• Hypothetical Live Action Movie
  • Hypothetical Live Action Movie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Seen
    Today 08:44 AM
    Posts
    1,506
    Wong
    34,517

    Hypothetical Live Action Movie

    Let's say someone decided to make a live action movie of Outlaw Star. In this hypothetical, who would you cast to play which characters? I am not sure if a thread was made like this before but I didn't see one. I thought it could be a fun discussion for us.

    I'll start with Aisha Clanclan:


    Had she been younger, Vanessa Williams I think would do great based on her looks and acting ability but I think a younger woman would be better so I am going to go with saying Naya Rivera:



    Picture her with white hair and some emerald teal contact lenses in.

  2. Like Mantis liked this post
  3. #2
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    Today 12:07 AM
    Posts
    877
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    18,424
    If he were in his younger years, Bruce Campbell would've gotten my vote to play Gene Starwind.

    Hypothetical Live Action Movie-army-darkness-jpg

    When I showed Mantis Army of Darkness, I told him the big thing that got me hooked on Gene was he kind reminded me a bit of Ash, Bruce Campbell's character from that movie. If there's anyone that could deliver that same cocky, over confident attitude that Gene has, it's Bruce.

    Nowadays? I guess the closest modern actor that could pull off Gene is Henry Cavill. I've seen interviews with him where he came off as funny and charming which I think is key in playing Gene.

  4. Like KorinKitty, Mantis liked this post
  5. #3
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    24th March 2019 10:50 AM
    Posts
    41
    Personality
    melfina
    Wong
    648
    For Fei
    Hypothetical Live Action Movie-496277-jpg

    on a serious note:
    I'd honestly prefer almost everyone to be Asian given that if the character's name was Asian, they be Asian. But that would most likely never happen in Hollywood unless it was by some miracle.

    I did like the Gene pick though at his age now, I could see him as the older MacDougall brother if he could do a serious roll.

  6. #4
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 01:20 PM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,299
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,020,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Emo_Kakyo View Post
    I'd honestly prefer almost everyone to be Asian given that if the character's name was Asian, they be Asian. But that would most likely never happen in Hollywood unless it was by some miracle.
    Actually, according to Outlaw Star lore that isn't quite true! Though you're right that many of them would be Asian. A rundown...

    Gene: Western, most likely American. His western origins were brought up in the manga and he's from Earth. His dad, Norman Starwind, was probably associated with the USSA (US space agency) one way or another.

    Jim: Western, although he was born on a planet called Homage which may have been colonised by Americans. Additionally, like Gene he was called a westerner in the manga.

    Hilda: Like Gene and Jim she was called a westerner in the manga. She has a western name, and she apparently named her ship, Horus, after an Egyptian god of the sky. (Conversely, a Kei Pirate ship might have a distinctly Asian name.)

    Melfina: There probably isn't a right answer here. She's from an ancient race that determined a lot of events in mankind's history, so she doesn't actually have any ancestry on Earth. All that can really be said for a live action film is that the actress should be light-skinned. Were it my choice I'd probably cast a Japanese actress as she has that look, but I don't think Asian or Caucasian are incorrect.

    Suzuka: Although we don't learn a lot about her past, given her kimono, her martial arts and swordplay and her name, the obvious choice is Japanese.

    Aisha: Like Melfina there isn't a proper answer. She's an alien; human races do not apply. She looks a bit like a ganguro girl to me.

    Kei Pirates: They're all Chinese, same with the other guilds. This also applies to the Anten Seven.

    Ron: I have no idea

    Harry: He's a bio-android, so it's difficult to say. This reminds me of Major from Ghost in the Shell...

    Although she was originally a Japanese girl called Motoko Kusanagi, after dying her soul was transferred to a synthetic shell. It was perfectly fine to cast Scarlett Johansson as Major. It's only SJW idiots who mostly had no interest in GitS who pointed out this "whitewashing" that wasn't even a thing anyway.


    And I think that's most of the more important characters.

    Despite everything I've said this is a lose-lose scenario. Even if you stayed faithful to the lore idiots would do the same thing as with GitS. Certainly in this case I don't think it's a matter of Hollywood being considerate either. Given how so many characters in Outlaw Star are Chinese, the likelihood of finding that many skilled Chinese actors who are both fluent in English and fit the role isn't so great.

    You'd probably have more luck finding Japanese actors as it has a more prominent film industry. However, given the tensions between China and Japan I'm not so sure that casting Japanese actors as Chinese characters would go down so well.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  7. #5
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    24th March 2019 10:50 AM
    Posts
    41
    Personality
    melfina
    Wong
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Actually, according to Outlaw Star lore that isn't quite true! Though you're right that many of them would be Asian. A rundown...

    Gene: Western, most likely American. His western origins were brought up in the manga and he's from Earth. His dad, Norman Starwind, was probably associated with the USSA (US space agency) one way or another.

    Jim: Western, although he was born on a planet called Homage which may have been colonised by Americans. Additionally, like Gene he was called a westerner in the manga.

    Hilda: Like Gene and Jim she was called a westerner in the manga. She has a western name, and she apparently named her ship, Horus, after an Egyptian god of the sky. (Conversely, a Kei Pirate ship might have a distinctly Asian name.)

    Melfina: There probably isn't a right answer here. She's from an ancient race that determined a lot of events in mankind's history, so she doesn't actually have any ancestry on Earth. All that can really be said for a live action film is that the actress should be light-skinned. Were it my choice I'd probably cast a Japanese actress as she has that look, but I don't think Asian or Caucasian are incorrect.

    Suzuka: Although we don't learn a lot about her past, given her kimono, her martial arts and swordplay and her name, the obvious choice is Japanese.

    Aisha: Like Melfina there isn't a proper answer. She's an alien; human races do not apply. She looks a bit like a ganguro girl to me.

    Kei Pirates: They're all Chinese, same with the other guilds. This also applies to the Anten Seven.

    Ron: I have no idea

    Harry: He's a bio-android, so it's difficult to say. This reminds me of Major from Ghost in the Shell...

    Although she was originally a Japanese girl called Motoko Kusanagi, after dying her soul was transferred to a synthetic shell. It was perfectly fine to cast Scarlett Johansson as Major. It's only SJW idiots who mostly had no interest in GitS who pointed out this "whitewashing" that wasn't even a thing anyway.

    l.
    yes this what i was referring; I wasn't away Hilda was

    Actually that was just for the film; Major's enithic background is a mystery in the Manga. they state in the prologue Mokoto is a fake name. I agree with the rest of that comment though

  8. #6
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    15th November 2019 06:56 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,166
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    12,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Melfina: There probably isn't a right answer here. She's from an ancient race that determined a lot of events in mankind's history, so she doesn't actually have any ancestry on Earth. All that can really be said for a live action film is that the actress should be light-skinned. Were it my choice I'd probably cast a Japanese actress as she has that look, but I don't think Asian or Caucasian are incorrect.
    I can't assist too much with the whole actors/actresses thing as I don't watch much live-action media or care for it very much. I'd prefer another anime season over an anime anyday, but i appreciate the spirit of this thread. ON ANOTHER NOTE, I didn't know Melfina was from some ancient race? Did I just miss that or have I not seen the end of the anime enough times? In my memory, Melfina was always an android??? I remember Gene pulling on her face and sayiing that she's really realistsic. How did I miss the reveal that she's not a robot?
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  9. #7
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 01:20 PM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,299
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,020,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    I didn't know Melfina was from some ancient race? Did I just miss that or have I not seen the end of the anime enough times? In my memory, Melfina was always an android??? I remember Gene pulling on her face and sayiing that she's really realistsic. How did I miss the reveal that she's not a robot?
    I didn't mean that so literally. Gwen Khan 'discovered' Melfina in a figurative black box, but like he said himself, even his brilliant mind couldn't quite decipher its secrets. Yes, Melfina is considered a bio-android (well, Gwen argues to the contrary), but a 'clone' of her is also the Maiden of the Leyline, from whom Melfina finally discovers and understands herself. Heck, even "God" has a face that resembles Melfina's and Melfina uses the term "machine god".

    Most of what we know about Melfina is theoretical, but that's something great about Outlaw Star: its mystique, and a lore that travels to the end of the universe. Even if I end up thinking I know everything, there will still be so many 'what ifs'. Remember that in a manner of speaking the Leyline itself is robotic, or as Gene Starwind called it: "cyberspace", after he and his friends died, before their revival. This suggests that the afterlife in the Toward Stars universe is existence as data. It all gets really philosophical and frankly confusing from there.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  10. #8
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    15th November 2019 06:56 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,166
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    12,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    It all gets really philosophical and frankly confusing from there.
    It was confusing faaaaar before that point, haha. It's all kind of a mess as i've expressed before. I think Ito had way more ideas than his manga schedule and page limit could account for. The extra pages in the manga rapidly dive into really deep subjects, then hop onwards to the next one. You wind up with a vast ocean of lore that's only ankle-deep. For some series, like this one, that is more intriguing than frustrating. The mystery definitely adds to the mystique, even though I think it was a mistake.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  11. #9
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Last Seen
    24th March 2019 10:50 AM
    Posts
    41
    Personality
    melfina
    Wong
    648
    I found the ending to the anime to be lackluster; but they did leave it open to a continuation that never happened which is what these feels it left me with
    it would be difficult to plot out an ending to a live action as well as which version to do.
    The best step to be taken as far as I could see would be making it a trilogy; but how many people would actually be interested in a three part series? and to that extent; how many people would lose interest if the first one ends on a cliffhanger which would be the most efficient way of making it as to intact the average movie goer to come watch this movie?

  12. #10
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    15th November 2019 06:56 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,166
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    12,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Emo_Kakyo View Post
    I found the ending to the anime to be lackluster; but they did leave it open to a continuation that never happened which is what these feels it left me with
    it would be difficult to plot out an ending to a live action as well as which version to do.
    The best step to be taken as far as I could see would be making it a trilogy; but how many people would actually be interested in a three part series? and to that extent; how many people would lose interest if the first one ends on a cliffhanger which would be the most efficient way of making it as to intact the average movie goer to come watch this movie?
    I guess they would need to write an ending to it if they wanted to solve that issue. The manga is already quite different from the anime, so the movie may as well be different from the prior two as well.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •