Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 08:28 AM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Wow, I like the pictures! I'm glad you figured out a way to enjoy the evening on your own.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    Today 05:50 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Thanks for the kind words, Mantis! Yeah, those pics turned out rather nicely. I certainly want to go back to the trail. Want to experience it some more before winter comes since summer is almost over...July is just about done. Holy damn, where does the time go? Fall is coming up pretty soon. I actually look forward to Fall. I like the autumn weather since it gives me a strangely comfy feeling. Since this is Minnesota we're talking about, however, fall wont last for long and then it's back to snow and sub zero temperatures. Oh, and icy sidewalks!

Lightfreed:

That I'm all for...well, maybe not Sunday. I make it a point to not drink when I know I have work in the morning. Who knows? Maybe our next session I might bust out the hard cider.

3. Like Lightfreed liked this post
    Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    So Saturday night was pretty fun. I decided to have a good few friends of mine come over. I bought mead for the occasion. Why you ask? Well a manly get together needs a manly beverage. This is something we do regularly. One friend showed up on time but the other one didn't show up until 6:30 when he should've been there like an hour before. So to kill time before he arrived we shot the shit about various subjects and then watched Space Patrol Luluco, a nice little show from Studio Trigger. It's not as good as their other shows like Inferno Cop or Kill la Kill but it's an entertaining romp all the same. My other friend finally arrived to which we would normally watch another anime but he insisted on Ash vs. Evil Dead and...well, being the Army of Darkness fan that I am, how could I resist? We were only able to get through 2 episodes but I had a lot of fun with that show. It's fun to see Bruce Campbell back in the saddle even if he is an old geezer. He can still pull off Ash and that's what matters. After we wrapped that up and after my friend wanted to show my other friend a...rather naughty anime game, we headed up for a night of adventure and booze.

Our first stop was at an old cider house. There was supposed to be a pig roast going on but it looks like there were no longer serving at that point. We still decided to stop by for a drink. It was early evening that time and we got to sit outside the patio and just took in the evening and the view of the lake. I wish I had some pics taken. We also saw quite a number of horses. Where I live, one the attractions is to ride around in a carriage around a small part of the area. I think 3 passed by. Coincidentally, a few cops came by on horseback too. I personally think that it's a bit a waste of tax payer money for the police to have their own horse unit but what can I say?

We were feeling hungry so we stopped by at a nearby restaurant. As we sat down, it hit me that this was the same place that a friend that I knew since kindergarten worked there as one of the head chefs. I asked one of the waiters if he was working tonight and he was unsure. I decided that he probably wasn't working...lo and behold, he came out to speak with me! Granted, he couldn't talk for long since he was still on duty but we were able to chat for a brief period and even traded numbers so we can stay in touch. He usually goes on hiking trips and said I'm welcome to come along so I hope to do that with him before the end of the summer.

Beyond that, we went to a few other bars, bonded, got a light snack at a bar where we lamented that the movie their were showing is some crappy comedy and not Terminator 2 like they showed the last time. A fun evening all around. I love these get togethers. After a hard weeks work, it's awesome to get together for some good ol' fashion male bonding.

Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    It's been awhile since I posted in this thread. With it being Christmas, I thought I might talk about it just a little bit.

It wasn't exactly an eventful time, but it was nice to be with the family. On Christmas Eve, I just came up to hang out and have pizza and had spent time with the family and then on Christmas morning, we had pancakes and opened presents. I didn't get a whole lot of gifts but the ones I got were pretty cool. I got myself an air fryer which I haven't used yet but holy crap is it huge. I have to let it sit on my counter since none of my cubbards are big enough for it to fit. I also got a comic called Army of Darkness: Ash Saves Obama (Yes, that's a real comic) and I got the Book "Ready Player One". Haven't read it yet but I've been hearing nothing but good things about it. My brother came up with his new child I.E. my new niece. She was born just a few weeks ago and I was able to hold her for a brief moment. She is a fine baby and I'm just hope that I'm up to the task to be a good uncle to her. Then, we went to my mother's side of the family for dinner. This was the least exciting thing for me since I never had much a connection with them so I was mostly bored. Not that I have a problem with them or think they are bad people but I just never was particularly close to them compared to my immediate family so I just had to hear them talk to my mom about various subjects including someone close to them getting injured and needs her leg amputated and how my Mom's new dog got injured because he thought it was a good idea to pick a fight with a deer. Why they felt this was good Christmas conversation, I don't know but there it is. Still, it was a nice laid back Christmas with the family, as it typically is, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

New Year's was boring. I was originally going out with a few friends of mine but one of my friends chickened out because it was cold outside. I walk to work in that weather on a regular basis so he has no excuse in being such a sissy but I digress. So I pretty much just relaxed. I took advantage of a Steam sale and got Vikings: Wolves of Midgard, a Diablo-ish game with...while, I think you can guess from the title what the subject matter is. It's actually a pretty good game so far. Perhaps not the best Diablo clone but it was good for the price that I purchased. Now that it's January, I can finally request my time off to head off to an anime con in April. That's one of the big things that I'm looking forward to this year.

6. Like Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Nice update. Most people probably don't have very eventful Christmases. At least you're honest about that. I've only learned about an air fryer by name, no idea what they are exactly. It sounds like you're happy enough with it though. One would assume they're a healthier version of a deep fryer? (I really want a deep fryer though, lol.)

Ah, Army of Darkness! It's one of those films that's been on my watch list for hell knows how long that I'm honestly not sure how I haven't watched yet. I guess our next film is decided? The comic sounds amusing.

I keep seeing Ready Player One on my Amazon devices, of course my Kindle most of all. Let me know if it's actually any good.

Is this niece your first niece? Yeah, I know the feeling as an uncle of four and I'm gonna keep one of my nephews and my niece occupied with some video games today. I'm sure you'll be a great uncle to her. It's brilliant being an uncle. It's like being a father without all the extra baggage of responsibilities.

I understand what you're saying about the relatives. That does sound a bit morbid for Christmas. Which state do you live in? It's chilly here but people still go out! Can't be that bad, can it? Kinda sucks when one person screws up a whole event.

Diablo-ish, eh? (Not played it.) Glad you had fun anyhow. Which con are you going to?
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"

Anime and Steam info

8. Agree Starwind55 agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Basically, yeah. It's a big ol'd thing that circulates hot air to cook your food. It's more meant for snack type stuff like french fries, onion rings, mozzarella sticks, ect. though according to the manual, you can cook whole chickens and burgers in it too if you wanted. Because it doesn't use oil, it makes the food slightly more healthy. Still haven't tried it yet, but I plan on going grocery shopping next pay day to which I intend to get maybe some fries or onion rings or whatever to try it out.

I forgot that you haven't seen Army of Darkness yet. Our next movie night is decided indeed! Actually, we should make it a double feature alongside Evil Dead 2. I figured we skip the first one since it's a straight up horror movie with none of the humor of the other two. The first 10 minutes or so of Evil Dead 2 is basically a kind of, sort of recap of the first movie anyway so you wont be lost. The comic is a lot of fun though, sadly, Obama doesn't factor as much in the story as the title would lead you to believe but it's still an entertaining read all the same.

True about responsibilities for the niece. I'm not the one raising her after all! My brother lives 3 hours away from me and he only comes up a few times a year, maybe a little bit more. Still, I'm thinking of how to leave a positive impact on her. I was thinking about writing some stories for her when she gets old enough to read. Figured that would be a fun thing for her and make her look forward to ol' Uncle Starwind!

I live in Minnesota which gets really damn cold. At the time of writing it's 4 degrees (Or -16 Celsius). My friends are going to be joining up this weekend to make up for last weekend so that will be fun at least.

The con I'm going to is called Anime Detour (https://www.animedetour.com/), which is held in Minneapolis. It's been an annual thing with me and my buddies as we go down for the weekend that consists of guns, booze and anime (Not at the same time mind you ). We go to a shooting range on the way down usually and then head for the cities for our weekend fun. I should have enough money by next payday to cover the cost of the hotel and then after that it's to put aside some more money for the next few months to cover things like food and shit for the dealer's room. It's going to be a long few months.

Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Hello again folks! If I've been quiet of the boards for the past few days, it's because I was down at an anime convention with a few good friends of mine. It was a great time being that went by way too quickly for my taste. Why is that things like work drag but having fun goes by in a new york minute?! I digress however and I have a lot of pics that might interest you.

So before the convention, we were at an aquarium. It was a really cool experience checking out the fish and there was even an underwater tunnel that you can go under where you can see sharks swimming over you! Alas, my phone was being a piece of shit at that time so I was unable to get any pics of the sharks. My phone was working enough where I got some pics of some of the stingrays and some fishes. Sorry for the pics being blurry (Another reason why I need to get a new damn phone)

Name:  IMG_20180405_174440.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  754.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20180405_174613.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  1,010.3 KB

After a quick supper, we headed back to the hotel room to which the drinks were busted out (Including sake, among other drinks) and we started off with New Dominion Tank Police but then we became scatterbrained and just moved on to watching a bunch of funny vids on my friend's computer one of which being quite possibly one of the funniest youtube videos I have seen in a long time.

Oh yeah, and we all took a selfie because why the fuck not? (This was taken from my friend's camera, hence the better quality)

Name:  30414904_10215925789885741_1565856818838634496_o.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  198.5 KB

Fast forward to the morning and after downing a stack of $20 pancakes, it was off to the con. There wasn't too many interesting panels during the day but there was a panel dedicated to 90s anime fandom where the one of the guys doing the panel kind of made fun of my friend. They were talking about this crazy anime where you have to power mechs by fondling women (I wish I can remember the name but I forget at this point) my friend out loud said, "Oh, I've seen that!" and the panelists response was a sly "Of course you have.". We headed off to the dealer's room sometime after that. This caught my eye.

Name:  IMG_20180407_122823.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  1.16 MB

You would not believe how tempted I was in buying this. The Guyver doesn't get enough love these days and I would've loved to hang this on my wall. However, I didn't have much money for dealer room stuff so I had to decide against it. There was a really cool figma Roger Smith (from The Big O) that looked really cool but I had to decline that as well. I only ended up buying a couple of things from the dealer's room. First up was the OVA for Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. I wasn't really a fan of the TV series but the footage of the OVA that I've seen online looked more action packed so I figured I'd pick it up since it's worth a watch. I also got a few doujins from Joji Manabe since I don't recall seeing these particular ones online.

My friend had a panel dedicated to hentai games. It got a huge response as the panel room was packed. I wasn't even able to get in and had to watch from the doorway! It was fun to see him play them and everyone was having a lot of fun. In a divisive world, it's always good to see that hentai can make us put aside our differences and come together.

There was a game room that had some classic arcade games. You ever seen a dinosaur play an arcade game? No? Here, let me fix that for you!

Name:  IMG_20180407_211407.jpg
Size:  747.8 KB

Speaking of people in funny costumes, it was cosplay galore at the con and managed to snag a few pics. This first one greatly impressed me.

Name:  IMG_20180407_102801.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  945.8 KB

Not the biggest Gundam fan but I appreciate the craft and dedication in getting this built.

Next up I believe is supposed to be Elias from one of the later episodes of The Ancient Magus Bride (Still need to finish that series) I just wanted to take a pic since he looked metal as fuck.

Name:  IMG_20180406_150948.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  1.02 MB

There was a really nice one of Geralt from The Witcher.

Name:  IMG_20180406_202919.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  897.5 KB

Here is one you don't see very often at these conventions...Jay and Silent Bob!

Name:  IMG_20180407_164009.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  1.06 MB

Found the wizards from Magika

Name:  IMG_20180407_140440.jpg
Size:  926.8 KB

Our good sun praiser, Solaire of Astora

Name:  IMG_20180407_210848.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  857.2 KB

A particularly cool one of Megumin from Konosuba

Name:  IMG_20180406_235635.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  896.3 KB

Saitama from One Punch Man

Name:  IMG_20180406_210928.jpg
Size:  898.0 KB

And then there is...well, take one friggin guess.

Name:  IMG_20180406_185108.jpg
Size:  1.01 MB

I have more but this would go on forever. Anywho, it's back to normal, everyday life. Hope you like the pics!

11. Like Mantis, OutlawBard19 liked this post
    You're Winner! Mantis thought that this post's writer are winner!
    Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Damn Starwind, these are some great photos. It makes me a bit jealous of those who live close to these events. Digging the aquarium photos as I love aquariums, perhaps more so than zoos. I think I saw a photo of you before, so I'm going to guess that you're in the middle of the selfie. It's a shame you couldn't get the Guyver poster since we discussed it on Steam. How much did it cost? I bet they really overprice things at cons. (What a con!)

So you weren't a huge fan of Phantom either? I thought it was great at the start but they started fucking it up after the first arc. Some nice cosplay there, especially the Gundam one. I hope you promoted OSN to Gene! At any rate, I'm glad there was some Outlaw Star cosplay there at all.

Anime and Steam info

Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Wait, I was supposed to recruit him to the boards? Uh....ooops. I don't recall getting that memo from you. ;p Actually, I did notice that some Outlaw Star cosplayers pop up at these cons every now and then. I remember a few years back, there was a really good Melfina cosplayer roaming around but I never got the chance to take a pic of her sadly. I think a year or two ago there was a group cosplaying as Gene, Aisha and Suzuka and managed to get a pic. I think I still have that on my phone. I'd check but I'm too lazy right now so I'll go through my phone later to see if I can find it.

That aquarium was awesome. It's funny because that place is inside the Mall of America. My parents would take me there all the time as a kid but they never took me to the aquarium. It was my first time down there. They had this really cool room that was dark and jellyfish with various colored lights in the tanks. They just looked so elegant and cool. I so wanted to snag a pic but this was around the time that my phone died.

For the selfie, well you got me dead to rights! I realized that me and my friends never took a photo of ourselves for the occasion so I thought it'd be cool to do.

The poster was like $42 if my memory serves me right. I suppose for a rare poster like that, it's not too bad of a price but it was beyond what I could afford. Besides, I don't think I'd have room for it in my apartment anyway. You're not wrong about the dealer's room jacking up the prices. Some of the older stuff I can understand but when it comes to things like newer DVDs and blu-rays, it's crazy. I saw the blu-ray set for Outlaw Star for like 110 bucks which was far more than the one I paid for! The cool thing about the dealer's room is sometimes you can find some older, rarer stuff. I saw one dealer selling old-school Golgo 13 figures and even some Lupin the 3rd figures. I'm kicking myself for not saving up more dough for it but it's kind of tough to do when the con is held downtown and most restaurants are a pretty penny.

For Phantom, I just remember the show being kind of a drag and most of the characters were kind of flat. Then again, I remember walking into that show thinking it was going to be a guns-blazing actions series so maybe I just went into it with the wrong expectations? Maybe after watching the OVA, I'll give the show another watch to compare.