PDA

View Full Version : George A. Romero's "Living Dead" series

BaronOfStuff
25th March 2011, 10:56 PM
They need no introduction, do they? Anyone else a fan of his work in the zombie-apocalypse genre?

As obvious as it is now, Romero is pretty much entirely reponsible for the modern concept of the 'zombie'; flesh-eating corpses, risen from the grave (or more likely morgue slab... or even more likely wherever they dropped dead in the first place) for seemingly no reason at all.

Before that, zombies were generally just slow witted pseudo monsters that were mere servants, and seemingly had more in common with Frankenstein's monster than nightmarish cadavers, although a few films did portray them to be just as murderous as the modern incarnation; in particular Plague Of The Zombies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udPstKu5XcM).

Anyway, that's besides the point. What, if anything, do you think of this series of films? And how do you rate the remakes?

Dr. Killjoy
27th March 2011, 03:25 AM
I have Land of the Dead on DVD. It was actually an impulse buy and I knew little about the series at the time, but I enjoyed it. Come to think of it, it's been awhile since I last watched it.

Okay, yeah, that wasn't much to go by. I'm not very familiar with the series =(

BaronOfStuff
28th March 2011, 04:23 PM
The original 'Night Of The Living Dead' is in the public domain (and one of few films there that are actually worth watching). Give it a look when you get the time, even if just to laugh at the zombies compared to what we got only one film later.

I've only got the first three films (Night, Dawn, Day) and the 1990 remake of NOTLD, but I have seen the recent ones. I wasn't particularly fond of LOTD (it pales in comparison to the earlier works), although I can't say watching it is a bad way to spend some time.

I can send the ones I have around if need be; I've backed them up online because:
A) The original VHS tapes are incredibly worn down
B) For some inexplicable reason, I lose any copied DVD's I make of them all the time.