ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 01:01 AM
    Wong

What amount of income = good living?

I have heard and read several different takes on this.

Some people say they need 6 figures or more, some even go as far as to say 7 or 8 figures.
    Then you have people who are surprisingly happy with a lot less.

At what point does income become good living and why do so many people have different beliefs and opinions on this?

I have always said that I want stability. I want enough income to buy what I need, pay the bills, and have enough left over to get some things I want and to be able to put some into savings - all while owning a home and a car. I would say with two people, the income for this would probably be about $80,000 a year combined.

2. Like LtSurge liked this post
    Last Seen
    9th October 2018 08:23 AM
    Personality
    twilightsuzuka
    Wong
    Ideally, I would have an income of infinite monies. Alas, we do not live in an ideal world.

It depends, like all things. What constitutes as sufficient income will be measured by the local cost of living, and the life choices somebody makes.

Some people want to live a certain way, and whatever income is necessary for that way of life is probably considered "good" living.

For me, I would like to live in north-eastern USA, own a substantial plot of land, and have enough net income to support my hobbies and my personal business endeavors. I'd like to have some of my land dedicated to growing crops and keeping some farm animals, pay a guy or two to help take care of it all.

$80,000 sounds like a good number. In my current situation, I am below the poverty level, but thanks to some fortunate circumstances (living close to my employer, having low rent, and a family that loves me), I am living fairly comfortably, and saving money here and there.

Once I pay off all my debt, which is thankfully under $10k, I'll be in a much better position to make some important investments that will grow my income, without having to work my day job more than I have to.

Last Seen
    15th July 2018 02:42 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    It's subjective, of course. And when people start throwing out terms like "the middle class" and rent rates, well it varies depending on where you're at in the country (U.S.). It's a dangerous slope we can all find ourselves sliding down in our culture: we think once we get that promotion, or this big of a house, or that kind of car, or this many zeros behind our paycheck, THEN we'll be happy, x will be enough. Problem there is, if that's where you're sights are aimed for happiness, x will never be enough. If you ever do get x, then you'll want y, then z, on and on and on.

I can't put a number on it (again, based on one's own standard of living, cultural norms, and the current economic state of affairs), but personally I'd say if people have enough to make ends meet, some leftover for disposable income, and a little to prudently squirrel away for emergencies, money-wise that's enough for a "good" living here in the States. Anything beyond that, imho, is icing; curbing your expectations to not "need" more than that will lead to a sense of satisfaction and contentment in daily life.
    No one's gonna' give you a map. You've gotta' walk your own path.
    - Hilda

Last Seen
    Today 03:24 AM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    I think a single person or married couple can live a happy life on $50-55k
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"

Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Physical copies of games are far superior to digital copies

Last Seen
    17th December 2018 04:39 PM
    Wong
    Since I live in a third world country, still single, and has a minimalist lifestyle, I'll be happy and content if I do earn about $20K/year. A slight bump in earnings would be okay if I decided to be a family man.

Last Seen
    24th December 2018 01:52 AM
    Wong
    It really depends on reality. Dreaming of big money is something people does a lot but to realize it is another thing. There's really no quick way to earn big money but through hard work and that's the hard part. Careful planning, focus and determination is needed as well as some good luck to achieve it.

Last Seen
    17th December 2018 04:39 PM
    Wong
    The thing is, when you earn more, you start to change your lifestyle little by little. You buy this, buy that, subscribe to this, to that. As some would say, upgrade yourself. But personally, I don't know as I'm weird and I would want to be the same person as I am with the way I look or the kind of food that I eat even if I get wealthy. I only want the simple things in life. What I want to change dramatically for the better is my rational thinking and of course, career.

Last Seen
    Today 01:01 AM
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by NoviceNinja View Post
    The thing is, when you earn more, you start to change your lifestyle little by little. You buy this, buy that, subscribe to this, to that. As some would say, upgrade yourself. But personally, I don't know as I'm weird and I would want to be the same person as I am with the way I look or the kind of food that I eat even if I get wealthy. I only want the simple things in life. What I want to change dramatically for the better is my rational thinking and of course, career.
    I guess this goes with the whole "money changes people" thing. Like if I suddenly became rich next week, I would want things I couldn't afford before but I wouldn't change a whole lot in terms of my lifestyle. If I had that much money in excess, I would likely donate a lot of it or use it to open up shelters for homeless people and shelters for cats and dogs (no kill ones).