Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 02:18 PM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    I remember watching that show a few years back. It was OK. I was kind of thinking that, given the subject matter, that I was in for a John Woo style bullet fest which and it turned out much slower paced than I was anticipated. Normally, that's not a bad thing but there wasn't really anything in terms of story or characters that really made a lasting impression on me. There was an OVA for it that was released back in the 90s. From what I've seen on youtube, it looks pretty cool. Might have to track it down one of these days. Would be curious to try out the visual novel it was based on too.

I've been watching the 2005 adaption of The Guyver. I first watched it back in 2005 but never got around to finishing it so I figured I'd fix this problem this time. It's decent but I like the original early 90s OVA better. The new one kind of feels like it's pulling it's punches with it brutality and the characters design is OK thought they made the lead character look like a stereotypical shounen-lead. Regardless, it does some cool things. There are certain characters in this that's explored a bit more compared to the original and it does go into stories not present in the original either.

Last Seen
    30th October 2017 08:56 AM
    Wong
    I am currently watching Shokugeki no Soma Season 3. Well, I am waiting for Kuga to lose to Soma. Especially, since he is such an arrogant duck. I don't think Soma will lose here. The win is already foreshadowed.

Last Seen
    Today 05:37 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    OOps. Wrong place. But I will say I'm watching a few of the new anime this season. Evil or Live is interesting, King's Game is a jumbled mess, and I much prefer the classmates in the flashbacks than his current ones, that's for damn sure.

https://www.twitch.tv/hippieharris<--My friend's Twitch channel (I'm usually there with other friends)

Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    King's Game is...overly gory for sake of being gory. The story is boring, the characters are boring, and the gory is just plain silly. I'll finish it, just because I've already watched half of it, but I'm not a huge fan.
    Black Clover is a really boring run of the mill Shoenen. Every cliche in the shoenen book is used, and not all that well.
    Evil or Live...hot fuck this show took a shot to left field quick. Just...wow.

As for good anime I'm watching, I started Ace of the Diamond recently since Haikyu and Yowamushi Pedal are in between seasons, and it's pretty decent. Not great, but enjoyable enough.
    I also started Servamp, and while it's an ok shonen, the characters are all pretty interesting, and it's really funny at times. I like it.

https://www.twitch.tv/hippieharris<--My friend's Twitch channel (I'm usually there with other friends)

Last Seen
    Today 05:15 AM
    Wong
    Currently just keeping up with DBS right now. I haven't had much time to watch anything. Been busy getting things ready for the holidays and have other shows I already watch every fall. I will likely get into another anime after Christmas.

Last Seen
    Today 02:18 PM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    So there is a couple of shows that I'm watching.

First up is Darling in The FranXX. I got interested in it because Studio Trigger is behind this show and most of the stuff I've seen from them (Particularly Kill la Kill and Inferno Cop were golden). I'm digging this show so far. It's certainly more straight faced than the other shows they've done. The art work is and coloring is gorgeous, which is expected of them. Only 3 episodes have been released but I'm looking forward to see what's next. it's theme song is certainly a great listen too.

Another show I've been watching is Record of Grancrest War. This one got my attention since it was from the creator of Record of Lodoss War, a show that I watched a long, long time ago and liked (Which I should rewatch. Damn it, I have too much shit to watch!) so I figured I'd give this a look. It's pretty good. There's a lot of political negotiations between factions in the show which might turn some folks off but I don't mind it. My problem is not a lot of the characters are that interesting, mainly the lead character. I found him generic and boring. There's a character named Lassic David who is a lot more badass and fun to watch (Who I swear sounds like the same voice actor who voiced Dio in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure). The battles are a lot more brutal than I expected. Granted, it's not on the level of some of the stuff you'd see from anime from the late 80s/early 90s but it feels more violent than some of the anime I've seen lately. We have guys getting stabbed in the eye, blood flowing freely, some poor soul getting boiling liquid poured on him, ect. It's not anime of the year material, but if you like fantasy or sword and sorcery based anime, you might dig this.

Finally, I'm watching The Ancient Magus Bride. This is a really good show from it's easy going pace, it's whimsical atmosphere and the relationship between the two leads make it very compelling to watch. I wont lie, it hit me in the feels at times, especially with the episode involving the island that is home to dragons. Really solid stuff all around.

7. Informative Mantis thinks that this is informative
    Last Seen
    Today 03:11 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I might give that show (Darling in the FranXX) a try as I did watch Kill la Kill. Saying that though, while I enjoyed it I found its plot a bit lacking and the show generally full of clichés I see very regularly nowadays. Overall it was good.

I should probably prepare a bunch of anime to watch when I'm away from home in March. I haven't watched that much anime at all in the past couple of years. This month I finished my rewatching of Monster. Despite being long, it's such a good anime I enjoyed it throughout. I usually place it second in my top anime list. Very much a seinen, mostly drama with a bit of action. If anybody tries to compare all anime to children's fiction you just need to show them this as it could literally be a TV series as a direct adaptation and little changed. (Which is probably why it was going to happen, but sadly nothing has come from that so far.)

Nearly a year ago I was rewatching Escaflowne. I'm not sure why but I was interrupted and never finished it, which I regretted as I enjoyed the show in the past, so I've been rewatching it again. It's a real '90s classic, and now I'm on the final episode.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Yowamushi Pedal's new season has started, so I'm keeping up with that, and it's still a fun, nice sport anime.
    I also started How to Keep a Mummy, which is one of the most adorable anime I've ever seen. If you feel down, and need a happy pick me up, this ought to do the trick.

Last Seen
    Today 02:13 PM
    Wong
    Just finished watching Yuyushiki. Another totally underwhelming show, usually I like watching slice-of-life anime about high school girls (i.e Azumanga Daioh, one of my all time favourites) but here I was bored out of my skull for pretty much every episode. Even watching it at thrice the speed was just as tedious. The main characters were just a wet-blanket surrounded by two airheads, and the jokes are as repetitive and stale as you'd expect based on just that. It reminds me of Lucky Star, but not quite as agonizingly boring (I couldn't even finish the first episode of that show). I certainly wouldn't rank up there with AzuDai though.