PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of Angel Links?

Mantis
22nd April 2018, 03:39 AM
I've gotta be honest; I only gave it a serious watch once. That was back when I was a university student and I remember being very busy, so I didn't have a lot of time for anime. I'm not sure I actually finished the show as it really started to drag later on. It's more of a shoujo, whereas Outlaw Star is mostly seinen, and I feel it lacked Outlaw Star's depth. Another thing I remember is its reliance on sex appeal. Now I'm not saying Outlaw Star didn't have any of that and I'm sure as hell no prude, but there certainly wasn't a sixteen-year-old girl with ginormous breasts that are almost popping out. If that's not enough, she stuffed her flying cat inside them.

That aforementioned protagonist herself, Meifon Li, also put me off the show because of her personality. She often seemed argumentative and feisty and often complained, which sort of reminds me of Aisha Clanclan. Everybody loves Aisha and her way of winding up the crew in Outlaw Star, but unlike a character like Hilda, a show about her just wouldn't work. Her personality is just a bit too volatile, and that's how I felt about Meifon.

The good news is that I'm giving Angel Links another go, and I also enjoy receiving some insight into how the Space Forces operate. I'm a few episodes in. The above opinions are based on my past (and rather old) experiences, and who knows, maybe they'll change. The thing that sucks is that I really, really want to like Angel Links. It was like Takehiko Ito's pet project as unlike the Outlaw Star anime adaptation he was the mastermind behind it, and if there's one creator I respect the most, it could be him. However, like how people didn't like the ideas behind his proposed Sword of Wind OVA, maybe the anime format is simply something he was never suited to.

Hova
6th May 2018, 07:27 AM
As a spin-off of Outlaw Star I thought they would at least bring back the Outlaws so that was a disappointment. Although I did love the amazing space battles and sword fights.

Zemekis
7th May 2018, 06:14 AM
I've been on the fence about watching it. I'll have to check back here and see what you think about your second watch-through, as i'm quite busy and don't know if I wanna commit.

Also, my first post here after lurking for months!

Mantis
8th May 2018, 12:59 PM
I stalled for a little while but I'm going to resume Angel Links soon. Also, welcome to Outlaw Star Nexus.

Example
6th June 2018, 02:29 PM
I went in with low expectations and was still disappointed. The characters were paper thin (I struggle to think of a single character's name or personality besides Meifon's) and the story completely went off the rails towards the end.

LinkSeasonMaster
25th January 2019, 04:52 PM
I watched it a while ago, and while I loved its opening theme and genuinely appreciated its attempt to connect to Outlaw Star, once I was done, I couldn’t help but be disappointed. There are a lot of problems I ended up having with it, but I’ve seen FAR worse since then (I once screened Garzey’s Wing and Mars of Destruction back-to-back in my college’s Riff Club for crying out loud), so maybe one day I’ll give it another shot. Definitely once I finish my current Outlaw Star project and read a fully translated version of the manga for both OS and FRHS. Might do so with friends with a Riff Club mindset, though.

Mantis
25th January 2019, 05:10 PM
You should join our weekly read of what's done of the Future-Retro Hero Story manga. It'll last a few months and there'll be a thread to discuss every chapter over the following week until the next thread is made. (Though anyone can jump in at any time.) Coincidentally I'm making the first thread today. May as well make that thread now.

At one point I considered starting a translation of the Angel Links manga which is quite short, but I don't think fans like Angel Links enough to warrant doing it. Maybe after Outlaw Star is done.

OutlawFantasy
28th May 2019, 01:28 PM
I didn't really care for this show. Valeria and Duuz were completely different characters from their OLS counterparts. Saurians were changed to Dragonites even though dragonite is supposed to be the rare stones on OLS. Too many continuity errors and the fact that only Fred Lou and Iris and Clyde were there and no mention of the OLS crew made me dislike this show. >:(

Zemekis
28th May 2019, 02:32 PM
I didn't really care for this show. Valeria and Duuz were completely different characters from their OLS counterparts. Saurians were changed to Dragonites even though dragonite is supposed to be the rare stones on OLS. Too many continuity errors and the fact that only Fred Lou and Iris and Clyde were there and no mention of the OLS crew made me dislike this show. >:(

If I remember correctly from the manga, Suzu calls one of her attack moves "Dragonite" as well. Dragonite as a term is way overused in OLS and is hella confusing. I agree with you, there is almost nothing connecting this to OLS to the point that I can barely consider it to be a spin-off. I'd like to get the Angel Links manga translated sometime (if it isn't already by another group) to see if there are more connections there. I think there's a Light Novel as well??

OutlawFantasy
3rd June 2019, 03:18 AM
I heard about the light novel but i never knew there was a manga lol :O

Zemekis
3rd June 2019, 02:20 PM
I heard about the light novel but i never knew there was a manga lol :O

Yeah, I think it was just 1 volume & released slightly before the anime (like several weeks or months). It's not as if the manga came out and the anime was based on it or anything, rather, the manga and LN were released in support of the anime as I understand it.

Ebisuno92
17th July 2020, 12:17 PM
Well, I guess I have to do "coming out;" that is, I have not yet seen Angel Links because I was afraid that it will destroy my affection for Towards Stars Universe.

I saw a DVD set offered by Polish manga store, so I got a grip and ordered it. Will share my thoughts after watching the series.

Mantis
17th July 2020, 12:43 PM
Well, I guess I have to do "coming out;" that is, I have not yet seen Angel Links because I was afraid that it will destroy my affection for Towards Stars Universe.

I saw a DVD set offered by Polish manga store, so I got a grip and ordered it. Will share my thoughts after watching the series.

Is it common for English sets to be stocked, or do you rarely get Polish releases?

Well, you're a better man than I for having that level of determination. I believe in you! :)

Ebisuno92
18th July 2020, 11:12 AM
Is it common for English sets to be stocked, or do you rarely get Polish releases?

Well, you're a better man than I for having that level of determination. I believe in you! :)

In Poland, distributors do not care about Asian movies/anime. The only legit release I saw with my own eyes was Ghost in the Shell SAC 1 & 2 years ago. We do not even have Akira on dvd!

So, if I want to get a physical copy of something, then I have to import English releases. Thankfully, I do not have to rely on foreign Amazon sites, as there are Polish shops which serve as the middle man. I just place an order, wait about a week, and pay in my currency.

Hah, thanks Mantis. I know there's *nyaa* but I ordered legit Angel Links set because I want to support Outlaw Star brand.