• Should children be taught healthy nutrition?
  • Should children be taught healthy nutrition?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 08:34 PM
    Posts
    2,015
    Wong
    47,927

    Should children be taught healthy nutrition?

    This is something that is expected to be taught by your parents. Like, as a child, you should learn what is good to eat and what is bad to eat, and what to limit in your diet. Aside from registered dietitians, I never hear of doctors teaching these things anymore and I see there are a lot of unhealthy children these days be it from sickness or just being overweight.

    Do you think general nutritional guidelines is something that should be taught to children in school? I think of all the things I was taught when I was at school and I think learning stuff about food would have helped me out. My mother never made horrible food but she did let me eat junk far more than I should have and I was overweight as a teen because of it. I only lost weight when I decided to become a vegetarian at the age of 15.

  2. #2
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Seen
    13th April 2020 11:50 AM
    Location
    France
    Age
    22
    Posts
    301
    Personality
    harrymacdougall
    Wong
    2,076
    I think it should definitely be thaught more in school. I remember having a one hour course in middle-school, but no more.
    This clearly is not enough. Nutrition is crucial, it can lessen risks of some cancers (like by eating organic food), of diabetes etc...
    It also can help avoid overweight, especially at a young age were we become more aware of, and worried about our body and other people's look.
    It is also a great thing because knowing what can be good to eat or not (or not too much) could lead to teens learning more about cooking.
    And how may times have we all thought at some point "i don't like/know how to cook, i guess i'll just order something" ?.

    So yes, i think it can be good.
    Never overestimate mankind.

  3. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  4. #3
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Seen
    Today 01:06 AM
    Posts
    44
    Wong
    785
    The food pyramid did wonders for me.
    *looks down at gut
    *20lbs over weight
    *sad face

  5. Funny S1LVERST@R35, KorinKitty found this post funny
  6. #4
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Seen
    13th April 2020 11:50 AM
    Location
    France
    Age
    22
    Posts
    301
    Personality
    harrymacdougall
    Wong
    2,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby81 View Post
    The food pyramid did wonders for me.
    *looks down at gut
    *20lbs over weight
    *sad face
    This is me, a few weeks ago. This could be me in a few days if i stop slowing down on food.
    Never overestimate mankind.

  7. #5
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 01:41 AM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,951
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,030,296
    I think for the most part this is down to parents. School can teach many things, but it won't prepare a child's food. "Fat acceptance" and the like are making it politically incorrect to view weight gain as a bad thing or something that must be addressed. Parents needn't avoid this wrongthink. My parents didn't teach me much nutrition but I can only blame them to a point.

    I was taught the food pyramid and some other nutrition in school. It was in PSHE class... the same class that taught us how to put condoms on bananas. In my opinion the food pyramid is very outdated.

  8. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  9. #6
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Seen
    16th August 2020 01:28 AM
    Posts
    119
    Wong
    4,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In my opinion the food pyramid is very outdated.
    Agreed. Our standards for what consists of a "good" diet need major revision. I think that some very basic nutritional guidelines should be taught in school, but by and large, leave dietary issues up to the parents, and instead focus on educating parents (rather than children) as to what consistutes a proper diet, as they have the final say on what children eat.

  10. Like S1LVERST@R35, KorinKitty liked this post
  11. #7
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 08:34 PM
    Posts
    2,015
    Wong
    47,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think for the most part this is down to parents. School can teach many things, but it won't prepare a child's food. "Fat acceptance" and the like are making it politically incorrect to view weight gain as a bad thing or something that must be addressed. Parents needn't avoid this wrongthink. My parents didn't teach me much nutrition but I can only blame them to a point.

    I was taught the food pyramid and some other nutrition in school. It was in PSHE class... the same class that taught us how to put condoms on bananas. In my opinion the food pyramid is very outdated.
    I do agree, parents should be teaching their kids this stuff but there are more and more parents raising kids these days who don't know proper nutrition themselves.

    I completely forgot about that fat acceptance movement. I try to ignore these things but that probably isn't a good thing. I am all for people loving themselves as they are but how can you truly say you love yourself if you are killing yourself with food? There is a difference between having some extra fat on you and being obese. Healthy = beautiful. That is embedded in our DNA and how we seek your mates. Being severely overweight is not healthy there for it is not ever going to be considered attractive.

    The pyramid is based on food sales with a bit of health non-sense springled in. We can't all be expected to eat the same diet and all be healthy. Different ethnicities and what not need different diets. Some people need more vitamin D3 for example than others to be healthy.

  12. #8
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 02:10 AM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,867
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    20,333
    Being fat is just like smoking in my opinion. You should be 100% free to do it, but you shouldn't be able to lie about it being healthy. The cool thing about making unhealthy choices is that people who do so don't live as long, thus they have less of a chance to reproduce and pass along that behavior. Again, nothing against the behavior, just lying about it being healthy when it's not. I don't mind fatsos, I mind liars.

    I guess a sidenote to that would be that an exceptionally fat person generally won't be able to do much in terms of work, and as they begin to die they require lots of expensive medical care...that they won't be able to afford. Indulging oneself is fine by me, but not on my dime. If you choose to be fat and choose to do nothing about it, I should be able to choose to pay the portion of my taxes that goes towards your care. Sure, I'll accept that you're fat, just as soon as you accept that my money is mine and mine alone. Where's the Savings Acceptance movement? Sorry, that comment was a little bigoted, here's a Baconator.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  13. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  14. #9
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Seen
    16th August 2020 01:28 AM
    Posts
    119
    Wong
    4,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    Being fat is just like smoking in my opinion. You should be 100% free to do it, but you shouldn't be able to lie about it being healthy. The cool thing about making unhealthy choices is that people who do so don't live as long, thus they have less of a chance to reproduce and pass along that behavior. Again, nothing against the behavior, just lying about it being healthy when it's not. I don't mind fatsos, I mind liars.

    I guess a sidenote to that would be that an exceptionally fat person generally won't be able to do much in terms of work, and as they begin to die they require lots of expensive medical care...that they won't be able to afford. Indulging oneself is fine by me, but not on my dime. If you choose to be fat and choose to do nothing about it, I should be able to choose to pay the portion of my taxes that goes towards your care. Sure, I'll accept that you're fat, just as soon as you accept that my money is mine and mine alone. Where's the Savings Acceptance movement? Sorry, that comment was a little bigoted, here's a Baconator.
    This is a huge prolem facing our society. Unfortunately, it goes beyond just brushing facts under the rug -- now we're at a point where we have sub-cultures that actually ENCOURAGE and praise these negative behaviors. Look at the "fat acceptance" movement -- rather than admitting, "uh hey, we're fucking dying, maybe we should eat less", these people have convinced themselves that this flaw is actually a part of their identity and they should feel proud of it.

  15. Like S1LVERST@R35, KorinKitty liked this post
  16. #10
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Seen
    13th April 2020 11:50 AM
    Location
    France
    Age
    22
    Posts
    301
    Personality
    harrymacdougall
    Wong
    2,076
    I woud add one thing : obese people usually cost more to buisnesses, would it be in social charges, lowered productivity, death risk (because it shakens the production ine) etc...
    As for the fat acceptance here is my opinion : it's your right to be fat and it's ok to be cool with it, sure. However don't go telling people it's alright because some will believe and so will spread obesity which means you're actively harming the economy, the country, and the people who let themselves go through medical issues and even death (related to obesity) because of your speech. As for the taxes, no matter what you pay, you don't decide where it goes. That's become a huge problem nowadays with quislings grid-locking ours governments.

    So not being bothered by your weight, ok.
    Fighting for obesity acceptance, no.
    Never overestimate mankind.

  17. Like KorinKitty liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Affiliates
Should children be taught healthy nutrition? Revillution.net - Your portal to entertainment! The Syndicate Lounge