• Soy - Is it a problem?
  • Soy - Is it a problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:32 AM
    Posts
    1,535
    Wong
    35,279

    Soy - Is it a problem?

    Okay guys, I know I post a lot of serious questions in this section that are for debate but I feel this is one that not enough young people speak on; Soy. Now I know there are studies casing both the benefits and the negative effects but I want to speak purely on the negatives. One of the biggest uses of soy today is in baby formula. Now when you have soy in baby formula, it is basically like giving your newborn birth control. That may sound strange but soy mimics estrogen in the body. This is the case with tests done on rats as well. As you can imagine, this leads it A LOT of issues later in life.

    Soy is reported to be to blame for much of the obesity rates in children., increases in juvenile diabetes, issues with menstrual cycles in teen girls, slow growth of muscle and a specific sexual organ of teen boys, and more.

    I am not going to get too into it yet. I just want to start a basis.

    What are your thoughts on soy. Should it be banned in all children's food? Should we all stop eating it all together?

  2. #2
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 11:24 AM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,350
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,020,875
    To be completely honest with you I never hear about anything like this. Maybe it's a US thing? I check out the news every few days but I never see anything about soy in the press. When I see that word the first thing that comes to mind is this stuff:

    Soy - Is it a problem?-72ovigz-jpg

    I don't need ten reasons, just one: it tastes like ass!

    Seriously though, even though I never hear about soy when I read about all the stuff Americans keep saying are terrible for our health, while I think there's likely some truth to a lot of it I also think plenty of these reports are likely exaggerated or baseless. They make a good story. Before I buy into these beliefs I have to see proper scientific documentation. "A study has shown" isn't good enough. Cholesterol has been cited as a serious cause of heart disease for a very long time now but actual studies have shown that it isn't the case at all. If I were you I wouldn't believe what you've said about soy without evidence of a valid and controlled study.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  3. Funny KorinKitty found this post funny
  4. #3
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    5th August 2017 08:18 PM
    Posts
    184
    Wong
    1,327
    I never really heard anything about soy being bad for babies, good thing I saw this thread. Personally, I do not like soy milk. I tried it once but I never really liked it and I ended up throwing what I bought. But I do love to eat tofu. I guess if it's bad for babies then we shouldn't let babies drink it, if it isn't real at least we would be sure that babies are a lot safer. I'll just stick with the fried tofu ^_^

  5. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  6. #4
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Seen
    30th March 2018 12:34 AM
    Posts
    27
    Wong
    622
    Soys like corn (allergic to both) a very gmo food .they don't break down well in stomach(eat corn look at poo..its whole??lol) I don't think its good to lean on one type of grain ...causes issues overtime.studies are all fairly new and lets be honest..the food suppliers arnt going to let it be known corn soy,ect gmo are harsh

  7. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  8. #5
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:32 AM
    Posts
    1,535
    Wong
    35,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Buck View Post
    I never really heard anything about soy being bad for babies, good thing I saw this thread. Personally, I do not like soy milk. I tried it once but I never really liked it and I ended up throwing what I bought. But I do love to eat tofu. I guess if it's bad for babies then we shouldn't let babies drink it, if it isn't real at least we would be sure that babies are a lot safer. I'll just stick with the fried tofu ^_^
    I think when it comes to soy of any kind, I really don't think anyone who has not gone through or finished puberty should even test it. I feel like this is one of many foods we are told is good for us but really isn't. Someone I used to be friends with had an older sister who was a dietitian. She basically ate a vegetarian diet that included tofu and other soy products. She ended up getting breast cancer. I think between the soy products and being on birth controller really did a number on her body. She had both of them completely removed.

  9. #6
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:32 AM
    Posts
    1,535
    Wong
    35,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    To be completely honest with you I never hear about anything like this. Maybe it's a US thing? I check out the news every few days but I never see anything about soy in the press. When I see that word the first thing that comes to mind is this stuff:

    Soy - Is it a problem?-72ovigz-jpg

    I don't need ten reasons, just one: it tastes like ass!

    Seriously though, even though I never hear about soy when I read about all the stuff Americans keep saying are terrible for our health, while I think there's likely some truth to a lot of it I also think plenty of these reports are likely exaggerated or baseless. They make a good story. Before I buy into these beliefs I have to see proper scientific documentation. "A study has shown" isn't good enough. Cholesterol has been cited as a serious cause of heart disease for a very long time now but actual studies have shown that it isn't the case at all. If I were you I wouldn't believe what you've said about soy without evidence of a valid and controlled study.
    The first part I found funny hence the rating.

    As for the rest, there are studies. Here is one example: https://archive.ahrq.gov/downloads/p...ffects/soy.pdf

    Problem is, a lot of soy we get in the US is not the same as they use in the East. Not only that, it is consumed at much higher rates.

    "Americans consume far more soy phytoestrogens (called isoflavones) than were ever part of a traditional diet in Asia. The average isoflavone intake in China for adults is 3 milligrams, or 0.05 mg per kilogram of body weight. In Japan, the figures range from 10 to 28 mg, or 0.17 to 0.47 mg isoflavones per kg of body weight. In contrast, infants receiving soy formula average 38 mg of isoflavones, which comes to a shocking 6.25 mg/kg of body weight!"

    I for one have had tons of hormonal issues. I was a vegetarian for several years, I was given formula as a baby, and I consume a lot of foods that contain soy. It all adds up. They put soy in so many things over here is is utterly ridiculous. It is the same with HFCS. The food and safety laws of other countries show by the state of health the people are in. The US is filled with sick, over-weight people and a continuing rise in issues with both men and women having trouble conceiving.

    Soy is certainly not to blame for everything but I feel it is a puzzle piece in a MAJOR problem in the US.

  10. Informative Mantis thinks that this is informative
  11. #7
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 11:24 AM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,350
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,020,875
    You did some pretty good homework there. It also makes sense that the soy you get is different. Maybe ours is genuine as I never heard these controversies. This reminded me of HFCS before I saw you mention it. Here in Europe that stuff is banned and instead we just use good ol' sugar. We are able to import US products, though. In this case I think it would be best to look for alternative foods (perhaps checking soy levels online beforehand) even if they're more expensive. After all, you can't put a price on health.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  12. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  13. #8
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Seen
    30th November 2017 06:31 PM
    Posts
    123
    Wong
    1,117
    As far as I know, Soy has a lot of benefits in our body, as long as you don't overdose. I haven't really heard anything about these disadvantages of consuming Soy products. The only negative side of it which I've read from articles is that it can trigger cancer cells when you overdose because I believe that too much of anything is bad. It would be safe if you consume soy in moderation.

  14. #9
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Last Seen
    8th May 2019 03:12 AM
    Posts
    236
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojari View Post
    As far as I know, Soy has a lot of benefits in our body, as long as you don't overdose. I haven't really heard anything about these disadvantages of consuming Soy products. The only negative side of it which I've read from articles is that it can trigger cancer cells when you overdose because I believe that too much of anything is bad. It would be safe if you consume soy in moderation.
    I agree. Soy surely has a lot of benefits; however, one possible side-effect of copious consumption I've heard and am inclined to believe (though I won't assert as fact, as I have no evidence for this and am not a nutrition expert) is...well, man boobs. Yes, man boobs. Now, there's probably not one all convenient catchall to explain "moobs" (is anyone else laughing as hard reading this as I am typing? lol tryin' to be semi-serious), and heck sorry fellas but a lot of times it's just excess fat gathering on the body (want bulging pecs? Use 'em or lose 'em), BUT as KorinKitty mentioned, it does mimic estrogen...so, what might high doses of "estrogen" in the human body do? Ding ding ding, that's right, biological qualities which we associate with the female form/conducive to nursing...like boobs.

    tl;dr go easy on the soy milk, fellas.

    (Didn't know about the formula and infants bit...that's sad...nothin' beats natural mother's milk.)
    No one's gonna' give you a map. You've gotta' walk your own path.
    - Hilda

  15. #10
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:32 AM
    Posts
    1,535
    Wong
    35,279
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    You did some pretty good homework there. It also makes sense that the soy you get is different. Maybe ours is genuine as I never heard these controversies. This reminded me of HFCS before I saw you mention it. Here in Europe that stuff is banned and instead we just use good ol' sugar. We are able to import US products, though. In this case I think it would be best to look for alternative foods (perhaps checking soy levels online beforehand) even if they're more expensive. After all, you can't put a price on health.
    There are some really crappy laws set up in US when it comes tot he food. They allow way too many chemicals and junk that is known to cause issues. Fermented soy is the one that is good for the body but not everyone gains those benefits. Some do, most people in the west don't. It tends to not be a good thing to eat. The soy I was referring to is the crap that is cheap, toxic, and not fermented at all.

Similar Threads

  1. Ranks Upgrade Problem
    By Mantis in forum Site Updates
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27th January 2011, 03:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •