PDA

View Full Version : Going to any Concerts/festivals?

jaywray
31st January 2011, 03:50 PM
Hey guys thought the forum could use a bit more discussion so yanno! xD

personally I've got a pretty sweet year ahead of me for music, gona go see Iron Maiden in August and one of the best festivals on the planet, Download, which should be awesome :D

Anyone else? ^_^

BaronOfStuff
31st January 2011, 03:52 PM
Oshi-...

I might be going to see Iron Maiden later this year, waiting for someone to confirm tickets.

jaywray
31st January 2011, 04:16 PM
apparently they sold out through-out the uk D:

BaronOfStuff
31st January 2011, 04:22 PM
That's what was said when I went to see Oasis.

And Kasabian.

And Foo Fighters...

Still got tout-free tickets though!

(Saying that, I missed out on Red Hot Chili Peppers, so it's not that I have some mystical power that allows me tickets all the time.)

AsherTheWilliams
31st January 2011, 06:10 PM
Going to an anime convention in Houston, should have some kinda J-pop/J-rock performer.
Whoever it's going to be, it's definitely going to be an experience.

Saw Miyavi last time, he was a sight...
XD

Katey
1st February 2011, 12:08 PM
I wanna go to an anime convention in USA! Uk sucks for that kind of thing... it's just too cheesy when it's British for some reason :P

BaronOfStuff
1st February 2011, 12:16 PM
Friend of mine went to one in Canada, and said "you'll never find such a vast assortment of freaks, misfits and attention-seekers than at an anime convention".

S'all the ****ing horrible cosplayers, see?

Katey
1st February 2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah but that's what would make it so incredibly entertaining hahaha. I'd be laughing all day I'm sure.

Tbh though I like thoose conventions where you get a lot of artists and can buy some of their merchandise. I'd love to get hold of a mug/poster/sketch or two from some of my favourite artists instead of having to get it shipped.

jaywray
1st February 2011, 02:03 PM
Aw goodness, if there's something about Anime i hate, its the cos-players ):

BaronOfStuff
1st February 2011, 02:44 PM
It's not so much the cosplayers, but the **** ones. They also tend to be the creepiest sort of people too, ****ing oddballs.

I'm not exactly 'normal' myself, but holy ****. At least I can blend in.

jaywray
1st February 2011, 02:48 PM
Im really not normal lol! atleast not around here, but ive tons of friends and stuff so i guess im doing somthin right, is it weird i hate cos-players, but think some anime tattoos are really cool?

Mantis
1st February 2011, 05:06 PM
It's only furries I don't particularly like. Most cosplayers are fine by me.

BaronOfStuff
1st February 2011, 05:09 PM
Don't get me started on furries, unless you want 50 Hitlers.

AsherTheWilliams
1st February 2011, 05:22 PM
Have a history with the furries Baron?

Anyway, anime conventions are indeed a hive for freaks.
Nothing terribly wrong with that though.
...except, there was this one cosplayer.

He dressed up as the original red ranger from Power Rangers.
A fine idea to be sure, but there were two problems with this guy.
ONE: his suit was paper thin.
TWO: he was without undergarments.
o_O

Katey
1st February 2011, 06:25 PM
OH dear haha. I think it was you Asher.

AsherTheWilliams
1st February 2011, 07:31 PM
You can't prove that. :P

Mantis
1st February 2011, 08:17 PM
Can't blame you for not taking a picture that you could put in the cosplay thread. Can we say..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-5i0g7whzY

BaronOfStuff
1st February 2011, 09:43 PM
Have a history with the furries Baron?

I knew someone* who went from slightly socially awkward, to somewhat depraved, to furry... and then just wouldn't shut the **** up about it.

Also, just look at the furries in any community that's not furry-centric; loud, obnixious bastards that proclaim their sick little fetish at every opportunity (Skulltag has had some of the worst I have ever seen), and go around ***ging up threads with insipid comments and pictures of anthros and all that other godawful ****.

Regarding ST, they're also responsible for some of the most retarded mods too. Oh, and they're furry mods. As if I needed to mention that bit.

(*The same person once cancelled a night out because... wait for it... he was playing World Of Warcraft.)

Anyway, you asked for it

Edit by Mantis: You've already been warned. Edit this post again and it will be a ban. Rules are rules.

AsherTheWilliams
2nd February 2011, 12:38 AM
Yeah, those socially repressed recluses can be quite the buzz kill.

Flare
2nd February 2011, 08:14 PM
To be honest, I'm somewhat of a furry myself, though I'd never dress up as one o.o; These people give furries a bad name. My interest is simply art, not the whole "Ooh, I'm a ***** little dog.." *shivers* So don't get me started there...
Some cosplays are fun. Fun being "For a laugh", not "I am totally this character - Hyah! Karate Chop!" ...those people scare me...

This year, I'll be going back to Woodstock in Poland. One of the best experiences of my life. I actually met a guy dressed up as Captain America who spoke Welsh to me! That was a big shock XD You go to Poland and have conversations in Welsh. Fantastic. Last year at Woodstock I saw Papa Roach and a few others. Can't wait to see who are playing this year.
I believe I will go dressed as Miku Hatsune - the number 1 Vocaloid!

Mantis
2nd February 2011, 09:44 PM
It's the furries who preach and shove their interests in your face that irk me a little. Just as an analogy I'll compare it to religion. I am not an atheist and I don't have any particular beliefs/disbeliefs, nor do I look into it. Those who preach, whether it's pro-religion or anti-religion, annoy me. However, those who just live their lives without defining themselves through religion and will happily talk to anyone regardless of beliefs I'm fine with.

It's not actually that strange of an analogy. Because sadly, some furries do behave as if it is a religion. Welsh... a language I'll never, ever be able to or want to make sense of. It hurts my eyes to read it, heh. Never mind speaking it...

Flare
2nd February 2011, 09:51 PM
Heh, well, Welsh is my first language, English is my second. So it was nice to hear it in another country ^^

As for the furries; surprisingly, most furries do annoy me to no end due to the preachy, holier-than-thou attitude.
I like what I like and that's that. If you like the same thing, great. If not, I'm sure there are other things we can chat about - that's how I look at things =3

Mantis
2nd February 2011, 10:34 PM
One thing I don't get though is how most people who are furries or like furry things use this smiley. :3 Or its cousins: ;3 =3 etc. I don't have a problem with it, but I just don't get it. What is it? Because all I can think of really is...

http://proktorsbrainfart.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/020zoidberg20scared20why.gif

Flare
2nd February 2011, 10:48 PM
Hahaha! Zoidberg.. XD

Well, I use this smiley '=3' simply because I've always used it. Tilt your head to the side and you see a somewhat kitten-ish face (at least the smile most cats have, I suppose).

Either that or I can draw you a cat.

^_^
(='.'=)
( '')( '')

well.. something like that

jaywray
3rd February 2011, 12:24 AM
:3 <-- its a kitty! xD
^ it also looks like abit of a.. i dono, dirty face? ;3 when you do it like that

Dr. Killjoy
3rd February 2011, 04:11 AM
I thought Flare was just saying everything to the left of the smiley equalled 3.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Terrible math joke.

Flare
3rd February 2011, 09:30 AM
Hahaha. I suppose you could look at it like that. However, if it truly was = 3, I suppose I'd be doing mathematical equations... It might make me look more intelligent.. hmm..

it's not possible..

Mantis
3rd February 2011, 09:59 AM
It really doesn't look like a cat to me. :P Explained...

http://i54.tinypic.com/5k3lmt.png

Yeah, this is getting a little off-topic I guess. XD

AsherTheWilliams
4th February 2011, 06:30 AM
Whose to say that there is a definitive kitten image.
Let's be flexible with our feline fabrications!

What kind of furries are y'all talkin' to!?
I have yet to meet a 'holier than thou' furry.
Most the ones I've seen debate on why pics of Gardevoir are so prevalent.
The discussion was about as heated damp sponge.

Flare
4th February 2011, 11:48 AM
Maybe we should make a "Holier than though - Furries" topic so we can keep this thread about music and festivals :D Or just add it to my little blog!

Though I have to agree with you, Asher... I've been in many 'heated' discussions with these people. Mostly about "Did you get hit in the head at somepoint?".

Dr. Killjoy
4th February 2011, 02:34 PM
Bringing things back on topic, I haven't been to any concerts and I don't think I will, even though I like music. I'm a tad agoraphobic (as in, I can function in large, crowded places but I tend to avoid them if I can help it).

Mantis
4th February 2011, 07:27 PM
It would appear going to a concert means jumping about like you're on a pogo stick or head-banging until you cause yourself some brain damage. If I can find a concert where I can sit down and, you know, appreciate the music... then I would go. I'll also say I've never been to a concert. I wouldn't like being packed in like a sardine, but I suppose if I could find a seated area where there's actually room for me to move my legs a few inches, I'd consider it.

BaronOfStuff
5th February 2011, 06:57 PM
I suppose if I could find a seated area where there's actually room for me to move my legs a few inches, I'd consider it.

Good luck with that. Seated areas are usually the first to sell out, and even when you do get tickets, any legroom you get depends entirely on the venue; in some cases, there's actually more space in the standing area.

Cuhathol
16th February 2011, 12:42 PM
I am going to be heading to Oxegen in July, for anyone who may be unfamiliar with what Oxegen is. It is basically the Irish version of Glastonbury.

From the main line up I know I will at least get to see the Foo Fighters, Blink 182 and Artic Monkeys. So hopefully there are some other good acts there too.

Somasol
18th February 2011, 11:25 PM
I've only been to a few, but my overall favorite had to be Juno Reactor live, 26/09/08, playing in Chicago, Illinois. Felt like a once-in-a-lifetime moment for me.

Unfortunately, I often get a case of Tinnitus in my right ear, so I gotta be picky with what shows I go to. Don't want to lose my hearing for nothing. Either that or bring earplugs. :P

Sparkysaurus
6th April 2011, 03:17 AM
Unfortunately, I only attended the tail end of the Neverender tour and only went to the last album. I did attend the Year of The Black Rainbow tour after that which was AMAZING! And now, I am going to the 10th Anniversary of Coheed and Cambria's first album Tour!

http://metalodyssey.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/coheed-and-cambria-neverender-sstb-promo-tour-poster1.jpg

If you happen to be in Chicago and going to it, I will see you there!

[ruin]RTSender
20th May 2012, 11:21 AM
I went to see RUSH during their Time Machine Tour last year in April. Probably the best birthday present ever.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Rushtimemachinetour2010.jpg/250px-Rushtimemachinetour2010.jpg

darkbetter
20th May 2012, 12:04 PM
I went to two concerts so far :D At Linkin Park and Bon Jovi ! Tickets was so expensive at Linkin Park, 4 months spend no money to gather it just to go at concert ! Yeah LP is my favorite band ........

Captain Starwind
20th May 2012, 02:46 PM
RTSender]
I went to see RUSH during their Time Machine Tour last year in April. Probably the best birthday present ever.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9a/Rushtimemachinetour2010.jpg/250px-Rushtimemachinetour2010.jpg

really? weird. i went to see them last april, too.

[ruin]RTSender
20th May 2012, 06:06 PM
Cool. I went to their Cleveland show, which the one that got onto the DVD. Which one did you go to?

Captain Starwind
20th May 2012, 11:40 PM
the april 8 show at the giant center in hershey, pa. i got balcony seating about 100 ft to the left of rush. in fact, i think you can see me if you look up the concert on youtube.

sucks that i lost the tickets i had for it; i really wanted to keep those.

[ruin]RTSender
27th May 2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah, that sucks.

But hey vegeta...I'm going to Roger Waters's The Wall On July 3rd in Pittsburgh...

Captain Starwind
27th May 2012, 05:05 PM
RTSender]
Yeah, that sucks.

But hey vegeta...I'm going to Roger Waters's The Wall On July 3rd in Pittsburgh...

nice. completely forgot about the wall. if i would have remembered, i would have bought tickets for philly. but alas, now my schedule is full....

[ruin]RTSender
28th May 2012, 03:11 PM
Aww, that really sucks. Outside commitments are the worst...

sabb87
8th July 2015, 09:21 PM
I know I'm a few years late joining this topic, but I'm heading out to OCF this weekend. It's going to be a blast. Anybody else going?

Working Buck
29th April 2017, 08:54 AM
Pulp Summer Slam is scheduled today in my place, I really wanna go but I'm stuck with a ton of job. It's too bad since they have Megadeth and Dragon Force on the line up together with Razorback, Kjwan, Slapshock, Greyhoundz and Wilabaliw. The ticket price is just $16 which is really cheap compared to Coldplay's concert last time which was around $450.

Gamesha
25th May 2017, 04:17 PM
Ha, I'd love to go to some of these conventions and check out the cosplayers. I'd like to go to Renaissance Faire sometime too. I'm sure some of them get pretty whack as well.

I recently went to a Blues festival. I really miss going to Blues Fest in Chicago, but we did have a good time at this one too. It was such a great way to relax and take a little break. I can't wait for more outdoor fairs and fests. Love this kind of stuff.

pseudohippie
25th May 2017, 06:53 PM
I've been to a lot of concerts, but there aren't too many that are coming up that I'm interested in. (I could see Chicage/Doobie Brothers again, which would mark my 5th time seeing Chicago in concert lol), but I am going to see Jerry Seinfeld on my birthday (June 2nd). SUPER excited for that.

Starwind55
26th May 2017, 05:47 AM
The only concerts I've been to was Weird Al (Who puts on a great show. If you have a chance to see him live, do it!) and The Birthday Massacre. I've been meaning to do more concerts but most of the good bands go to Minneapolis and not where I live so I don't get much of an oppourtunity. I had a friend who invited me to see Alice Cooper but since that's on a work night for me, I will sadly be unable to go. I think there is a metal festival in Wisconsin that I think that might be fun to attend.