• Complaining People
  • Complaining People

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Today 03:03 AM
    Posts
    1,267
    Wong
    28,409

    Complaining People

    I noticed something that I am sure others have, that people today complain a lot more than they used to.

    We are living in the safest time with the most options, freedoms, etc. and yet so many people are unhappy. I noticed a big portion of the complaints can be seen on social media. A lot of people basically use that as a platform to complain and argue with others. I notice it offline too. Most people in my family are super negative about everything.

    Why do you think so many people complain in excess today? I don't remember it being this bad just 10 years ago.

  2. #2
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    Today 05:49 AM
    Posts
    715
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    11,528
    People always complained. It's not a recent phenomenon. It only seems that way because the internet just makes it more visible. It's just human nature to point out bad things more often than they do the good. I think the fact that we have it pretty good (comparatively speaking) so since there's nothing too major to worry about, they piss, moan and whine over trivial shit. It's something everyone does.

  3. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  4. #3
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 09:56 PM
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    24
    Posts
    76
    Personality
    fredluo
    Wong
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    People always complained. It's not a recent phenomenon. It only seems that way because the internet just makes it more visible. It's just human nature to point out bad things more often than they do the good. I think the fact that we have it pretty good (comparatively speaking) so since there's nothing too major to worry about, they piss, moan and whine over trivial shit. It's something everyone does.
    How do you define complaining and how do you distinguish it from criticism?
    I have the suspicion that we have different definitions of that.

  5. #4
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Seen
    23rd May 2019 04:50 AM
    Location
    THE HOUSE OF THE LORD
    Posts
    185
    Personality
    aishaclanclan
    Wong
    6,188
    Opinion:

    Indeed, we are living in the safest times with the highest known average quality of life.
    So why are so many people bitching?

    Lack of exercise.

    Consider the periods of history where life for the average peasant was much more difficult, but also simpler in many ways.
    Pretty much everyone had a job (even if it paid almost squat).
    There was no internet and no 24-hr news cycle.
    If you didn't move your ass, you starved.
    As a consequence, though, you didn't have time to sit around and gain unnecessary weight.

    From what I've heard from various fitness instructors, athletes and sportsmen over the years, strenuous physical exercise helps put things into perspective.
    The body was built to move, and historically when people were in danger, they needed strenuous physical action to avoid death or serious injury.

    This translates into the modern day for people who participate in sports. I can't remember what the chemicals are named, but in your brain there is a combination that, when regularly exercising, keeps your stress levels low.


    This is the perspective I'm talking about. When routinely faced with physical challenges, your susceptibility to everyday stress is much lower.
    And therefore, less reason to complain.

    "Oh God, I almost died..."
    "Oh yeah? Well so and so just said x and I'm really offended!"

  6. #5
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 10:56 PM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,912
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,014,092
    I think people do complain more nowadays and they do it because they can. In the olden days you actually had to put some (even if sometimes little) effort into complaining. Nowadays all you have to do is whip out your phone and write a tweet. That's it, your daily whine complete. I think for many it becomes habitual.

    Increased offline bitching may be a side-effect of this. Sure, the internet makes it more visible, but it also provides a platform that allows you to broadcast your frustrations to thousands of like-minded individuals. It also allows people to complain about things that they never could in real life, through anonymity.

    Good points raised by all though. Exercise (or lack thereof) is a plausible theory.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  7. Like KorinKitty, Wanderer liked this post
  8. #6
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Today 03:03 AM
    Posts
    1,267
    Wong
    28,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think people do complain more nowadays and they do it because they can. In the olden days you actually had to put some (even if sometimes little) effort into complaining. Nowadays all you have to do is whip out your phone and write a tweet. That's it, your daily whine complete. I think for many it becomes habitual.

    Increased offline bitching may be a side-effect of this. Sure, the internet makes it more visible, but it also provides a platform that allows you to broadcast your frustrations to thousands of like-minded individuals. It also allows people to complain about things that they never could in real life, through anonymity.

    Good points raised by all though. Exercise (or lack thereof) is a plausible theory.
    Yeah I would not have considered lack of exercise to be a factor but they say when you keep the mind and body busy, it leaves little room for sinking into a bad mood. You need to be in a bad mood to want to vent and complain. Also, I read a study I think it was last year that said exercise, generally getting your heart rate up and working up a sweat, will ease anxiety more effectively than medicine. It also leads to better sleep and you can guess, a better outlook on life. You are just happier as a person. Makes sense.

  9. Drink to This! LtSurge would drink to this post
  10. #7
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Last Seen
    23rd May 2019 04:50 AM
    Location
    THE HOUSE OF THE LORD
    Posts
    185
    Personality
    aishaclanclan
    Wong
    6,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think people do complain more nowadays and they do it because they can. In the olden days you actually had to put some (even if sometimes little) effort into complaining. Nowadays all you have to do is whip out your phone and write a tweet. That's it, your daily whine complete. I think for many it becomes habitual.
    The accessibility of -ironically convenient- social media technology certainly makes complaining far easier of a practice, especially that social media tends to feed off of human attention-seeking and narcissistic behaviour

  11. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  12. #8
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Today 03:03 AM
    Posts
    1,267
    Wong
    28,409
    Quote Originally Posted by LtSurge View Post
    The accessibility of -ironically convenient- social media technology certainly makes complaining far easier of a practice, especially that social media tends to feed off of human attention-seeking and narcissistic behaviour
    I think that social media in a way made complaining normalized. Like it was once considered a bad trait by most to be a complainer but now you get praised for it on and offline it would seem. They even encourage you to complain at work, especially if you are a woman.

  13. Agree LtSurge agreed with this post
  14. #9
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 09:56 PM
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    24
    Posts
    76
    Personality
    fredluo
    Wong
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    I think that social media in a way made complaining normalized. Like it was once considered a bad trait by most to be a complainer but now you get praised for it on and offline it would seem. They even encourage you to complain at work, especially if you are a woman.
    I think it started since they got backed up by the media and radicalised parts of universities, which also train and produce the journalists.
    The stuff SJWs say these days wasnt imaginable during the 80s. I think even if they had social media back then.

    And i assume the Internet is the reason that they dont completely dominate the narrative by now.

  15. #10
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 09:35 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    785
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    6,856
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    I think that social media in a way made complaining normalized.
    Yeah, I think this sums it up pretty well. People aren't complaining MORE per se, it's just easier to access & broadcast.

    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    They even encourage you to complain at work, especially if you are a woman.
    Bigot! Strong, loud, angry women increase office cohesion by 10000000000000% studies have shown!! I'm gonna go file a complaint.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •