PDA

View Full Version : Manga Tips?

Frontiersman
5th September 2019, 11:59 PM
Hey there! Long time fan of the anime here and I'm wanting to collect the manga sets(among other things like art books and such) so I was wondering if there are any tips to where to start looking and what to be on the lookout for?"

Also, I did see Mantis post about the English translation, so I was wondering about the progress on that as well. Thanks!

Mantis
6th September 2019, 02:03 PM
Well, I'd say the manga is one of the few Outlaw Star merchandise that you'll actually find great deals for on eBay. You might find it easier to search the respective country sites.

For instance, the original Japanese manga set should be easy enough to find on eBay if you use the worldwide option, maybe adding "Japan" to your search. The three European manga versions are German, Italian and Spanish. They can often be quickly found on their own eBay sites.

By that I mean the eBay domain. You of course use .com, and they use: .de, .it and .es

Browsing the German eBay I instantly found this (translated the page):

As you can see, they ship worldwide. Scroll down and you'll see an item number:

Copy that number and search for it on your own eBay site.

Hey presto. As for the Chinese manga. If you find it, let me know. It's been a nightmare to find one! I was lucky to get the set, and even luckier to get a spare volume one on my own.

We've been working on the English manga for some time now. While we've posted a lot of updates in a private group I'll start releasing it publicly in different threads for each chapter. This will be in the Cyberspace forum. Since SFX can be very time-consuming it won't be super-quick. I'm doing what I can. The first thread will have around 60 pages. Here's a few previews.

Kirby81
6th September 2019, 04:05 PM
We've been working on the English manga for some time now. While we've posted a lot of updates in a private group I'll start releasing it publicly in different threads for each chapter. This will be in the Cyberspace forum. Since SFX can be very time-consuming it won't be super-quick. I'm doing what I can. The first thread will have around 60 pages. Here's a few previews.

This sounds exciting!

Zemekis
6th September 2019, 06:18 PM
Also, I did see Mantis post about the English translation, so I was wondering about the progress on that as well. Thanks!

To answer the question a little more concisely, we have completed translations and drafts for 2.5 of the 3 and a half volumes that exist. Those stay behind closed doors for the moment, although a private group does have access. Being that they are drafts, Mantis is unhappy with the quality of the scans & a few of the translated lines so he is currently in the process of Remastering the manga translation drafts from the beginning into a final version which will be released publicly in chunks as it is completed.

Frontiersman
6th September 2019, 07:04 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely check those out! Also, appreciate the update on the translation, I'll definitely be waiting for any bits of that I can get!

Kirby81
6th September 2019, 07:08 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely check those out! Also, appreciate the update on the translation, I'll definitely be waiting for any bits of that I can get!

I second that.

I found Volume 1 translated online but only a chapter or two from Volume 2. I want to read them now, but I also want to hold out in the hopes to read them all at once. 2.5 done out of 3.5 total, thatís exciting to hear.

Frontiersman
7th September 2019, 01:49 PM
I've got a doujinshi on the way and couple magazines, but I definitely wanted to pick the manager up as well

Zemekis
7th September 2019, 09:41 PM
Oh cool, which ones?

Frontiersman
7th September 2019, 11:09 PM

This one!

Mantis
8th September 2019, 10:24 AM
You've got plenty to look forward to then. It's at second place in my list of "most important doujinshi/art books to translate", so it's certainly got a lot of cool artwork and juicy info inside. (Of course, the latter is Japanese. Not to worry, we'll be onto that.)

Zemekis
8th September 2019, 07:36 PM
I can put that one next on my list after I finish the translation for the SW doujin.

Zemekis
14th September 2019, 03:23 AM
You know what, before I promise that, I believe Mantis and I did have a priority list that we should probably re-discuss before commitments are made...but either way this WILL get done and I am aware of it.

Frontiersman
14th October 2019, 04:05 PM
These are what I have so far, I plan on getting the manga volumes as well as soon as I have expendable income lol

Mantis
15th October 2019, 02:06 AM
Awesome. Dragon Magazine's a good one, probably the most popular art book too from my observations. Like I said, pricing on eBay really is hit-or-miss with "miss" being more often. So feel free to enquire if finances are an issue. It's very easy to end up overspending when it comes to eBay, mostly because many Japanese sellers are very greedy. They often quite literally price merch at up to 1000%. It's a mistake I made until I found out how much cheaper I can get Outlaw Star merch through alternative means.

shades7000
10th December 2019, 03:07 AM
Out of curiosity, would your guys' priorities in translating go:
Outlaw Star, then the doujins, and then FRHS or is it a different order?

Mantis
10th December 2019, 04:35 PM
At first I was doing all of this solo. As I was starting work on the last pages of the first volume I was joined by a few others who took over the translation side of it. Since then my duties are usually editing translations and typesetting.

That was around (if I recall correctly) halfway through last year. At that time, to be honest FRHS wasn't even on my radar. As far as I knew it was an abandoned manga and I'd last checked for a scanlations a few years before. It was quite a surprise to find You're Welcome's scanlations.

I think it was when I discovered that some FRHS characters are featured in the Outlaw Star manga's unpublished extra chapters that I realised that FRHS may have more relevance beyond spell guns, a shared universe and a few cameo appearances in the anime. Not to mention, I found that FRHS is a great read.

In terms of priorities, the Outlaw Star manga indeed comes first. That's especially true now that we're quite close to finishing the draft. We're a few chapters into the last volume. After that comes the extra chapters which I probably have to learn to scan better for. Currently we're using raws from 2002. I'm getting them looking pretty nice for a final release by utilising Gigapixel. I now intend to finish the draft before working on the public release.

You're also right about the doujinshi. They're pretty important. For example, sometimes they contain interviews with Takehiko Ito which is great for Outlaw Star lore. Fortunately for me, most of the time the editing and typesetting is a lot easier as most pages are largely text. While this may sound like a problem, it's usually quite formal/literal, which will allow me to outsource some of the doujinshi, hiring less proficient translators from Fiverr while more important works like the light novel and FRHS are handled by our fluent translators.

Zemekis would probably be best at coordinating more FRHS translations. He knows our translators personally. I'm glad you're still interested in working on FRHS. I can still edit and typeset if you want to handle cleaning.

KorinKitty
11th December 2019, 07:49 PM
I have yet to see it for sale in the US. I have tried helping someone else find it. Like Mantis mentioned, check other regions.

I am not much help here lol I don't buy manga though. I want to get into it for a few different series but I have yet to actually start. I kind of want to wait until I am a homeowner so I can have a place to keep it on display while keeping it free from damage. Where I rent now, well.. It is fairly wet and there is a bit of a mold problem. Not a good idea to collect things that are paper related right now. lol

shades7000
25th December 2019, 04:04 AM
Mantis, if you wanna handle typesetting and editing, then I'm totally for that. I can do the cleaning no problem.

KorinKitty, definitely handle your home business before getting those copies lol

Zemekis
29th December 2019, 02:31 AM
Mantis, if you wanna handle typesetting and editing, then I'm totally for that. I can do the cleaning no problem.

KorinKitty, definitely handle your home business before getting those copies lol

I'm still here, I just heard that you guys are coordinating directly at the moment so I'm letting you guys discuss the specifics via DMs. I'll likely be the one coordinating between whoever provides the raws and the translator(s). Then perhaps editing the resulting translation before passing it along to Mantis for typesetting. he may handle the editing as well, depending on our respective workloads at the time.

Mantis
30th December 2019, 04:01 PM
I'm already providing the raws in advance. I stumbled upon all of them on some Japanese P2P network. They're not the best raws, but they're not too bad either and it beats scanning several volumes. The raws are from 2004. So, scanned two years later than the mediocre raws we're working with for Outlaw Star. They're double-paged scans, so clearly the uploader didn't want to butcher his books.

Cropped from one of the pages: