• Are any of those subscription boxes worth it?
  • Are any of those subscription boxes worth it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:33 AM
    Posts
    1,622
    Wong
    37,560

    Are any of those subscription boxes worth it?

    I have considered a few in the past but never bit the bullet and signed up.

    Anyone here subscribed to any of them or have you ever been?

    The ones that interest me the most are food-related ones or ones that are themed like the Pusheen boxes (which are not cheap and you only get 4 a year).

  2. #2
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 06:08 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,331
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    14,282
    I've never been interested in one and I've never understood the appeal aside from the ones that contain exclusive items. Anyone who is enough of a fan of something should already know exactly what they want to buy, right? Why get a random assortment with a price markup?

    For example, there's a monthly subscription service where they send you a retro/classic game every month. No clue what it is, but you get something. If you're interested in collecting older games, why would you just accept random ones (potentially duplicates of what you already have)? If you're not interested in building up your retro collection then.......you wouldn't pay for this service. I just don't get it. Same applies to the others. The only exception I can imagine is for exclusive official merchandise. I think a few anime series and games have released exclusive t-shirts via Lootcrate or something like that. I don't even subscribe to television, I'm not gonna subscribe to a box of junk arriving to my door every month.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  3. #3
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:33 AM
    Posts
    1,622
    Wong
    37,560
    I think there is the appeal of being suprised as well as receving something that is like a gift. I mean for me, personally, I love shopping online for this reason. I like getting items and opening the box. Maybe that is why?

    The box I mentioned, the Pusheen one, is almost always exclusive items you can't buy online so in fairness to them, they are doing it right I suppose.

    But I do see your points. It would make more sense to pay less and get what you want.

  4. #4
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 06:08 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,331
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    14,282
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    I think there is the appeal of being suprised as well as receving something that is like a gift. I mean for me, personally, I love shopping online for this reason. I like getting items and opening the box. Maybe that is why?

    The box I mentioned, the Pusheen one, is almost always exclusive items you can't buy online so in fairness to them, they are doing it right I suppose.

    But I do see your points. It would make more sense to pay less and get what you want.
    Oh damn, I didn't realize those cat things were called Pusheen. I saw them all over the place in Japan and my friends had me pick up a bunch of their merch some years ago while I was there.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  5. #5
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:33 AM
    Posts
    1,622
    Wong
    37,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    Oh damn, I didn't realize those cat things were called Pusheen. I saw them all over the place in Japan and my friends had me pick up a bunch of their merch some years ago while I was there.
    Yeah there are other critters as well made by the same woman. I could be wrong but I think it all started on Tumblr. Doodling designs and it just took off. Everyone loves kawaii and Japanese style animals.

  6. #6
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today 04:01 AM
    Posts
    1,374
    Wong
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    Everyone loves kawaii and Japanese style animals.
    Everyone?
    "It turned out that the ghost was just Mr. Finley, who ran the amusement park. The spooky part is that, as soon as the ghost appeared, the teenagers' dog began to speak! And it spoke in a tortured parody of human speech: 'relp me, Raggy,' it would say. 'I am an abomination and rould re rilled. Rill re, Raggy.'"

  7. Funny KorinKitty found this post funny
  8. #7
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 09:55 PM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,462
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,022,622
    I did some digging and I can only conclude that Pusheen was created in the United States. At first I assumed it was Ireland since its name is derived from Irish for cat. Interesting how this Facebook character became so popular in Japan.

    On the other hand, although the Hello Kitty character apparently goes to school in London, she was invented in Japan which is no surprise. Damn thing is worth $80,000,000,000. Second biggest franchise in the world. I say thing literally. According to the inventor, Hello Kitty isn't a cat, but a human girl. Yikes.

    On-topic edit: Yes and no. I'd say the mass-produced "nerdy" shit like Loot Crate is not worth it because you end up getting a bunch of crap you don't care about, unless you somehow like everything that's remotely geeky. Worse yet, you'll undoubtedly end up with those monstrosities called Pop Vinyls.

    Some crates are good. I receive a crate every two months from a YouTuber I support. He puts them together (heck, even including his own doodles on the packaging) and lets you know in advance what the next box theme will be. They're always related to video games and I get way cooler merch than you'd get with Loot Crate for instance. A couple of my favourites are a repro Mega Drive cart (for a Streets of Rage ROM hack) and a figure based on the RoboCop sprites from the RoboCop vs. Terminator video game. The point is that even though I could get the crate items cheaper individually, I'm supporting a great game channel (Slope's Game Room) and like Korin pointed out, the surprise factor is enjoyable.

    I got a food "boxes" called TokyoTreat as a Christmas present for my nephew. (He's a bit of a weeaboo.) I took advantage of the deal and got one for myself too. I think specialist boxes have more value than a generic geek box. The Japanese snacks are pretty good, but would I subscribe to it normally? Nah. Too expensive.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  9. #8
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:33 AM
    Posts
    1,622
    Wong
    37,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I did some digging and I can only conclude that Pusheen was created in the United States. At first I assumed it was Ireland since its name is derived from Irish for cat. Interesting how this Facebook character became so popular in Japan.

    On the other hand, although the Hello Kitty character apparently goes to school in London, she was invented in Japan which is no surprise. Damn thing is worth $80,000,000,000. Second biggest franchise in the world. I say thing literally. According to the inventor, Hello Kitty isn't a cat, but a human girl. Yikes.

    On-topic edit: Yes and no. I'd say the mass-produced "nerdy" shit like Loot Crate is not worth it because you end up getting a bunch of crap you don't care about, unless you somehow like everything that's remotely geeky. Worse yet, you'll undoubtedly end up with those monstrosities called Pop Vinyls.

    Some crates are good. I receive a crate every two months from a YouTuber I support. He puts them together (heck, even including his own doodles on the packaging) and lets you know in advance what the next box theme will be. They're always related to video games and I get way cooler merch than you'd get with Loot Crate for instance. A couple of my favourites are a repro Mega Drive cart (for a Streets of Rage ROM hack) and a figure based on the RoboCop sprites from the RoboCop vs. Terminator video game. The point is that even though I could get the crate items cheaper individually, I'm supporting a great game channel (Slope's Game Room) and like Korin pointed out, the surprise factor is enjoyable.

    I got a food "boxes" called TokyoTreat as a Christmas present for my nephew. (He's a bit of a weeaboo.) I took advantage of the deal and got one for myself too. I think specialist boxes have more value than a generic geek box. The Japanese snacks are pretty good, but would I subscribe to it normally? Nah. Too expensive.
    It is still done in a "kawaii" style. I didn't mean it was made over there, in Japan. I mean I myself draw anime and kawaii style characters. I think a lot of people in the US do the same. American styled cartoons aren't as fun to draw/illustrate. lol

    Yeah I was considering the Japanese snack ones but the price is pretty high considering the cost of the items in Japan. I also considered doing a British one. I can't remember what it is called but it is a bunch of snacks and candy we don't have in the US. I mean we only just Kinder bueno bars late last year.

    I actually like sweets and salty snacks from the UK more than the US. We put too much crap in our food.

  10. #9
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 06:08 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,331
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    14,282
    I'm looking for a bento box, it cant be pinku (that's Japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (that's Japanese for 2 compartments) and has to be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (Korea) or whatever. I have found a bento box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i don't want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    It is still done in a "kawaii" style.
    Sorry, just had to post this once you put "kawaii" into quotes. A favorite copypasta of mine, I keep it saved to my desktop for quick use. Thanks for validating me.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  11. Like Mantis liked this post
    Facepalm Mantis facepalmed at this post
  12. #10
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 09:55 PM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,462
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,022,622
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    It is still done in a "kawaii" style. I didn't mean it was made over there, in Japan. I mean I myself draw anime and kawaii style characters. I think a lot of people in the US do the same. American styled cartoons aren't as fun to draw/illustrate. lol
    I think what you're replying to there was mainly a response to what Zemekis said. (I guess I should have made better use of quotes.) I wasn't saying that Japanese styles cannot be imitated outside of Japan.

    As for British snack boxes, yeah, we have pretty good stuff here, but I still envy your amount of choice. I also envy your Fanta Grape. That's expensive to import, unless I drink the peasant's zero version that made its way here last year. The usual complaint Americans have about their own junk food is high-fructose corn syrup but I never saw anything too bad about it.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  13. Like KorinKitty liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Affiliates
Are any of those subscription boxes worth it? Revillution.net - Your portal to entertainment!