ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 01:23 AM
    Wong

Does rap music influence violence?

A lot of people like to talk about school violence these days and how to control it or get a better grip on it. Not many people look to the parents and even fewer look at the entertainment industry. Rap music is one of those things that never sat right with me. It objectifies women, promotes drug use and alcoholism, glorifies crime and gang violence, and generally preaches how people should live for money and that is it.

What are your thoughts on it?

Last Seen
    Today 08:51 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Those who say rap music hasn't ever inspired violence have buried their heads in the sand. It's not hard to find many homicidal cases strongly related to gangsta rap. Not just the fans either—this list shows dozens of rapper homicides, including Tupac who was killed in a drive-by shooting. Beyond that I don't have much of an opinion, because nowadays nearly everything is responsible for something bad.

How a kid turns out is mostly down to nurture, like parenting and education.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

3. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Today 07:43 PM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Those who say rap music hasn't ever inspired violence have buried their heads in the sand. It's not hard to find many homicidal cases strongly related to gangsta rap. Not just the fans either—this list shows dozens of rapper homicides, including Tupac who was killed in a drive-by shooting. Beyond that I don't have much of an opinion, because nowadays nearly everything is responsible for something bad.

How a kid turns out is mostly down to nurture, like parenting and education.
    I very much agree here. Rap music does glorify violence, but the majority of the blame falls on parents. I grew up with shitty parents who decided to divorce. It was a long, drawn-out battle for custody that still continues to this day, in a small part. My mother and father refuse to speak to each other. I don't want more families like that because I know from first-hand experience that it's an awful situation that only breeds more awful situations. Parents need not only to plan their lives out and settle things reasonably, but also show some backbone towards their children. If parents don't show authority, the kids grow up and become entitled little jackasses who end up thinking they're owed something when they're really owed nothing.
    A boy has the right to dream. There are endless possibilities stretched out before him....

5. Like KorinKitty, Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    Today 01:23 AM
    Wong
    That is a fair point. While I don't think the music will cause a kid to grow up and be violent I still think it plays a role in it.

I guess it is kind of like the health of a body. One thing doesn't cause a disease, it is multiple factors that lead to it like malnutrition, stress, and physical trauma.

Last Seen
    17th December 2018 04:39 PM
    Wong
    It may or it may not. Though for me, it somehow influences aggressive behavior. I guess the other aspect to this looking past what the music and lyrics, is the fact that rappers can become role models and there is indeed the stereotype that all rappers are violent. As for the music videos, most of the time it conveys "money" and "being rich." I don't even know where that idea originated from.