PDA

View Full Version : Your Headphones

Mantis
6th July 2019, 11:17 PM
I'm going to assume most of us own a pair. Actually, I own a few, but I don't use most of them frequently for one reason or another. Usually comfort. Over the past few days I've been growing tired (figuratively unfortunately) of having difficulty being able to nod off without sound. Because I really need it.

Tonight I decided to take the plunge. Since I was ordering at gone 8PM and wanted them before bedtime so I could get some good sleep with music I weighed up my options and I finally went with the Skullcandy Crusher that set me back around $106. Not cheap, but that hardly compares to some other cans out there. Previously I've been using some cheap earphones with hooks. You see, due to my recent surgery I found that most large headphones would rub against my large scar which was a deal-breaker. My phone doesn't have a headphone jack (thanks for nothing, Apple and other manufactures that copy them) so I have to use an adapter for that. It's just a bit of a pain.

I never really trusted bluetooth for headphones because I thought the sound quality would be bad, but I believe it's so much better nowadays. The Crusher is wireless.

I think one of the Skullcandy Crusher's main selling points is the very high bass which is adjustable. They weren't joking. It's crazy good. Tickles. I think bass is important for ASMR which is something I do fall asleep to. If it isn't music (usually gentler soundtrack music) it's that. With up to 40 hours battery life I think I'll be using these for much of the day too. One of the biggest reasons I went with this pair is the use of memory foam for comfort. And damn, they are comfy. Like most headphones the cushions around the speakers would rub against my scar so I'm just tucking a beanie I started wearing just underneath those cushions. Works a charm.

I guess that's enough about me and these 'phones. What do you use and what's your budget? Are you more of an audiophile or somebody who doesn't mind a lower audio quality?

Starwind55
6th July 2019, 11:23 PM
My dad got me these for my birthday way back in February.

It provides great volume and crisp sound. The only downside is that the plug seems kind of loose when I plug it into my PS4 controller since sometimes the sound cuts in and out but it doesn't happen very often. It has an option to go to 7.1 surround sound if I wanted to but I found it a bit too loud for me. It's just fine on the normal setting.

Mantis
6th July 2019, 11:32 PM
I've heard about these 7.1 headphones. Interesting idea. Shame the surround feature doesn't work very well after all. It'd be great for Blu-rays, and many games for that matter.

Zemekis
8th July 2019, 07:23 PM
I used to use Gamescom ones like these:

but they squoze my head so hard that they gave me the only nosebleed I've had in my life and I was too scared to wear them again.

I know that Skullcandy overall is shit-tire, but they have a really specific line of earbuds that have the best sound ever. noise-cancelling too. A friend and my wife both swapped out their Bose headphones for the peaseant-tier Skullcandy earbuds I discovered. I keep like 5 pairs as backup for each time i send one through the wash or something.

Mantis
8th July 2019, 07:56 PM
I have that GameCom headset. (Or very similar.) They are cheap, and yes, very tight-fitting. As a budget item, serves the purpose although they haven't been used in some time. The pair looks the same as that picture, but wireless. The battery life is really poor.

I don't know about Skullcandy as a whole, but for the price I paid I think it was a great purchase. I've tried Bose headphones before. I think many of these are very good, but sometimes overpriced in my opinion. Sennheiser is overrated, no doubt about that. A lot of people put more thought into the brand than anything else when they buy such expensive headphones. It reminds me of people who buy overpriced branded HDMI cables and strongly believe there is a difference when there often is not.

In the past I've tried headphones in stores, but I think there's a happy medium between value for money and claimed outstanding quality. To most people on this topic I'd just say if they sound great to you, then go for it.

On the subject of quality, I think a lot of audiophiles are smug tossers who take it too far. Often in the same crowd as vinyl snobs.

BaronOfStuff
8th July 2019, 08:18 PM
https://i.imgur.com/S88IfJS.png

Zemekis
8th July 2019, 08:19 PM
I have that GameCom headset. (Or very similar.) They are cheap, and yes, very tight-fitting. As a budget item, serves the purpose although they haven't been used in some time. The pair looks the same as that picture, but wireless. The battery life is really poor.

When did you get yous? Mine were like 10 years ago and they weren't cheap. They were in fact very very good but just so goddamn tight i couldn't use them after a while.

I don't know about Skullcandy as a whole, but for the price I paid I think it was a great purchase. I've tried Bose headphones before. I think many of these are very good, but sometimes overpriced in my opinion. Sennheiser is overrated, no doubt about that. A lot of people put more thought into the brand than anything else when they buy such expensive headphones. It reminds me of people who buy overpriced branded HDMI cables and strongly believe there is a difference when there often is not.

I didn't even realize that the ones you posted were Skullcandy! Now that I look back at my post it looks as if I were trying to shit on your headphone brand but I didn't actually look closely at your picture. I get dogpiled by audiophiles quite often over using Skullcandy, so i know they have a bad reputation and all other Skullcandy headphones I've purchased except for the earbuds have been rather poor, but I don't doubt that you found a decent pair yourself. Never used wireless headphones so I can't speak to that aspect.

KorinKitty
3rd September 2019, 12:46 AM
I don't own anything fancy. Just some Chinese brand headset I got off eBay for $30. I can't remember the brand but the logo is a wolf and it starts with an "S". They are basic but have a decent mic and I put cat ears on them cause why not? lol

Mantis
3rd September 2019, 10:12 AM
I don't know what kind of alchemy or Tao magic was performed, but my Skullcandy headphones' battery life is fucking legendary. I'd say I've fallen asleep to either some ASMR (probably an hour on average) or an album most nights. Obviously I hadn't turned them off after falling asleep and have to do it in the morning. And I've only had to charge them maybe twice. For years I was thinking that wireless headphones are a stupid idea. (Mostly because I believed I'd only be happy with wired audio quality.) Guess I was the stupid one.

I don't own anything fancy. Just some Chinese brand headset I got off eBay for $30. I can't remember the brand but the logo is a wolf and it starts with an "S". They are basic but have a decent mic and I put cat ears on them cause why not? lol

Kind of a DIY version of these headphones?

Or these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J4MHXZ1) as an IRL version.

When did you get yous? Mine were like 10 years ago and they weren't cheap. They were in fact very very good but just so goddamn tight i couldn't use them after a while.

Probably Amazon. It would have been a long time ago, at least five years.

I get dogpiled by audiophiles quite often over using Skullcandy, so i know they have a bad reputation and all other Skullcandy headphones I've purchased except for the earbuds have been rather poor, but I don't doubt that you found a decent pair yourself. Never used wireless headphones so I can't speak to that aspect.

Maybe the audiophiles aren't entirely in the wrong there! I wouldn't know. I'd never tried Skullcandy beforehand. I was thinking many some of the bad rep comes from how the name sounds like they're for teenyboppers. =/ Oh well.

BaronOfStuff
7th September 2019, 12:37 AM
Good enough to listen to this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqyoTvZ5cOE).

Kirby81
15th September 2019, 11:38 PM
I just purchased a set of airpods. As goofy as they look I canít deny how helpful they have been when using them at work and at home. I also own a pair of Sony MDR7506.

Zemekis
19th September 2019, 12:56 PM
A girl at my office uses airpods, but I never know if she's talking to me or someone on the phone so it's become a bit of a nuisance. You should have to wear a hat that says "USING AIRPODS".

Kokirininja
10th February 2020, 05:10 AM
My most recent headphones are a set of corsair void pros. While I enjoy them for my PC use they aren't very practical for my console gaming due to the shortened cord and mute button not being recognized. Will be looking to a new set in the future.

Zemekis
11th February 2020, 03:03 PM
Since my last post I have gotten a pair of Raycon E25's

RTSender
3rd May 2020, 01:41 PM
About seven years ago I got a variant of the Sennheiser HD 280 headset. It's not the exact model, and I can't for the life of me find an image to share, but this headset is a tank. The sound on these things is really authentic with just enough bass to jam to my tunes, and it's comfortable enough to wear for six-plus hours at a time. It's tough to wear out of the house since the headset is pretty hefty and the wire is super long, but for a PC headset or even for music mixing, Sennheiser is the way to go for me.