ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 03:42 PM
    Wong

Has anyone considered making a game?

I was thinking about this the other day and I did a bit of googling and didn't see anything on it.
    I know not all (well most) anime series do not have a video game but given the length of this series and the general locations (space) I think it would do very well. I am not sure what kind of game it would be per-say but I would be interested in it.

What do you guys think? Could an Outlaw Star game be any good?
    If they were to make one, what kind of game would it be similar to do you think?

Last Seen
    Today 06:19 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Edit: I mistook this as being in the games forum. For relevancy I removed the parts about my general game dev pursuits.

I believe most of the users here know about this, but a couple of years back I posted an April Fools' joke about my discovery of a SNES Outlaw Star game. Funnily enough, a few people really seemed to have bought it. (I always felt bad when die-hard fans fell for my jokes.) Despite paying a pixel artist for the pixel art, I designed/directed all of the following screenshots and I believe it was well worth the money, as it felt great to create what could have been. (Ryu Knight—the Outlaw Star creator Takehiko Ito's previous work—actually did get a SNES adaptation!)

Name:  outlawsnes1.png
Views: 109
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  outlawsnes2.png
Views: 107
Size:  23.9 KB

Name:  outlawsnes3.png
Views: 104
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  outlawsnes4.png
Views: 107
Size:  180.4 KB

I had some really great ideas about an Outlaw Star RPG, which was kind of a cross between Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Grandia. But such a project would require either a much bigger indie studio or proper funding. Great as a fun joke, nonetheless.

Almost literally one decade ago (and the same year I first watched Outlaw Star) I started developing an Outlaw Star Asteroids clone. In favour of an Outlaw Star fan site I had a funny idea of making I abandoned it very early on, but here's a little demo of me flying around without any asteroids. I really don't know why I haven't created any Outlaw Star indie games yet.

Name:  osasteroidassault.gif
Views: 114
Size:  4.85 MB
    Better than nothing I suppose!

There are loads of genres that would fit Outlaw Star like a glove. Space strategy (more of an umbrella category) is one of them.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

3. Like Starwind55, KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Today 11:31 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Well, I'm no game designer (Not sure if I have what it takes to make it in the game industry. I'd be, at best, an idea guy) but I did kind of ponder what an Outlaw Star game would be like. I'd think it'd be cool if it was either a 3rd or 1st person game where you'd have the choice of playing as either Gene, Aisha, or Suzuka with each having their own playstyle. Gene would be all about firepower with his caster as kind of being a "I'm overswarmed and I really need to clear this area RIGHT THE FUCK NOW!" special weapon, kind of like the BFG in Doom 2016. Aisha would be a brawler, engaging enemies in hand to hand combat and you can have a meter that, when filled up, allows you to transform into her beast for that deals a crap ton of damage. Suzuka would be somewhere in between relying on her boken for close quarter combat and her tao magic for distance attacks. She'd be the fastest of the 3 characters and hell, maybe you can even have do some Devil May Cry style combos. Perhaps Jim could be speaking to you by radio giving optional objectives to complete for cash that you can use for supplies or perhaps and upgrade system. There would also be space battle levels where you can engage with weapons and your grappler arms to perform special moves on other ships.

Granted, my idea is probably too big for a indie type game but I think it could be solid if pulled off well.

5. Like KorinKitty, Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    13th August 2018 12:05 PM
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    I am on a game dev course, so of course I think about making a lot of games.

Honestly though, I think for Outlaw Star, I'd be more interested in writing a fan manga of some kind.

Last Seen
    Today 06:19 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctarl-Ctarl Empire View Post
    I am on a game dev course, so of course I think about making a lot of games.

Honestly though, I think for Outlaw Star, I'd be more interested in writing a fan manga of some kind.
    Ito did make a very short manga teaser based on Hilda in the Outlaw Star anime universe.

On the flip side, a game adaptation of the Outlaw Star manga would be interesting. I could imagine it being a noir-style point-and-click/adventure perhaps borrowing the greyscale palette. It would be a good way to present the much darker and seedier manga universe.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    13th August 2018 06:32 PM
    Wong
    Outlaw Star would work pretty well as a video game, something like Star Wars Jedi Outcast but caster shell management, and maybe have characters like Aisha and Suzuka would be suited for the melee parts.

Last Seen
    Today 03:42 PM
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Example View Post
    Outlaw Star would work pretty well as a video game, something like Star Wars Jedi Outcast but caster shell management, and maybe have characters like Aisha and Suzuka would be suited for the melee parts.
    Really they can venture the whole idea into a mele/fighting game itself if they include enough characters. Make it similar to Street Fighter in a way. I would actually play the game. Just a thought. I guess if it was more popular though, someone would have tried to make a game for it by now.

Last Seen
    3rd August 2018 05:51 AM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    Really they can venture the whole idea into a mele/fighting game itself if they include enough characters. Make it similar to Street Fighter in a way. I would actually play the game. Just a thought. I guess if it was more popular though, someone would have tried to make a game for it by now.
    See I've had a similar thought but, due to the action style that Outlaw Star tends to adhere to, I was thinking less of a direct 2D style of fighting-game and more of a 3D arena fighter, similar to Dimps' School of Ragnarok, almost any of CyberConnect2's fighters (though more the Ultimate Ninja series or .hack//Versus) or some of Eighting's more open-arena fighters, like Castlevania Judgement, where the variety of fighting styles is easier to pair up with the respective characters. The 108 Stars all relying on the skills the show off in the show, Harry having different forms based on his replacement bodies, Aisha having an alternate attack form based on her beast form as a sort of meter-burning ultra. There's a ton of meat there for some really distinct combat styles, some more combo-focused, some more skill-based plays, some logical zoning characters...
    ...man, this sounds like a ton of fun.
    "You keep bringing Turok into this. Knock it off."

Last Seen
    18th September 2018 05:24 PM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    What about the idea of a text-based adventure game? Something set in the Outlaw Star world but a la Zork? Or perhaps something else in a retro vein?
    A boy has the right to dream. There are endless possibilities stretched out before him....

Last Seen
    Today 11:31 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    You know, speaking of retro, I always thought it'd be cool to have a side-scrolling shooter. Kind of like that Terminator game for the Sega CD where, between each mission, you'd get a scene from the anime playing, and there would be spaceship battles here and there.