. Thank you for everything." Now, that's a suicidal sentence if I ever saw one. I tried to ask him if he's serious and I didn't get a reply. I flipped and I dialed 911 hoping that I could get someone to him before he did the deed. I was trying to get in touch with some of my coworkers too just to get some other information since the phone numbers I had of him couldn't connect to him. I spoke to one of my supervisors at work who was able to speak to him and he told me that he seemed to have mellowed out. So this morning, I was chatting with him on messenger and he said that he never intended on committing suicide, just that he felt supershitty and grief just made him say some shit he didn't mean. I described the shit he put me through last night and he told me that he was sorry.

Thank God he was talking shit at the time. I already had my grandmother pass away this year so losing someone else just shortly after would've made me feel a million times shittier. I'm not gonna lie, even after I called 911 I wondered if there was something else I could've done but since that was just his grief talking, that gives me a sigh of relief.

So yeah, the moral of the story is if you want to talk to someone on something horrible that's happened to you, take some time to cool off so you don't say something that will give folks the wrong idea.

Starwind55
23rd January 2020, 02:26 AM
Man, I almost forgot that I had this. I figured I've been quiet on the boards lately so I figure maybe an update on this thread could do us some good.

So last week, I had a flu that kicked my ass. It started Monday of last week. My evening was going fine and then all of a sudden, I had some abdominal pain. After sometime after that, my body temperature began to plummet which worked towards the grand finale of barfing into my toilet. Knocked me out for a good two days. The fever was the worst part because I'd be in bed under the covers frying and when I take the covers off to cool off I was freezing again. I'm normally a lucky son of a gun when it comes to avoiding sickness like this so that was a kick in the ass. So yeah, the flu can get fucked with a red hot iron rod.

The bummer for this was, upon returning to work, I discovered that I only had a few hours of PTO left since I used a good chunk to take time off for the con I'll be going to in April. I talked to my higher ups and they made a deal with me that, if I worked that Saturday to make up one of the days I missed, then I can use whatever PTO I had left for the other day and that they'll give me a few hours added to that day to fully cover me. It was a bummer that I had to work a saturday but I'm not gonna complain since my bosses gave me a lot more leeway than what most of my fellow employees get. For all the shit I deal with at my job, I have some really solid bosses who are willing to help me out in situations like these. Besides, I had this past Monday off for Martin Luther King day so I still got a two day weekend out of the deal anyway.

Aside from that, not a whole lot new to report. I've been playing that new God of War game recently. I was gonna make a thread about it and maybe I will later but for now, I figured I'd just mention it here in brief. I normally would've avoided that game since it looks like an uber linear game with basic bitch mechanics that people look over just because it has an emotional story. However, my brother got me that game for Christmas along with Horizons: Zero Dawn so I figured I should play it and give it a chance. Besides, I need something to tide me over until Doom Eternal comes out (Which, BTW, I've been watching the footage that's been recently released and holy shit, it looks incredible. The wait for March 20th is going to be excruciating.). It's...OK. It's not a bad game by any stretch but I don't think it's the brilliant masterpiece that a lot of people make it out to be. The combat isn't particularly deep, though it feels good enough. There's some light puzzle solving here and there and there's a lot of walking segments that's there just to have characters talk to each other. So far, it's pretty meh. Unless it really picks up later in the game, it's probably going to be my year's Bioshock: Infinite where it's a game I don't regret playing but have zero interest in revisiting.

The big thing I'm looking forward to is going to my buddies house this weekend. Gonna chill at his place for the evening with another friend of mine to drink, watch anime and shoot the shit. Since this week is my pay week, I'm planning on buying us some mead (Still the beverage of choice of manly men and viking warriors) for the occasion. We were gonna get together last weekend but my buddy had some money trouble so we had to bump it to this weekend. It's always a good time to be with the guys for drinks and merriment.

My birthday is coming up too. Feb. 2nd to be precise which means I get my birthday steak! Me and the family are going to be going to Texas Roadhouse to celebrate. Yeah, it's not exactly the most upscale of places and I don't care. They have buns with the cinnamon butter and holy damn, those things are addictive. If I'm not careful, I could go through 5 baskets of those in no time! Plus, the steaks are of solid quality. I typically go for a porterhouse there since you're basically getting two steaks for the price of one. Plus, it'll be good to be with the folks again.

Mantis
28th January 2020, 08:05 PM
Heh, it's nice that anybody updates their journal these days. Sorry to hear about the flu. At least you've been building your immune system in time for doomsday. :jimwink:

That sounds quite reasonable of your bosses. So, are you going to get more con photos for us in April? As always, make sure to if you see an Outlaw Star cosplayer! So God of War isn't half-bad, eh. So long as it stays with Sony (since it's a Sony franchise, fat chance of this changing) I guess I'll never know. I heard a bit about the recent Doom Eternal gameplay but never got round to watching it. How does it improve upon 2016, then?

I usually don't admit this and maybe I need to give the games another go, but I found BioShock a little... boring. :jimawkward: I think it's one of those games that's recognised as some kind of work of art (deeeeeep gaaaame) and if you voice disappointment, you'll get called out for it.

Ah, cool, your birthday's pretty close. Nothing better than a birthday steak. Well, maybe a March 14th steak but we're not all so lucky. Usually I'm not one to take a photo of food or a big fan of people who do it a lot, but you should take a photo of that steak when the time comes. I'm interested, though I have no doubt that it'll beat my delicious rib-eyes.

Starwind55
29th January 2020, 07:28 AM
You know, now that you mention it, I'm kind of glad this flu hit me before this whole crazy Coronavirus thing went down because that would've been a constant thought in my mind while I was recovering, especially after hearing that a case of that was found in Minneapolis which is like 3 hours from where I live (And where the anime convention I attend is at on top of that!) >_>.

You bet your ass that I plan on getting more con photos for you guys! It seems like a luck of the draw when it comes to Outlaw Star cosplayers. One year, there'll be a few and another year, there wouldn't be one in sight. Still, we do get cosplayers of old school characters like Ranma as you saw in my con photos from last year. Either way, I'll for sure keep an eye out for any good OLS cosplayers but you'll for sure get some cool pics either way.

I don't fault you for how you feel about Bioshock. I liked the game but when you get crazy superpowers, it just kind of takes away from the horror vibe that it was going for. Bioshock: Infinite was OK as well but the gameplay was even more shallow which baffles me because it comes from one of the minds that brought us System Shock 2 which is one of my all time favorite games. It gets the same defensive people like the types that worship the ground that The Last of Us walks on where people overlook it's meh gameplay just because "Muh themes! Muh emotional story!". I've always felt that these games had made developers lazy when it comes to gameplay, especially at Sony who now seems to be want to be seen as the hipster, arthouse studio. Remember The Order 1886 where the developers admitted that gameplay was a nuisance when telling their story?

Doom Eternal is gearing up to do what any good sequel should do; it keeps all the stuff that made the first great game and improve and expand on it. It's gearing up to be a much harder game. If you watch some of the footage, you'll see that the demons can deplete your health pretty quick so it's especially important in this game to be constantly mobile. The environments seem to be much bigger and grand. I remember the Quakecon 2019 keynote that the developers did that showed off one of the levels and it's like they took Unreal Tournament multiplayer maps and used that as a basis with designing their singleplayer maps. There's a lot to jump off of, lots of verticality and the like. They even thrown in some new weapons like an ice bomb that freezes enemies. I particularly enjoyed that as it gave me flashbacks to the freeze-ray from Duke Nukem 3d. I'd recommend tracking down some footage on youtube which there's been a lot of recently...just don't watch Dean Takahashi's footage of it. He plays almost as bad as when Polygon tried to play Doom 2016.

You want some pics of my birthday dinner, huh? I normally don't take pics of my food since I don't want to be associated with those annoying folks who constantly feel the need to post pics of their lunch to talk about how yummy it is but for you, I'll make an exception. Just don't get upset if it gets you hungry :aishatongue:

Starwind55
8th April 2020, 05:15 AM
So today was my official day of working from home. With this whole corona bullshit going down, my company ended up having everyone work at home. Personally, I would've preferred to stick with the office but between working at home or going on unemployment, the answer was obvious which route to go. I was thinking that we would be given laptops to work from home with. Nope. They made us take the whole tower PC, monitor and all. This makes this somewhat of a pain because I switch my computer back and forth between my home computer and my work computer and I don't have the space to really have another desk dedicated for my work comp alone. It's not that big of a deal really. It usually takes me 5 minutes to switch between them tops.

I had some technical problems early in the morning, which was fine by me since I didn't have to be on the phones. I did finally take some calls in the afternoon so the next day should go smoother. I did get a company wide email stating not to take credit card payments for scheduling customers despite being told a week or so ago that we could even if we work from home. Moral of the story is, make sure your policies are compliant with the law before you have your workers follow them.

I suppose it's nice to not have to dress up. It's just shower in the morning and then hit the desk. Still, I hope things settle down enough for us to be able to go back to the office. I want to keep my home and place of work separate, especially since at home I feel I get more distracted. It'll take some time getting used to it.

Mantis
8th April 2020, 10:08 AM
Damn, talk about old-fashioned. I take it he hasn't heard of virtual machines or lacks the technical knowledge to set them up, which is actually not very difficult. You can just mirror a physical computer's current state to an image file, and run that from an employee's home computer using free software. It works seamlessly.

It sucks you're having to do it that way. Sounds like a real pain in the ass.

Starwind55
3rd July 2020, 08:42 PM
So guess who just joined the hallowed halls of the PC master race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nezy8RFl9m0

Sorry for the blurry phone photo but yeah, this is it! Well, I did have a PC but it was old and didn't really run games at a awesome rate, so now I got something that should pack a bit more punch performance wise. It's something I've been meaning to do forever and, thanks to that stimulus check from earlier this year, I've finally made the transition! I've decided to stick with the PC for all my gaming needs from here on out. I used to be a playstation loyalist but considering all the benefits of the PC, combined with how censor happy sony has gotten, I figured it was time to hightail it out of the console scene and go PC full time, though I'm tempted to get a PS5 if only for the Demons Souls remaster...then again, they could potentially port that over to the PC eventually. Anywho, you're probably curious what my specs are...so here they are!

intel i7-9700F 3.0GHz
16GB DDR4 Memory
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 6GB
500 GB PCI-E NVME SSD
1TB HDD

The only thing I didn't get was a new monitor but the one I use at the moment is still solid but I'll still look into getting a new one sometime in the future. From what I was told, my old PC was on it's last legs and on the verge of dying so this came in just in time. I haven't had the chance to play anything just yet but it's gearing up to be miles better than my old PC! I just bought Doom 2016 off of steam. I have it for PS4 but now I can play it on a mouse and keyboard, the way God intended it! I'll get Doom Eternal eventually too but I'm gonna wait until it drops in price.

Mantis
4th July 2020, 12:59 AM
Ha... I called it. So what's her name... Doom Slayer? She's a beauty and the GPU certainly kicks my GPU's ass. (https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2060S-Super-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/4049vs3609)

Aside from having half the RAM (no big deal for gaming) your system's better than mine and quite the beast. I don't think you'll have trouble running anything for a long time, so who cares about the PeasantStation 5? ;) You're now a member of the big boys' club.

Looks like we're gonna need a separate get-together for gaming.

Starwind55
4th July 2020, 01:37 AM
I propose we do something this weekend. Streets of Rage, Halo 2, fucking anything. I'm looking forward to giving this thing a test drive. I played Maximum Action, which isn't a very graphics intensive game, but on my old PC, there's a 1-2 second stutter when going into a new room with enemies. That's gone on the new PC. It's feels so much more seamless and smooth. I'm really excited to try it on a more graphics intensive game.

Mantis
4th July 2020, 09:01 AM
Will we still be playing the Halo games on n00b mode or are you now ready to step up your game? ;) Sure, today or (even and if you want) tomorrow shall be fine.

madmanmark08
5th July 2020, 06:32 AM
I see yall are sharing Custom PC specs

Well here you go:

1. GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 Z97 ATX Motherboard Intel i7-4790K (4.40Ghz)
2. Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/RR-212E-20PK-R2
3. Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00
4. SanDisk Ultra II SDSSDHII-480G-G25
ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
5. LG Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner WH16NS40 - OEM
6. Cougar MX300 Black Steel ATX Computer Case
7. Antec VP-450 Power Supply

I recently upgraded my RAM from 16 to 32gb. I am happy.

Plus I had an acquired copy of Win7 and bought Win10 for $105 to upgrade my computer

All works fine. Only games I am playing is StarCraft. I got some other games from steam, but with 2 kids... time is re-prioritized

So guess who just joined the hallowed halls of the PC master race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nezy8RFl9m0

Sorry for the blurry phone photo but yeah, this is it! Well, I did have a PC but it was old and didn't really run games at a awesome rate, so now I got something that should pack a bit more punch performance wise. It's something I've been meaning to do forever and, thanks to that stimulus check from earlier this year, I've finally made the transition! I've decided to stick with the PC for all my gaming needs from here on out. I used to be a playstation loyalist but considering all the benefits of the PC, combined with how censor happy sony has gotten, I figured it was time to hightail it out of the console scene and go PC full time, though I'm tempted to get a PS5 if only for the Demons Souls remaster...then again, they could potentially port that over to the PC eventually. Anywho, you're probably curious what my specs are...so here they are!

intel i7-9700F 3.0GHz
16GB DDR4 Memory
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 Super 6GB
500 GB PCI-E NVME SSD
1TB HDD

The only thing I didn't get was a new monitor but the one I use at the moment is still solid but I'll still look into getting a new one sometime in the future. From what I was told, my old PC was on it's last legs and on the verge of dying so this came in just in time. I haven't had the chance to play anything just yet but it's gearing up to be miles better than my old PC! I just bought Doom 2016 off of steam. I have it for PS4 but now I can play it on a mouse and keyboard, the way God intended it! I'll get Doom Eternal eventually too but I'm gonna wait until it drops in price.