PDA

View Full Version : Future-Retro Hero Story

Mantis
28th April 2011, 04:35 PM
Though strictly speaking not Outlaw Star, it is set in the Toward Stars universe and is essentially its predecessor. You can read some of it as a fan translation here (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/future_retro_hero_story/). I haven't read much yet, but I'll be sure to discuss it in this thread when I've read through it all.

AsherTheWilliams
28th April 2011, 05:52 PM
Looks sweet.
There's a good OS sentimentality feel in the art.

Dymus
28th April 2011, 11:39 PM
I believe you mean 'Future Hero Next Generation' :P

...That does look interesting :D

Update: Had a look through issue 1. At first, I'm thinking; "GENE!... Aww".
Having a quick scan, it looks a lot like the Anime (OLS).

Especially the females. :P

Mantis
29th April 2011, 12:30 AM
I believe you mean 'Future Hero Next Generation' :P

I'm guessing that was meant to be sarcasm. It's sometimes hard to tell on a forum, one might say. Hmm, indeed, that may have been directly derived from Future-Retro Hero Story. It's interesting because Outlaw Star's quite a bit newer—FRHS is from '88! Older than I'd have thought, just like Takehiko I bet.

RomanticSorie
11th August 2011, 06:23 PM
I never knew about this. :/
can someone say if that is good enough to be even seen?

Mantis
11th August 2011, 06:33 PM
With the exception of the drama CD which makes no sense to me, I know very little about FRHS, but maybe I'll come across a decent scanlation sometime.

RomanticSorie
11th August 2011, 06:35 PM
I saw there was an anime of it, but I was very "doubty" about it :/
I love Outlaw star series to much, to something that might kill the universe a bit :(

Mantis
11th August 2011, 06:48 PM
Nope, no anime. Just manga. If my memory's working properly, it's pretty much what made Takehiko Ito successful, or at least, it led to his success. Maybe you're thinking of Angel Links, which is a spin-off (and not a very good one) of Outlaw Star. FRHS is set in the same universe, but otherwise to my knowledge doesn't have a thing in common with Outlaw Star and is ten years older.

AsherTheWilliams
11th August 2011, 07:54 PM
I got a hold of the FRHS art book off eBay.
The wizards of Tenrei do make an appearance.
But other than that the similarities appear purely speculative.

lloydSSJ4
17th October 2011, 09:11 AM
The fact that so many of these Outlaw Star related works have never been officially translated is really frustrating. I'd snap this up in a minute if it were available. Along with the Outlaw Star manga itself.

LinkSeasonMaster
9th November 2011, 03:13 AM
The fact that so many of these Outlaw Star related works have never been officially translated is really frustrating. I'd snap this up in a minute if it were available. Along with the Outlaw Star manga itself.

Same. I wouldn't care if it cost me my arm, my leg, or my eye. Family, however, is out of the question.

Zemekis
2nd July 2018, 08:51 AM
Likewise, I'd like to read the series at some point. I'm gonna focus on the OLS manga at the moment, but I'd like to see FRHS completed in the future since its in the same universe as OLS. Rather, OLS is in the same universe as FRHS I suppose.

Mantis
2nd July 2018, 01:32 PM

This really rare FRHS CD wallet I discovered in a Japanese auction was one of my coolest wins.

Zemekis
2nd July 2018, 11:24 PM
This really rare FRHS CD wallet I discovered in a Japanese auction was one of my coolest wins.

What's on it? Music?

Mantis
3rd July 2018, 01:41 AM
Nothing. It's a wallet, so you put CDs inside it.

Zemekis
3rd July 2018, 07:24 AM
wallet
Ah. I missed that keyword. Hahaha. Cool find!

Example
13th August 2018, 06:29 PM
I'm really tempted to buy the whole series on ebay and either translate it myself or post it online for someone else to. Do you guys think I should?

Starwind55
14th August 2018, 12:49 AM

Oh shit, is that rule 63 Jim Hawking on the right?

Mantis
14th August 2018, 02:56 AM
I'm really tempted to buy the whole series on ebay and either translate it myself or post it online for someone else to. Do you guys think I should?

Should you buy them? It's not a bad idea. Should you translate them? That's up to you, but it's quite an undertaking so brace yourself for investing a lot of time into it. It's a bigger series than Outlaw Star, too.

Oh shit, is that rule 63 Jim Hawking on the right?

Heh, I can see how you got that idea but it's actually Azell, one of the FRHS characters who becomes one of Juji's (main character) crew members. Consider her Aisha's forerunner.

Zemekis
21st August 2018, 07:58 PM
Consider her Aisha's forerunner.

Yeah, and I'm her aft-chaser. :love: :love: :love:

Sorry