• Weekend Get-Together

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 03:24 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    It's not a bad idea. We could get the folks together to do steam chat. I have nothing going on this weekend so we can do something on either of those days. Hell, we can dedicate to both those nights back to back if the other folks feel like it.

2. Agree Denim agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    5th July 2018 08:42 AM
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    Hey everybody,

I've already joined the steam group but I wanted to put my steam profile here just in case.

My timezone is GMT+1:00. I'm up for any time tomorrow and there shouldn't be any problems on Saturday either.

As for games I think 100% Orange Juice seems fun (I haven't played it, just from the looks of it), as far as Doom and Halo go, I've played very little of those games (I know I should get on it ).

I don't know what worked out for you last time, but for voice communication I'd highly suggest Discord.

Although I am a big fan of self-hosting everything, I can really recommend Discord for its ease of use and functionality. You can create a "server" (they are hosted by discord on their machines which is why it's completely free) with voice and text channels and you can do a lot of customization. I use it all the time with my friends. I'm against Skype in particular because it uses p2p connection, so one person's Internet connection quality affects everybody else's experience. I've also found it to cause much less lag in games than Skype did for me. I've never used Steam for voice chat.

I'm looking forward to gaming with you all tomorrow!
    My Starship

4. Like Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 10:25 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Hey, nice to see you here, Denim. I'll be sure to add you to my Steam friends. We just need to hear from pseudohippie now, then. I sent him a Steam message. And from what I can see, Starwind55 already owns 100% Orange Juice. So I guess it just depends on whether pseudohippie is interested in 100% OJ. Remember that it's cheaper than most coffees on G2A. I'm down for whatever else, but as a warning, OJ is pretty damn addictive and a great party game.

We did have a Discord going. I decided to discontinue it in the hope that there'd be a better alternative since I also prefer to self-host whatever I can. I haven't really found anything, so chances are we'll be back on Discord. I just have a couple of questions, Denim. (I only have limited experience with it.) How does voice chat work? It sounds awfully awkward to have to Alt+Tab out of the game (as opposed to Steam's overlay) if I had to mute it, so I'd prefer some kind of "push to talk" thing. Hopefully I'll figure that out, but in the case of text chat I think Steam wins. (If playing a Steam game, that is.) Unless you're running the game windowed you wouldn't easily be able to access the chat, right? With Steam's overlay on the other hand you just need to use Shift+Tab.

After searching it seems a lot of people think Steam is better than Discord performance-wise. I'd need more opinions.

Also, regarding self-hosting, it's what I always do on video nights and it works very well. (Usually.) I have my own server.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    Well actually Discord has features to answer all your problems. First of all, you can run it as in-game overlay, but as for me, I've never found myself using it since I'm perfectly comfortable with Alt-Tabbing every now and then. And there of course is a push-to-talk option, so if you dont't like the overlay, you can always use that.

And just to clarify, we're starting at 9 p.m. GMT right?
    My Starship

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    That depends when/if pseudohippie lets us know what's happening in the next several hours. My original plan was that I'd be available from 10PM GMT. For our friends across the pond later is better since today's still a weekday. Starwind's US central if I remember correctly, so 10PM GMT would be 4PM, right?

As for the event, I've been really busy with art book scans, especially since I had to spend a couple of hours getting the Aisha garage kit yesterday and getting some books. So I haven't had the time to prepare Halo and Doom zip files. Since I've still gotta work on scans today, we can play Halo another night. If Starwind can prepare Doom we can play that, and/or we can play 100% Orange Juice. (Be sure to get it from G2A.)

On a side note, right now it's GMT here, but as we approach the summer we switch to British Summer Time which puts us in the same time zone as you.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"

Anime and Steam info

8. Agree Denim agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    I've just bought 100% OJ.

Approaching summer in Poland we switch to GMT+2
    My Starship

10. Informative Mantis thinks that this is informative
    Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Yup, I'm US central time. I'm down with 100% OJ but if you folks would rather play Doom, I could see what I can do about firing up a server. Any word on pseudo?

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Nope, no word. Unfortunately no gaming happened last night. I ended up feeling really sick. Got over ten hours of sleep. So I guess tonight it is then!

Anime and Steam info

Last Seen
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    I hope you're feeling better. Sleep always works wonders. See you tonight!
    My Starship

14. Like Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    So I think we should plan our next get together. I wont be able to do this Saturday since I'll be hanging out with a few good friends of mine but I would not be opposed to doing something this Saturday. I don't know what everyone's Christmas schedule is like so I was thinking that, depending on availability, we could get together on the 23rd or we can even do a new year's eve get together. Anywho, let me know what you guys think.