ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    30th July 2017 10:49 PM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong

What do you think of the manga?

I think it would be fair to say that most of us here on OSN discovered Outlaw Star through its animated adaption, rather than the manga it was based on itself. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of Outlaws haven't actually read it, perhaps they are aware of it but haven't taken the time to seek it out. And even if you did, there are only a handful of chapters translated into English at the moment, so at best you are only getting a small slice of the story. That said, to those of you who have read any part of the manga: What do you think of it?

As for me... I love Ito's artwork. As with most 'manga to anime', I would put the manga over the anime on that front in general, but I'm sure this is a matter of personal taste. The art feels dynamic and lively in a way that is difficult to capture in motion, if there was ever an 'Outlaw Star: Brotherhood' situation, I think a style similar to FLCL or maybe even Redline would be a good choice.

Art aside, I don't find the story itself as captivating as the anime. While more 'adult' in content (there are some pretty explicit sex scenes, with major characters as well) the tone in general seems very different. The anime was often comical, but the manga doesn't seem to have any sense of tension whatsoever, it feels like a pulp manga more than anything. I don't imagine the manga inspired kids to follow their dreams in the same way as the anime, but this is only based off of the first couple of volumes. That's enough rambling from me, what do you think?

2. Like Sparkysaurus, AsherTheWilliams liked this post
    Last Seen
    7th December 2017 03:44 AM
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    I own the original three volume Japanese manga and I do like Ito's art style. The more adult themed surprised me being like most of us watching the anime first. I wouldn't mind if they did a "Brotherhood" or "Ultimate" rendition of OLS, but being unfinished hurts it and too sort. If I remembered right that manga to anime adaptions you get two episodes per manga volume.

I don't know if Mantis still has the interview video of Ito on FB still, but in said interview he stated that the reason that OLS to so different to the manga is that he felt that Sunrise did a pretty good job adapting Ryu Knights and let them handle OLS more or less without him being there. He also stated he liked the addition of the MacDougall Brothers (yes, they are anime only characters) and if I remember right that he had nothing to do with the Angel Links anime.
    We are all insane, we just act normal for the sake of others.

Last Seen
    Today 04:25 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I think your comparison with Fullmetal Alchemist is spot on here, especially given...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord-Idolo View Post
    I don't know if Mantis still has the interview video of Ito on FB still, but in said interview he stated that the reason that OLS to so different to the manga is that he felt that Sunrise did a pretty good job adapting Ryu Knights and let them handle OLS more or less without him being there. He also stated he liked the addition of the MacDougall Brothers (yes, they are anime only characters) and if I remember right that he had nothing to do with the Angel Links anime.
    I sometimes think of the anime and manga as two separate entities. And with regard to that interview, yes, I still have it somewhere amongst my other Outlaw Star files. Regrettably though, I didn't watch it entirely. That brings me to Takehiko Ito himself. I wonder how he feels about the anime receiving the vast majority of attention. Perhaps I made a mistake when I contacted him (which he read, but didn't reply to) by not focusing on his original creation.

I don't know enough about the manga to give a fair opinion about this. I'm in the process of translating the manga but I've decided to avoid spoiling it for myself while doing so. Having said that, I'm familiar with the overall style of it. People must keep in mind what an adaptation is. The Fullmetal Alchemist anime is an adaptation, but that didn't stop weeaboos from bitching about it just because it doesn't strictly follow the original narrative. I'm one of the odd ones who prefer the original anime to Brotherhood. On the other hand, the Monster anime seems to be a near-exact copy of the manga, down to the visual representation. By definition that isn't an adaptation. (Though I don't know what the right word would be.)

As we all know there are major plot changes in the Outlaw Star anime. Perhaps the most well-known one is Hilda not dying at Farfallus and being present in all three volumes. It also seems that Melfina isn't so timid and takes a strong interest in Gene. Though I haven't read much of it yet I think I'll enjoy it on its own merits. But indeed, if it wasn't for the humour and its strong messages of passion and desire, I doubt Outlaw Star would have made a large impact on me. Sunrise handled it superbly.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

5. Like Sparkysaurus liked this post
    Last Seen
    12th December 2017 06:24 PM
    Wong
    If we are strictly talking about the Outlaw Star Anime/Manga, I prefer the Anime.

One, Takehiko Ito didn't finished the manga and I HATE unfinished projects! I own the three Mangas as well and I can't read Japanese but my guess is that there was supposed to be much more here and it never flourished.

Two, I agree with Hari on the idea of how the manga get like a pulp manga and not a lot of sustenance. Where as the show had life and worlds and a literal universe just full of possibilities (unfortunately Angel Links was one of them)

And three, I feel that if it was finished it seems that it might have gone in a good direction but who knows if the anime would ever had been created if he didn't want it to be adapted to the anime and focused only on the manga. Outlaw Star got known mainly for being on Toonami on Cartoon Network back in the day. Outlaw Star might have never been as known in the west as it is now if he never let it go in the first place.
    "We All Make Choices. But In The End, Our Choices Make Us."
    -Andrew Ryan

7. Agree Mantis agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    14th December 2017 01:45 AM
    Personality
    hoticehilda
    Wong
    It's interesting, it really does seem that these anime producers latch on to manga projects early on and just cherry-pick elements or concepts for the anime adaptation.

'Cause Mantis is right, they really are two hopelessly separate entities in terms of story, tone, humor, and vision.
    I love the earnest grandiose-ness that the anime throws alongside the singular "golden-fleece" narrative of the OLS and it's crew.

I can't wait to read the full translation when it's ready, but I think I'll always prefer the show.

That said, I do really like Aisha's designs in the manga over the anime...
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear fate." - Narrator

This was a good idea Mantis.

Last Seen
    5th December 2017 11:42 AM
    Wong
    I've only read the first few translated chapters a while ago. All I remember was there being a hell of a lot more graphic sex and nudity than in the TV series, and Gene was slightly more of a prick.

I found the full raw series and have been considering translating the rest myself, just haven't found the time to do so yet.

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Since I'm already translating it I think it would be wasteful to produce separate translations. I'm not sure if you know Japanese, but I'm translating it using the European manga and it's turning out pretty well. I've added you to the private forum where I post the draft pages if you'd like to read what I've done (you'll see it on the index), and if you'd like to assist me in the translation that would be a great help. I acquired all of the extra chapters but since they're only Japanese I was considering hiring a Japanese translator to help me out with those when I'm near that point.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"

Anime and Steam info

Last Seen
    5th December 2017 11:42 AM
    Wong
    I was going to use a Japanese to English dictionary, but I'm glad someone else is willing to do it

And thanks for the invite. If you want I could PM you the raws I found anyway.

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I actually found the raws on some Japanese P2P network a year back. They work well for the drafts. The only problem is that there are some JPEG artefacts and they're only 800x1182 which is a bit lower than I wanted. Thanks for the offer though!

Anime and Steam info