Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 10:21 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I'd say that no, I'm not, but I did buy one of those "Maneki-neko" statues. I just thought it looked funny, I guess! One of these things...

Name:  manekineko.gif
Views: 19
Size:  1.11 MB

Probably a similar reason to why Homer got one of those drinking birds. (I also have one of these.)

Name:  drinkingbird.gif
Views: 18
Size:  518.4 KB

Back on topic, the Maneki-neko's an interesting thing. You can either get the "beckoning" ones that move, usually battery-powered like above, or you can get a less interesting one that doesn't move. It's the paw that's doing the beckoning that makes the difference. One paw is for luck in life in general and the other is for luck in business (if I recall correctly), so apparently it's important that you choose your cat wisely. Either way, mine has done sod all for my luck and just waves at me with a cold, dead stare. Here's to Japan!
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    2nd August 2017 02:56 AM
    Wong
    I dоn't bеliеvе in аny supеrstitiоns, it just brings bаd luсk. Fоr еxаmplе if yоu bеliеvе it is bаd luсk tо сrоss thе pаth оf а blасk саt аnd yоu suddеnly turn lеft tо аvоid it, yоu might wаlk intо а lаmp pоst.
    оn а sеriоus nоtе, mоst supеrstitiоns hаvе its rооts in thе fоlklоrе оf аnсiеnt ignоrаnt аnd supеrstitiоus sосiеtiеs, fоr еxаmplе blасk саts wеrе аssосiаtеd with witсhеs.
    Things likе fоrtunе tеlling аnd аstrоlоgy hаs bееn sсiеntifiсаlly thоrоughly dеbunkеd аs psеudоsсiеnсе. Thе rеsults оf fоrtunе tеllеrs аrе nо bеttеr thаn guеss wоrk. Sоmе аstrоlоgеrs will usе сlеvеr mind triсks tо mаkе thеir rеsults lооk bеttеr thаn guеss wоrk.

Last Seen
    18th September 2017 02:55 PM
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Buck View Post
    I used to hear some superstitions being said by my grandma when I was still a kid, I remember whenever I ask her about them, she would just tell me to believe since you won't lose anything if you believe in stuff like that. There is this superstition in our place that you must not sweep the floor at night since you would be throwing away blessing that are about to come. I just thought "Since when did dirt become a blessing?".
    That's funny. I never heard that one before, but I did hear one about brooms. I was told never to bring your old broom with you when you move to a new place, or else you will bring bad luck with you. Since I'm really not superstitious, I didn't give it much thought. As we were moving though, my mother in law grabbed the broom and broke it in half, so I wouldn't bring it, ha ha. Too bad it didn't help. The year following that move was one of our worst. Next time, I'm bringing the broom!

Last Seen
    15th June 2017 02:46 PM
    Wong
    Well, I believe in some superstitions and some I do or observe because it doesn't hurt doing them, so yes, I am superstitious but not too much, I guess.

One superstition I believe is that good or bad luck comes in threes because it often happens to me (yes, really). So whenever I get so unlucky or experience something bad and I remember the rule of three, I check and count the notable "bad" experiences that day and the previous day, then I look forward to my next "lucky" experiences because they usually go one after the other.

Another one is about entities. There is this superstition in my country that if you go to a place (with lots of trees, plants, or grass) where people don't usual pass, you should say a certain phrase (roughly translates as "Excuse me" or asking permission to pass) while you walk. I believe in the existence of other entities, so I do that whenever the need arises.

On the other hand, stuff like "you'll go blind if you sleep while your hair is still wet" is something I don't observe.

Last Seen
    23rd June 2017 03:37 AM
    Wong
    I believe in karma. Even though some people don't think it a superstition, it is because it's not proven. I believe that if you do wrong, there will always be a punishment either here or in the afterlife. All your bad deeds follow you. If you do bad, people will hate you which causes you to be in danger. In the afterlife, if you believe in it, I'm pretty sure whoever was evil, will get what they deserve. In the end, I've known that many evil people were unhappy.

Last Seen
    3rd July 2017 08:18 AM
    Wong
    I was raised by my grandparents, so unfortunately I took on a lot of their superstitions and beliefs. I don't blame them, though because they couldn't teach me or give me what they never had and so they did the very best they could for me with what they knew and had. I'm just really grateful that in all of that I managed to develop an open mind and I started questioning some of the beliefs and superstitions as I grew older and now I know how to shake those beliefs and change them if they don't empower me. I choose my own beliefs now and I can honestly say I am no longer superstitious at all.