ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 01:00 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong

Family reactions to your anime hobby

I thought this might be an interesting thread idea. I'm rewatching what's probably my second favourite anime series (and I've seen a fair amount), which is a seinen (adult target audience, but not hentai!) called Monster.

I swear to god, this anime has one of the most fleshed out plots I've ever seen and if I didn't love Outlaw Star so much it would be at the top of my list. It's set in Germany, starts off in the 1980s and is about a Japanese neurosurgeon whose decision to ignore hospital orders to prioritise a mayor's operation and instead save a young boy's life ends up becoming the biggest mistake of his life. Even from my crappy synopsis I'm sure you can agree that this would work well for the big screen as a live action production as well, right? That's probably why a producer bought the license to film a live action series... which sadly never happened.

But what if it had? In fact, what if it never received an anime adaptation and became a live action TV show? I think it would have worked, and if people were never told it used to be a manga they'd probably have watched it with no questions asked. Its dramatic story is perfect for this. Why is it that my mother who is often very eager to watch TV shows with me (and keep in mind despite Monster mostly being a dark show, she was fine watching Dexter with me which can be rather graphic) had nothing to say about Monster after watching just two episodes with me? (I knew this was coming so I just wanted her to try it out.) I'll tell you why.

These are the kinds of things most people think of when you mention anything about anime:

Name:  02f3a688df9240beabaa307b93b57e6b.gif
Views: 54
Size:  980.5 KB

Name:  21db1d00b136f7369f814b894da79f1d91445113_hq.gif
Views: 67
Size:  130.6 KB

Name:  tjuTm6Q.gif
Views: 52
Size:  231.1 KB

Oh yeah, hentai too.

Don't get me wrong. Every now and then I'll watch stupid-ass anime and I do enjoy comedy. I just wish the perception of high-standard anime with mature storylines wasn't ruined by ridiculous series. My mother is quite a big fan of Blade Runner. I can see why. In the 1980s the original film must have looked incredible, and it still does today. Ghost in the Shell has a Blade Runner feel to it and I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inspiration. I'm guessing most of you have seen the recent GitS live action film which I thoroughly enjoyed. I decided to not tell my mother that it was originally an anime as a bit of an experiment. While she didn't enjoy it as much as Blade Runner she did really like it, so when I told her it's an anime adaptation she was quite speechless.

That raises the question: why do so many people seem to jump to conclusions about animations? I think anime like those in the spoiler tag are partially to blame, but also western animation doesn't help. Our own animation really is mostly for children and I don't think a lot of adults understand that Japanese animation is often enjoyed by adults over there. It just seems preposterous to me that people will write something off as childish just because it wasn't filmed. I'm a big film/TV fan, but honestly animation allows more creativity. So many people seem to be so boneheaded that they'd miss out on enjoying some of the greatest stories because of something so petty.

How about you? Perhaps you're lucky enough to have a family who aren't so narrow-minded about this. Do you ever watch anime with family?
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

2. Like LtSurge liked this post
    Last Seen
    Today 08:18 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Honestly, I think the perception of anime is more that it's perverted shit made for horny teenagers than just mindless goofiness, at least that's the perception I get from people who aren't into anime. I do agree that most animation is seen as kid stuff. I think that we have Disney and a lot of cartoons in the 60s to thank for that and even when we do get something "mature" it's usually stuff like Family Guy or some juvenile show on Adult Swim. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love goofy, juvenile stuff but I do wish we got action shows aimed at an older audience.

On the topic at hand, my parents don't really have much of a reaction. I never really go into anime with my parents. I recall my Dad watching Dragonball on Toonami way back in the day and he enjoyed the exaggerated reactions the characters made. What's weird was, when I was little, my parents would never allow me to watch R rated movies yet they didn't seem to have a problem with me watching The Guyver or Ninja Scroll in the family living room.

Last Seen
    Today 01:52 AM
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    Honestly, I think the perception of anime is more that it's perverted shit made for horny teenagers than just mindless goofiness, at least that's the perception I get from people who aren't into anime.
    Yeah that is the same thing I have noticed. I have liked anime since I was around 11 years old and being that I am not a dude, they can't say that crap to me. lol I think it depends on what you watch as well. When people who don't watch it hear about someone they know watching it, they think of the most perverted anime reference. While some anime is perverted and more sexual, plenty of it is not.

As for my friends/family.. It isn't something I talked about really. My brother liked some anime when he was younger and was mad at me for liking some of the same ones. I think Pokemon paved the way to it not being a perverted thing or something "morally wrong" to watch in my family. Hard to see that anime and think any of it is perverted. My niece also watched some as well when she was younger. She loved Inuyasha.

Last Seen
    7th May 2018 05:28 PM
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    My family got my mum into anime... now she's into it more than us.

My mum's house is a shrine to anime. Wall to wall in anime posters and scrolls. All rooms, all hallways. Besides the bathrooms.

6. Like LtSurge liked this post
    Last Seen
    4th April 2018 12:51 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    My mom use to work late back in my younger days and would come home when my brother and I were watching the Adult Swim anime block. We'd make snacks and she'd chill with us and watch Trigun, Gundam, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inyuyasha as long as she could before falling asleep. I thought it was the coolest thing. We got older, and that eventually trickled off but she still holds interest. My sister got into watching anime recently and got her to watch Chobits. My dad doesn't really hold any interest or judgement but would sometime pop in and watch for a few minutes then make a fun jab at the voices before walking out. Anime to him can be summed up in the video below:

"(21:31:30) Kokirininja: will she notice the globs of glue....?
    (21:31:56) TheMachetejoe: Nope! I'm as stealthy as a mouse...on bear adrenaline."
    "(18:42:32) Hannah: I like to giggle when I sit in chairs."
    "(19:46:20) lloydSSJ4: I was contemplating my similarities with Fred Luo, while making a sandwhich."
    Referring to Spammers
    (23:27:52) Mantis: I'm thinking of banning the whole of the Philippines from the site.
    (23:27:56) Mantis: The whole bloody country.
    (23:28:05) Mantis: Because that's where most of the parasites come from.

8. Like LtSurge liked this post
    Funny Mantis found this post funny
    Last Seen
    27th April 2018 10:19 AM
    Wong
    Whenever someone ask about my hobby I tell them the story of anime , that it was created in japan, based on Manga and that Anime and Manga is a subculture in japan since 80℅ of the Japanese both young and adults alike are fans of it. Having said that, I'll just hear them say "Ahh".

10. Like LtSurge liked this post
    Last Seen
    6th June 2018 02:29 PM
    Wong
    My mum hates anime but doesn't mind if I watch it. My dad is a bit more lenient but probably wouldn't go out of his way to watch anime, AFAIK the only one he's ever willingly sat down to watch is the original Ghost in the Shell movie, besides the kids stuff we used to rent when I was a young lad.

12. Like LtSurge liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 05:40 AM
    Personality
    twilightsuzuka
    Wong
    Most of my family either likes or doesn't mind it.

My dad and I watched Dragonball Z and Rurouni Kenshin, before we even knew what anime was. He doesn't like anime as much as me, but he certainly respects the art itself.

Particularly when it's a good story