ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    16th October 2018 05:41 PM
    Wong

Will Technology Outsmart Us?

This is a topic that may have been brought up on here before but I find it an interesting one to come back to now and then.

The way I see it, technology has brought us amazing things. It has challenged us, it has given us easier lives...
    BUT for many people, it has made them less focused, more prone to upsets, and generally weakened their memory. In terms of education on a memory based platform, it has indeed made people dumber.

With that being said... Do you think technology will outsmart us one day be it in the context of Terminator or something else?

Last Seen
    Today 02:29 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    I think that technology has made us stupider because we have not used it to further humanity's progress. Four decades ago, when the space shuttles were still in operation, our parents and grandparents had hopes that, in the recent future, mankind would some day take off for the other planets and the stars beyond. However, with the ubiquitous consumption of "smart" technology, as well as the increased use of social media and reliance upon technology to fulfill basic needs, I am starting to feel disappointed in humanity. People fly into rages online over the pettiest things, and cry false tears over something that won't matter thirty years from now. It is disheartening, and it is why I prefer to escape into worlds of fiction.
    A boy has the right to dream. There are endless possibilities stretched out before him....

3. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawBard19 View Post
    I think that technology has made us stupider because we have not used it to further humanity's progress. Four decades ago, when the space shuttles were still in operation, our parents and grandparents had hopes that, in the recent future, mankind would some day take off for the other planets and the stars beyond. However, with the ubiquitous consumption of "smart" technology, as well as the increased use of social media and reliance upon technology to fulfill basic needs, I am starting to feel disappointed in humanity. People fly into rages online over the pettiest things, and cry false tears over something that won't matter thirty years from now. It is disheartening, and it is why I prefer to escape into worlds of fiction.
    Yeah I can see what you mean. People do use it for advancement but you seldom hear about it because the masses seem to be too concerned with hating each other. I always see and hear of people protesting or speaking out against something they hate. Instead of focusing on what you hate, why not just spread the word on what you love instead? Catch more flies with honey than vinegar as they say. But yeah... As a whole, just in the last 10 years alone it seems to have been wasted.

Last Seen
    Today 02:29 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    I think the whole thing with activism online is so big because it's a way people can draw attention to themselves rather than to a real issue.

Plus, there are stories of people forming parasocial relationships with fictional characters online. Like, a fangirl might believe that Harry Potter loves her when he is only a fictional character. I think that the internet is a way for people to gain unhealthy attention because they feel like their lives have no value or meaning. It leads one down a dark and dreary path.

Instead, why not look for meaning in the offline world? Go exercise, ride a bike, go on a hike, just do something that's healthy for your mind and body. I drink tea every single day, and I've started doing Qigong. I have started to feel much healthier than I thought I would ever feel. I feel like I can tackle more tasks now.
    A boy has the right to dream. There are endless possibilities stretched out before him....

6. Agree KorinKitty agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    13th August 2018 06:32 PM
    Wong
    If humanity's collective IQ continues to decline then sure.

8. Funny Mantis found this post funny
    Last Seen
    Today 04:07 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    It will probably out "smart" us eventually, but it will never be more intelligent than us. Humans have common sense (most do), and can adapt to a situation if things gho awry. Robots/computers/whatever cannot do that nearly to the degree humans can. That's why we're at the top of the food chain. We don't have giant claws, super speed, big fangs, or anything that makes us strong on our own, but we can adapt, we can build, we can change, and that's what makes us more intelligent than a computer.

I see this every night at my job. I work in Telemetry. Basically, I watch the monitors of the boxes used to watch a patient's heart. The monitor itself beeps when it detects something wrong, like asystole (no heart beat, ie, dead). However, the monitor can detect a small QRS wave (the heart actually beating), or just messy signal as asystole. We as humans can look at it and know right away whether it's real or not. The computer cannot, because it is unable to notice the difference.

https://www.twitch.tv/hippieharris<--My friend's Twitch channel (I'm usually there with other friends)

10. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudohippie View Post
    It will probably out "smart" us eventually, but it will never be more intelligent than us. Humans have common sense (most do), and can adapt to a situation if things gho awry. Robots/computers/whatever cannot do that nearly to the degree humans can. That's why we're at the top of the food chain. We don't have giant claws, super speed, big fangs, or anything that makes us strong on our own, but we can adapt, we can build, we can change, and that's what makes us more intelligent than a computer.

I see this every night at my job. I work in Telemetry. Basically, I watch the monitors of the boxes used to watch a patient's heart. The monitor itself beeps when it detects something wrong, like asystole (no heart beat, ie, dead). However, the monitor can detect a small QRS wave (the heart actually beating), or just messy signal as asystole. We as humans can look at it and know right away whether it's real or not. The computer cannot, because it is unable to notice the difference.
    This is a good point. The video that inspired this topic does mention a bit on this. You guys may be interested in it:

Last Seen
    16th October 2018 05:45 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Sure, it's hypothetically possible. I read someone saying Mars will be necessary to escape to if we ever reach that point. But if we did, they'd surely be smart enough to follow us there, right?
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

13. You're Winner! KorinKitty thought that this post's writer are winner!
    Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Sure, it's hypothetically possible. I read someone saying Mars will be necessary to escape to if we ever reach that point. But if we did, they'd surely be smart enough to follow us there, right?
    if this were the case, they would likely beat us to Mars. We would get there and they would have a force field around the entire planet. We'd be completely screwed lol

15. Agree Mantis agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 02:58 PM
    Wong
    There's a big possibility that A.I. or artificial intelligence would eventually develop its own sentience in a few decades from now, this is according to scientists. With the rapid development of technology and robotics nowadays, we would see himanoid robots, androids and half human half machine creations walking among us in the next 25-50 years.