ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    25th July 2018 04:30 AM
    Wong

Hello, fellow Outlaws! Where are the ladies at? ;)

Just kidding!

Hey guys. It's so cool that there's an Outlaw Star community. I never hear it get any love!

Anyways, I got into watching anime about 3 years ago, so I'm not a vet like most of you guys, but I love it all the same! I actually found OS by watching Cowboy Bebop, loving it, then searching for shows like it. Outlaw Star was the name that popped up, I watched it, and the rest is history! I LOVED IT! Like, it's my favorite anime by far! By sheer coincidence, it happened to have a mash of everything I found cool: A badass gungho ladies man as the main character, space travel with heavy emphasis on adventure, cool gunfights, catgirls, magic, chinese influences, Fred Luo, the comic book coloring and I could go on and on and on!

I think it's such a shame this show got forgotten in favor of Bebop. I think what Outlaw Star has over Bebop is FUN. Plain and simple, it's just so FUN. Every adventure was a blast, and it really felt like anything could happen. Like this was an adventure I would want to go on. I liked that it had its serious moments too, but not too much. I could seriously write so much more about why I love it, but I'll stop gushing now haha

On a sidenote, if anyone could point me to some more anime that dont take place in the real world, and are all about adventure and fun, throw them my way! Thanks guys!

Last Seen
    Today 04:46 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Hello, fellow Outlaws! Where are the ladies at?
    I give up, where? Oh, wait. That was just your thread title. Nevermind. ;p

Seriously, welcome aboard! Yeah, my views pretty much line up with yours as to why I respond to Outlaw Star so much. It's fun, pulpy nature makes it the equivalent of comfort food. Cowboy Bebop may have more going on under the hood but if I had to choose between the two, it's Outlaw Star any day of the week. I found the characters a million times more endearing.

As for other shows that promise adventure? Well, there is an older show called Lost Universe that has some superficial similarities. It's not as good and has some spotty animation but it's a decent show and has some fun moments. There is another show called Coyote Ragtime Show that also deals with some space outlaws taking part in a heist that's a lot of fun and worth checking out.

Anywho, hope to hear more from you soon. Have fun!

3. Drink to This! SeeYouSpaceStarwind would drink to this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 05:45 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Hello and welcome to Nexus, SeeYouSpaceStarwind!

It's nice to see a new guy. I'm also glad to see somebody else who isn't an anime vet. Though I've been watching anime for a decade now, it was still around seven years after most members here that I discovered Outlaw Star. You're also not the only one to wonder why Outlaw Star has been generally overlooked. Consider yourself lucky if you're sticking around and don't see me grumble about that sooner or later.

I understand how you feel about the show. If you're the kind of person who loves adventure, great journeys and themes of desire, Outlaw Star has pretty much everything an outlaw-to-be could want. I'm not saying it's perfect or that it's for everyone, but hell, any anime fan should at least give it a try.

You're right about Outlaw Star and Bebop. Often they get lumped together, but actually the shows are more different than people realise. It only really takes comparing the characters. While I realise it's an overused expression, the Outlaw Star crew's glass is half-full, and the Bebop crew's is half-empty. That latter crew lives in the past, and the former in the future.

As for recommendations, hmm... it's a good question. Honestly, I don't know if there's that much. It's Outlaw Star's uniqueness that stood out to me, though there are various shows/films with a general space theme. Of course, the first mention would be the spin-off called Angel Links. I'm currently watching it again but I was never a big fan. I see Starwind55 mentioned Lost Universe. I tried it but it seemed a bit mediocre. Maybe I should give it another try. I think Harlock anime are good, but they don't have the same positive vibes that Outlaw Star does.

One feel-good space series I really did enjoy (and didn't have the edginess that came later) was the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Since it's from the 1970s you'll have to prepare yourself for something that doesn't look out of this world (not sure why, but I enjoyed its simple colouring) and doesn't have a very complex story. To be honest I haven't watched other Gundams.

Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

5. Like SeeYouSpaceStarwind liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 05:41 PM
    Wong
    Hey there, welcome to the forum! Glad to see people finding their way here.

I actually consider Cowboy Bebop my all time favorite anime series but I still really enjoyed Outlaw Star. I never understood why people would throw other anime series in the dirt because they fall into a similar genre just because they feel they have already watched the best there is.

Anyways, enjoy your stay

7. Like SeeYouSpaceStarwind liked this post
    Last Seen
    25th July 2018 04:30 AM
    Wong
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'll try to be more active on here once things settle down in real life.

And don't get me wrong, I freaking love Cowboy Bebop. But whenever people compare two awesome things, why should we have to decide which one is "better"? Hell, I say let's enjoy both these awesome shows! It's just that Outlaw Star definitely fits in more with my personal style. Always loved kick-ass fun adventures more than the melancholy style of Bebop.

9. Like TheGhostOfSabotage liked this post
    Agree Mantis agreed with this post