• Legends of the Hidden Idolo

412
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    1,553

Legends of the Hidden Idolo

I'm going to give this online journal thing a try and hope to maintain.

For the last three weeks has been the busiest I've been in years since I started working full time. A lot was a mix of work and extracurricular activities of a organization I'm part of. For the work portion, since I never stated my profession I'm a civil engineer/draftsman (technician since I only got an associates degree for both) and work for construction company in Washington, but live in Oregon. I won't get into the nitty gritty details of what i do because I will spend a least an hour explaining it, so in short I travel to work sites talk to everybody there and they tell me or my manager of the progress and what changes they might need to do to the blue prints. I go back to the office consult the head architect (my manager) he checks and makes sure everything is within legal state standards and I go to my computer and make the changes with four others on Auto CAD. Send the changes to the sub contractors (thank god for secure e-mails) and that's more or less what I do. Sorry if I didn't explain this well, but for the rest of the story the last two weekends I had to travel with my Mom and Grandma to Portland, OR and visited my Uncle. Then a week later I had a convention I was a part of and helped out. Met a lot of neat and interesting people there and hope to meet again next year. I'll tell more later I need to sign off just saw a lighting strike out my window. Later tater.
    We are all insane, we just act normal for the sake of others.

2. #2
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    31st July 2019 05:00 AM
    Age
    Posts
    412
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    1,553

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

Not so good news everybody or at least for me anyway. I came home from work and my TV was on with no signal sign on the screen. I have my flatscreen programed to turn on about fifteen minutes before I come home with the local news or whatever channel I left it on that morning, but not today. I noticed my DVR was not powered on so I pushed the power button and nothing happens. Then I unplugged it and replugged it and guess what happened. It started to make a high pitched noise and a lot of smoke started to come out of the fan in the back that filled my living room. Safe to assume that my DVR is dead which pisses me off because I have the Toonami line up that I missed for the last three weekends is gone with the Thundercats I've been recording among other movies and shows too. The only real up side to this is I have the protection plan and they are sending me a new DVR hopefully by Friday.
    We are all insane, we just act normal for the sake of others.

3. #3
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    31st July 2019 05:00 AM
    Age
    Posts
    412
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    1,553

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

Third post yay! Got out of work early today, our boss is feeling generous today and let all of us go at noon. This usually means a slow day and I'm not complaining. Got home and my dog had a funk that I didn't realize until now. So, the poor thing got a bath and is now unhappy with me for the day. At about 2:00 PM my DSL was randomly turning my internet on and off. Called my ISP was on hold for fifteen minutes with the first person and she told me she could not find my account. I'm using Centurylink, but it used to Qwest before CL bought them out a year ago, so there is the problem one same company different groups for problems. Waited another thirty minutes for the another person while they did test and found that they need to "refresh" my network. It seems to work so far, but they once again capped my speed to what used to be when I first got it. Can't get faster speeds because I live in the boonies. I'm really starting to think of getting wireless internet, but money is an issue right now so I have internet at least again. Still waiting for my replacement DVR.
    We are all insane, we just act normal for the sake of others.

4. #4
    6,364
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,021,076

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

It's nice to read this, especially with the regular updates. Sorry to hear the setbacks, though. It's interesting to see you work with AutoCAD and blueprints. I studied blueprints a little when I was working with 3D at university. Anyway, sounds like a cool profession and a busy one too. Heh, lightning. It's always pissing it down here, but I never get that.

Wow, that really sucks about the DVR. Are you sure you can't pull the data off? Despite a lot of it being fried, it's possible the HDD is still intact surely. I hope you get your replacement soon. Damn, that's pretty crappy customer support. How much have they capped the speeds by? When you say wireless internet, I assume you mean cell/mobile internet. Anyway, it was an enjoyable read.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

412
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    1,553

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

The work I do with AutoCAD is mostly buildings, storage and housing designs. It gets real complicated once you get into inside with pluming, electrical and so on. Some of my fellow employees use for redesigning ships from Babylon 5, Star Trek and Star Wars on their free time at home. As for the DVR, I have no idea how to recover the shows from it. Casshern Sins is on Hulu so I can watch it there. DMW I already seen as a fansub and at this point I can care less about Bleach. The wait I can tolerate it's the attitudes I can't, but they were decent so I can't complain to much. They capped me at 65 to 70 KB/sec download speed from 165 to 170 KB/s download speed. They say that is what I'm paying for and that is what I get, but no high speed internet where I live nice isn't it. If you mean putting a receiver on my roof to get internet then yes.
    We are all insane, we just act normal for the sake of others.

6. #6
    6,364
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,021,076

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

I would suggest since you have nothing to lose from it to open up the DVR using whatever means necessary and find the hard drive. It will likely either be a 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive, and you'll be able to find an external USB hard drive enclosure on the internet. These are generally cheap since they don't come with a hard drive; rather, they allow you to connect a previously-internal hard drive via USB. I can't guarantee it's a working solution since it depends on whether the hard drive isn't badly damaged and the filesystem it uses (although I'm fairly sure the latter wouldn't be a problem), but if you value the videos it might be a good idea. However, you should ensure that your current hard drive(s) has enough free space to fit the data on your DVR on it. It probably won't be more than a 500GB hard drive in the DVR, if that. There may be a guide for your particular DVR model on how to retrieve the videos using your computer via a Google search.

Wow, 65/70, that sucks. Takes me back to the Freeserve dial-up days, although that was a little slower. Oh, right, I follow you. You mean satellite internet, or are you thinking of something like this?

Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

412
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    1,553

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

Satellite internet, why couldn't I think of the word. I'm not too worried about the DVR now mostly I found other means to find the Toonami stuff on the web with the Thundercats too. I might as well have dial-up at these speeds. So, maybe after my trip I'll start searching for alternative ISP's though my options are limited due to where I live. The video is a nifty idea, but there are not too many WiFi signals out here and they are secured. If I only live next to a McDonald's or a coffee shop.
    We are all insane, we just act normal for the sake of others.

8. #8
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    31st July 2019 05:00 AM
    Age
    Posts
    412
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    1,553

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

Got off work early again and have the next week off, nice. Getting ready for the trip to Lehman Caves tomorrow. Good news I got the new DVR today, set up and ready to go. Now I have to wait for it to updated before I set up the recordings of Toonami.
    We are all insane, we just act normal for the sake of others.

9. #9
    6,364
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,021,076

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

Excellent. Let's hope your DVR is exposed to a little Outlaw Star soon.
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

412
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    1,553

RE: Legends of the Hidden Idolo

Here in the hotel and about ready to go to bed. Drove half of the trip and my aunt's cat scratched my poor dumb dog. He cornered the cat and fought back, so; he learned a hard lesson, but otherwise he's fine at home. Heading out tomorrow morning early and depending how I'm feeling after maybe some teaser pics. Good night, everybody!
    We are all insane, we just act normal for the sake of others.

Similar Threads

1. League of Legends
    By Working Buck in forum Games
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28th June 2017, 01:37 AM
  2. Here's Johnny... Oh, wait I meant Idolo!
    By Lord-Idolo in forum West Virginia Spaceport
    Last Post: 5th June 2015, 12:33 AM
  5. Halo Legends
    By Mantis in forum The Ctarl-Ctarl Empire
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th September 2011, 03:57 PM

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts