Thread: Necros

ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    4th December 2017 06:41 AM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong

Necros

I feel like it is time I introduced you guys to Kres. You bet you'll love him. I hope you will enjoy the story, but not too much, lol. I would also appreciate some feedback. I will be running the story chapter after chapter periodically when I can.

1. Stranded

Kres ran through the dark endless forest thinking about the night. The images flashed through his young mind. The horrid scenes of his parents lying dead were a little too much to bear. He stopped running and climbed a tree. He sat on a feeble branch, in his hand his only possession, a gift from his late father, a jet black sword. It wasn’t just any sword. To him it was a precious momento.
    It was worth the whole of Mount Necros, the highest mountain in Soki. It was said to have been passed down a hundred generations of warriors. As he held it close to his heart, he felt his father’s soul. Then he remembered. The enemy came in quietly, too quietly. They were Ninja. Kres had only heard rumours about them but they were now as real as could be. They entered through his bedroom window but his father got to him first. Though greatly outnumbered he was able to beat them all. That was until another came. He murdered Kres’ mom. Father and son dashed over to her just in time to listen to her last words.
    Blinded by anger, Kres charged at the Ninja warrior to get his revenge. Everything happened so fast. His father stepped in front of him to take the blow and only the sword tip nicked Kres’ left cheek. A tiny droplet of blood landed on his father’s sword and seeped into it. Both his father and the assassin looked at it in disbelief. His father said with a smile, ‘’The sword only answers to you.’’ With this his body gave away and he fell to the ground dead.
    This puzzled him greatly but the ninja simply said, ‘’Our paths will cross again boy.’’ He then walked out and set the house ablaze. Amidst tears of anguish, Kres smelt a pout of smoke. He told his parents’ lifeless bodies’ goodbye and jumped out of the house through the window. Once he was outside he looked for a quiet spot nearby and watched the inferno scorch his house to ashes.
    Since he had nowhere to go, he ran towards a nearby forest and never looked back, simply forgetting his sword. As he ran on and on, he heard a sound; sort of a whizzing sensation. Someone was following him; someone very fast. He increased his pace and silently wishing that it was not another Ninja in pursuit and somehow his prayer was answered. When he turned after an impressively long distance, his sword lay on the mossy forest floor.

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    2. BAD START

The next morning he woke up and the sun had risen. The sword was still intact on the branch he had leaned it against. He thought of selling it but then he remembered his father’s words. It was of too much sentimental value to him. He gripped it tightly and swung down from the tree he was perched. Using the navigation key his father had given him when he was still a little boy, he started towards the nearest town, Mauri.
    It took him ages to get there but seeing signs of civilization was a welcome respite. Busy buyers and sellers went about their business, pedestrians walked hurriedly across the pavements as vehicles sped by. The loud rumble of his stomach reminded him he had no money and yearned for a heavy meal. He walked up and down begging for some gne (Soki Currency) but all ignored him. He had lost all hope and was sure he would die when a sharp cry broke the ice.
    Shouts of “Thief, thief. Catch that thief!” flooded the air. Everyone stopped what they were doing to watch someone running and shouting after a figure with a scarf on the head. Kres decided to run after the thief too. He was not sure why he should but decided to anyway. The figure ran all around trying to lose Kres seeing that the shouting man had given up the chase and was now hurling all sorts of curses. Kres cornered the thief and drew his sword. He threatened to stab someone if the scarf did not come of in the next few seconds.
    The thief obliged and the scarf was removed to reveal a girl about his age. “Holding up a sword at a girl, not much of a gent huh?” She said chuckling lightly. Kres carefully studied her face as her lips tipped generously upwards. His cheeks turned red when he realised she was teasing him. He lowered the weapon and watched her left cheek curving to form a dimple when she smiled. She seemed to smile with her eyes too, and this made Kres melt on the inside.
    Her beauty reminded him of his mother, Maki Mashima and the resemblance was indeed undeniable. As he pondered over this, the previous night’s gruelling scenes flooded his thoughts and he was unable to hold back a tear. The girl’s smile turned into a look of sympathy.
    ‘’What’s wrong?” She asked. “Nothing,” he lied. His stomach let out a loud grumble as if to begrudge him. “You’re hungry aren’t you?” She asked smiling. “No!” He lied again, trying to hold back a second tear. “Just follow me,” she said firmly. She held the blade of his coal-black sword and said, “You won’t be needing this now.’’
    They moved up and down the street and finally exited the forest. “What is your name?” Kres finally mastered the courage to ask. “It’s Murasaki,” she said without looking back.

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    3. FIRST STEP

They walked past houses and turned to enter a forest.
    Murasaki: We have to walk quietly around here.
    Kres: Why?
    Murasaki: Shhh! be careful where you …
    It was too late. Kres had already stepped on a dry twig and that seemed to awaken the forest.
    Kres felt a whizzing sensation approaching and by instinct ducked. A second arrow came his way but this time he drew his sword and cut it in half at the tip. He then retreated behind a tree wondering what to do next. He noticed someone behind a tree in front of his. He crept there to find Murasaki seeking cover too.
    Kres: What did I do to get shot at?
    Murasaki: They aren’t aiming at you. It’s me they want.
    Kres: Why?
    Murasaki: Let’s take them out first, and then we’ll discuss this.
    Murasaki hurried off after saying that as she knew Kres would not be satisfied with her answer. “Them? I thought it was he,” Kres complained, trailing after her.
    With that, it was time to teach these ‘’them’s’’ a lesson they would never forget. By the time Kres was done composing himself, only one was standing.
    Murasaki: Let’s see who’ll take him out first. If you win, I’ll tell you what you want to know and if I win I get to keep my secrets.
    Kres: Agreed.
    They counted to three and shot from both sides of the tree with a barrage of arrows coming their way. With a flash of his sword, all the arrows were reduced to tiny cuttings and fell to the ground. Kres spotted the archer and went for a strike but two purple pieces of cloth rubbed past him and grabbed the enemy by the chest. He fell from the branch he was standing on. Murasaki began spinning at very high speeds and all Kres could see was a purple blur. He watched in awe as she slammed the foe into the ground jumping away before she also got hurt in the attack. She had won the bet.
    Kres: How in Necros did you do that?
    Murasaki grinned and ignored the question. Kres looked at his sword hand and noticed a dark stain on the palm of his sword hand. He tried to rub it off but nothing happened.
    Suddenly he was in a dark domain, cold and humid. He took a faltering step forward but a hissing voice asked, “Who goes?” He felt a cold hand touching the back of his neck. He turned but could not see what had touched him. “So you still don’t see me?” The voice said, “You soon will when you discover your inner darkness. Then, I will have your soul … “

Last Seen
    Today 04:25 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I've never really been one to read people's fiction (to be honest I haven't even read novels in a while, just non-fiction books aside from occasional manga/graphic novels), but I can see you've put time into this so I'll give it a read in the next couple of days. Keep it up, Kieran.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

5. Like Kieranlewix liked this post
    Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Thank you Mantis. I actually got this idea when I was in Highschool. Writing fiction was how I got away from the pressure to pass my exams and go to University. When I look back now, I think it's really helped.

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    4. SOLACE IN THE DARKNESS

“Is he alive?” Kres heard a voice say. “Of course he is, I can feel his pulse,” a familiar voice answered. With much effort, he managed to pull his eyelids apart. “Look, he’s waking up,’’ a third voice said. The images in front of him were blurred for some time but eventually came into focus. He saw two boys a year or so older than him and the beautiful Murasaki sitting by his bed.
    One was tall, thin and had coal-black hair while the other was also tall, well-built, with fairly dark hair. ”If you wake up, there’s a glass of booze waiting for you,” he said. “Come on Hyaku, he’s just a kid, and besides, you don’t have to tempt him with beer, he’s not like you!” Murasaki shot back. “Calm down, I was only joking Murasaki. Look, he’s waking up,’’ said Hyaku.
    Kres was now fully awake. He sat up and asked, “Where am I?” Hyaku answered, “You’re home, I am Hyaku, and you are?”
    “Hungry,” came a weak reply from a starving Kres. “Spec, get him something to eat,” Murasaki ordered. Spectre grumbled a bit and rushed to get him a big bowl of Sukiyaki he was done with pretty quickly. After five minutes or so, he said, “Kres.”
    Hyaku: I’m sorry, what?
    Kres: That’s my name, Kres, short for Kuresu.
    Spectre: Who gave you that lame name?
    Murasaki: What makes you think you’ve a got a better name Spec?
    At this Spectre frowned. He knew when he was beaten. This did not shut him up though.
    Spectre: This kid actually eats faster that Hyaku!
    Hyaku was a little annoyed but he knew it was true. Kres watched the boys as they teased each other and couldn’t help smiling to himself. It reminded him of his father, the good old days …
    Murasaki: Why are you sad?
    Kres: No reason, just thinking. Wait, I’m not sad.
    Murasaki: What are you thinking about?
    Kres: About the archer you killed.
    Hyaku: Wait what, you were attacked?
    Murasaki: Relax Hyaku, it was nothing much. With Kres to help me, it was pretty easy.
    Hyaku and Spectre looked at Kres, obviously impressed. Spectre blurted out, “So you’re good huh? How good, can you beat me?
    Kres: I’ve never dueled before.

Murasaki: You cut a whole barrage of arrows with a single strike!
    Kres listened to her, remembering the scene. He was puzzled. Then he asked, ‘’Where’s my sword?’’
    Hyaku: Here it is. It’s pretty heavy for a sword if you ask me.
    Spectre: Weird-looking sword you got there.
    When he touched it, he felt a rush of warmth flow into his body then asked, “What did you say again?”
    “That’s a weird looking sword?” Spectre answered, not sure where this was heading.
    Kres: No before that, you asked if I could beat you. My answer is yes. I challenge the three of you to a duel right now.
    The three siblings were amazed by his courage but his foolishness was what really impressed them.
    “We accept your challenge,” they said in unison.

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    5. THE BEAT-DOWN

The three got ready for a fight they were sure to win. Hyaku wore blue over his clothes, Spectre black, and Murasaki purple. As usual, Hyaku’s sword was sheathed, Spectre’s diagonal across his back and Murasaki’s swords already in her hands.
    Spectre attacked first. Kres comfortably blocked the attack before kicking his assailant into a nearby tree. He then smiled and looked at the others as if to ask, “Who’s next?”
    Murasaki and Hyaku looked at each other, really surprised by the turn of events. Spectre was usually very agile and dangerous but he had been immobilized in 30 seconds flat. Kres’ dark spot was spreading, fast.
    Hyaku: Did you see that?
    Murasaki: Weird, let’s hope it’s not what I think it is.
    Hyaku: I have a plan.
    Kres felt the immense power coursing through his veins. Taking no notice of the goings-on around him, he was positioned directly between Murasaki and Hyaku.
    Murasaki: Ninja art of the flooded arena!
    The ground started shaking and fissures resembling sprinklers surfaced shooting ice cold water all over the place. The arena was now a rainy haven.
    Hyaku: Ninja art of the chain lightning!
    Lightning shot from the back of his hand and stroke the pool of water causing a light show on the arena.
    “We got him, now let’s hope he is not dead,” Hyaku said, fatigue clouding his voice.
    Kres: Is that the best you can do?
    The smoke cleared to reveal a person with a smoky-ended cloak and a dark mask with two marks on his right eye. Half his body was dark with the other perfectly okay. He was just about to half Hyaku with his sword when two intercepted his. It was Murasaki with her two short-hand swords.
    Murasaki: Let you and I continue this Kres!
    She gestured Hyaku to go help Spectre and return before she died. Hyaku moved away towards Spectre as Murasaki turned to face the sword-influenced Kres. She gave him a kick to the chest so fast and so hard that it sent him struggling for balance on the wet ground far from her. Eventually, he sat down. She had made him angry. He leaped to a tree but disappeared only to reappear behind her. He took a swing at her but she intercepted with her swords. He leaped back but she followed and lunged before he could block. The kick caught him square in the jaw and down he fell. Before he landed on the ground, he disappeared again and appeared on another tree.
    They were moving so fast that all Hyaku and the reawakening Spectre could see were purple and black streaks painting the sky.
    Hyaku: Quickly! Burn the ground, she’s got a plan.
    Spectre: Ninja art of the razing inferno!
    Fire engulfed his fist and he punched the ground hard. It seemed to steam up and in about three seconds there was a thick fog all around. It made it almost impossible to see.
    Hyaku: Spectre, go up the tree. When Murasaki comes up with Kres, knock him out.
    Spectre did as he was told and waited. Hyaku followed closely after in order to make sure the plan was followed through. Things were going well for the trio and just as expected, Kres was closely behind Murasaki as she rose out of the fog. He was met by Spectre’s flaming fist and this time he landed on the ground causing a tremor.
    Hyaku saw an opening and gestured his sister to follow suite. Combining Murasaki’s and his art, poor Kres was electrocuted furiously.
    Hyaku: Okay Raijin, let’s do our thing. Fete of a hundred slashes.
    He reached for Kres and gave him slash after slash of his cold hard blade. ‘’… Ninety-eight, ninety-nine ...“
    Hyaku counted and finished off, “one hundred”, cutting off Kres’ sword hand. The blackened hand with the sword fell and another one grew almost instantly. This time it was a normal one. The hand and the sword fell but the hand turned into smoke and disappeared. The sword lay there, as the black half of Kres’ body returned to its normal state. He woke up to find the three looking at him.
    “Are you okay?” Murasaki asked. “I’ll be fine, after a heavy meal that is”, he said with a smile.

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    6. A face for every occasion

‘’Can you wake up?” Spectre asked. “No,” came a weak reply from Kres. Hyaku went on to put Kres’ arm around his neck and Spectre followed. They carried him to the house with a few “Ow, uh and ah’s’’ from Kres.
    This was the first time Kres really took notice of the house. It was small with a very expensive-looking carpet and a small wooden table at the centre. High above on the wall was a large portrait of a middle-aged couple. The room looked way different from before. He had just whizzed by the first time but still, it looked very different.
    He turned to ask the three but their appearances had also changed. “What the heavens is going on here?” He exclaimed. “So you have noticed huh? You will be able to do that once we’ve taught you.’’ Hyaku said. He was now a bit shorter with fair skin, jet-black pupils in his eyes and blue spiky hair with a shade of black.
    ‘’Once you’ve taught me what?” Kres asked.
    ‘’Ninja arts,” the siblings said in unison.
    ‘’Wait, you mean THE NINJA ARTS?” He said angrily, “I don’t want to learn techniques meant for killing!”
    “Chill out Kres, not all ninja are like that. Sure, they might have killed some … “Hyaku said before being interrupted.
    “People? Those animals killed my parents yesternight before my eyes.”
    Murasaki: Our parents were murdered by the ninja too. What do we do now? Should we sit around and be sad forever?
    She asked this while looking deep into Kres’ eyes. Then she pointed at the portrait without even looking at it.
    Murasaki: Do you see that? They were the best parents in the world. They wouldn’t let us sulk. We move on okay?
    Her words sounded so true and full of pain. Nevertheless, she did not waver; the ninja never got emotional. This sparked off some courage in Kres. He realized that he was not the only one suffering out there. Someone truly understood exactly how he felt inside. He had made a friend who invited him into her home and given him new brothers and people he could call friends. Things were definitely starting to look up for him. He owed Murasaki a lot, and to think the circumstances of their meeting were not a story he could say aloud. He was very glad they met though.