• When do you typically sleep?
  • When do you typically sleep?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 08:49 PM
    Posts
    1,548
    Wong
    35,611

    When do you typically sleep?

    I have been having issues with my sleep. For a long while, I was going to bed about 3 AM and now I find myself staying awake till 6 AM or later (earlier?). I feel best when I am asleep by 1 AM but I have not been able to fall asleep that early for a long, long time. I have even pulled several "all-nighters" to try to fix it and it hasn't worked.

    I am curious as to what time you all head to bed and if you struggle with sleep like I do. Trying to find a way to fix this.

  2. #2
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 05:33 AM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,360
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,021,025
    My sleep has fluctuated a lot recently. When I was a student it was all easier. I don't know how I got away with sleeping in class sometimes. Procrastinated frequently and learned how to do all-nighters properly.

    Now I'm trying to fix my sleep. I had trouble falling asleep last night. I reckon I nodded off around midnight or shortly after and woke up at 7.30 which is going to take some getting used to. Can't rely on energy drinks anymore. I suppose a good breakfast is the best thing.

    I think the cut-off point when one loses those student sleep/energy superpowers is mid-20s. Towards 30s and beyond, good luck, younger members of the forum.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  3. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  4. #3
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    8th September 2019 11:18 AM
    Posts
    1,330
    Wong
    2,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think the cut-off point when one loses those student sleep/energy superpowers is mid-20s.
    Speak for yourself! I'm 32 and as erratic as ever!
    "It turned out that the ghost was just Mr. Finley, who ran the amusement park. The spooky part is that, as soon as the ghost appeared, the teenagers' dog began to speak! And it spoke in a tortured parody of human speech: 'relp me, Raggy,' it would say. 'I am an abomination and rould re rilled. Rill re, Raggy.'"

  5. Funny KorinKitty found this post funny
  6. #4
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 08:49 PM
    Posts
    1,548
    Wong
    35,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    My sleep has fluctuated a lot recently. When I was a student it was all easier. I don't know how I got away with sleeping in class sometimes. Procrastinated frequently and learned how to do all-nighters properly.

    Now I'm trying to fix my sleep. I had trouble falling asleep last night. I reckon I nodded off around midnight or shortly after and woke up at 7.30 which is going to take some getting used to. Can't rely on energy drinks anymore. I suppose a good breakfast is the best thing.

    I think the cut-off point when one loses those student sleep/energy superpowers is mid-20s. Towards 30s and beyond, good luck, younger members of the forum.
    As of right now, if I lay down any earlier than 3AM, I will be wide awake in 3 hours. I don't know why this is happening or what is causing it. I was told sitting in front of a computer screen at night can alter sleep because of the blue light. Not sure if this is true or not. I am considering trying one of those filter things. I think Windows 10 has one built-in.

  7. #5
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 05:33 AM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,360
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,021,025
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    As of right now, if I lay down any earlier than 3AM, I will be wide awake in 3 hours. I don't know why this is happening or what is causing it. I was told sitting in front of a computer screen at night can alter sleep because of the blue light. Not sure if this is true or not. I am considering trying one of those filter things. I think Windows 10 has one built-in.
    I've had the same problem. Happens more often in the summer. I suggest a warm drink but avoiding caffeine within two hours before sleeping. Install F.lux to avoid the computer screen problem. You can get it for Windows and mobiles. Try listening to either ASMR, audiobooks, podcasts or relaxing music. (Ambient is a good option.)
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  8. Like KorinKitty liked this post
  9. #6
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 08:49 PM
    Posts
    1,548
    Wong
    35,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I've had the same problem. Happens more often in the summer. I suggest a warm drink but avoiding caffeine within two hours before sleeping. Install F.lux to avoid the computer screen problem. You can get it for Windows and mobiles. Try listening to either ASMR, audiobooks, podcasts or relaxing music. (Ambient is a good option.)
    I listen to a fan noise when I sleep. I keep earbuds in. I am such a light sleeper that if I don't wear them, everything would be waking me up. I used F.lux years ago but I can't remember if it helped or not. I did have it on my phone as well. I should just go back to it. Can't hurt.

  10. Like Mantis liked this post
  11. #7
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 07:51 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,229
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    12,952
    Okay, i've been avoiding this topic since it usually gets me so negative but this thread has some steam so i'll join in. Since I was 5 I haven't been able to sleep well. I feel nauseous when I wake up every morning, and going to bed ends my evening free time so it has always been negative for me. Add to that the fact that i usually take 1-2 hours to fall asleep and it's easily the worst part of my life. On work nights I stay up until 2am (up at 6:30), on weekends I stay up until 5 or 6am usually and wake up at noon. That means I sleep 4 hours on work nights and 6 on weekends. I can't imagine getting 8 hours of sleep, how could you even live an adult life and sleep that much? I'm so warped by having all my sleep problems that I never experienced a "normal sleep schedule" and I typically think of people who sleep 8+ hours as very lazy. Think for just a second how often people complain to you about being tired or not getting enough sleep the night before. Now imagine that happens to you EVERY night, but you have to listen to Sleeping Beauty complain to you the next day. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  12. #8
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 10:18 PM
    Posts
    111
    Wong
    4,290
    This topic is very relevant to me.

    I have had trouble sleeping for a long time now. I either sleep for 12 hours at a time, or for short 3-4 hour bursts. It somewhat correlated with the birth of my son (now 4 years old), so disrupted sleep is to be expected, but even now, all these years later, I still can't pin down a good schedule. To be quite honest, I drink an excessive amount of alcohol almost every night, and I know that this has a huge impact on the quality of your sleep. From my understanding, alcohol is a sedative that makes you go into deep sleep too quickly but prevents restful sleep. Nights where I drink (basically, most nights), I find that if I go to bed at 3am, I'll wake up at 6am or so. I can make it until about 5pm, and then I start to get dog tired.


    If you think about it, historically our sleep patterns have been dictated by physiology and the rising of the sun. In ancient cultures, our bodies were conditioned to fall asleep when the sun set, and wake up when the sun rose. This is what makes the most sense, because there isn't much we can do in pitch blackness, yet light affords us many opportunities for hunting and farming. Unfortunately, our technology and culture has progressed beyond the means of our physical capabilities, and so modern life has a great way of throwing off our circadian rhythms. Imbibing alcohol, eating too late or too early, staying up beyond the point of exhaustion, consuming caffeine and numerous other activities are impairing our ability to establish an effective sleep cycle, and it's throwing us off. To be quite honest, I think lack of sleep, and more properly, lack of quality sleep, is one of the biggest issues in our culture. When you are rested, you are yourself. Don't rest enough, though? You can go crazy.

  13. #9
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 07:51 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,229
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    12,952
    Quote Originally Posted by StarDood64 View Post
    This topic is very relevant to me.

    I have had trouble sleeping for a long time now. I either sleep for 12 hours at a time, or for short 3-4 hour bursts. It somewhat correlated with the birth of my son (now 4 years old), so disrupted sleep is to be expected, but even now, all these years later, I still can't pin down a good schedule. To be quite honest, I drink an excessive amount of alcohol almost every night, and I know that this has a huge impact on the quality of your sleep. From my understanding, alcohol is a sedative that makes you go into deep sleep too quickly but prevents restful sleep. Nights where I drink (basically, most nights), I find that if I go to bed at 3am, I'll wake up at 6am or so. I can make it until about 5pm, and then I start to get dog tired.


    If you think about it, historically our sleep patterns have been dictated by physiology and the rising of the sun. In ancient cultures, our bodies were conditioned to fall asleep when the sun set, and wake up when the sun rose. This is what makes the most sense, because there isn't much we can do in pitch blackness, yet light affords us many opportunities for hunting and farming. Unfortunately, our technology and culture has progressed beyond the means of our physical capabilities, and so modern life has a great way of throwing off our circadian rhythms. Imbibing alcohol, eating too late or too early, staying up beyond the point of exhaustion, consuming caffeine and numerous other activities are impairing our ability to establish an effective sleep cycle, and it's throwing us off. To be quite honest, I think lack of sleep, and more properly, lack of quality sleep, is one of the biggest issues in our culture. When you are rested, you are yourself. Don't rest enough, though? You can go crazy.
    Wow, our sleep cycles (or lack thereof) are eerily similar.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  14. #10
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    8th September 2019 11:18 AM
    Posts
    1,330
    Wong
    2,020
    How do you do it?
    "It turned out that the ghost was just Mr. Finley, who ran the amusement park. The spooky part is that, as soon as the ghost appeared, the teenagers' dog began to speak! And it spoke in a tortured parody of human speech: 'relp me, Raggy,' it would say. 'I am an abomination and rould re rilled. Rill re, Raggy.'"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •