ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    27th August 2018 09:35 PM
    Wong

Update on how manga scans/translations are going

Hello all! I'm an old-time fan of Outlaw Star (the anime) and I just recently discovered that I'd downloaded the first tonkubon quite a few years back, though it seems I hadn't gone through to reading it back then. Of course I corrected that mistake immediately, but just one volume was enough to get me hooked again so my googling led me to the Nexus. From what I gather (and correct me of I'm wrong) you guys are working on scanning and translating the manga, but I sort of got lost in the alleys of the forum and can't figure out how your progress is going and where I can get access to whatever you've done up to now. So I'd really be grateful if you could post an update and if the manga is accessible anywhere here please please show me the way!
    Thanks a bunch!

Last Seen
    Today 10:28 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Hey newbie! Welcome to the forum.

The truth is that it's been on hold for a while. Actually, it's taken far longer than I hoped as I underestimated the work that goes into a scanlation. I'm always glad to see somebody who's enthusiastic about the manga though. You're not wrong, but to say the manga is in active development would be dishonest. I keep the manga's progress behind closed doors. I've given you access to the Galactic Leyline forum where I post drafts of the manga and any of my other projects. You'll find it under "Outlaw Star Nexus" in the index.

I'm not sure how useful my work will currently be. I almost got to the end of the next submission. (That's up to page 150.) That would leave one more submission to complete the first volume. However, as you know all of these are already done. I wanted to start from the beginning for my own purposes. Different translators can have different tones. I chose to avoid reading the other translation, but you might find my own style better or worse. If you want, you're able to join in with improving my translation. A couple of other members have really helped me out by submitting suggestions.

Seeing others' interest is encouraging since Outlaw Star is often overlooked. I'll try to finish the (well, draft version) 121-150 pages in the next few days.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

3. Like SeeYouSpaceStarwind liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 07:01 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If you want, you're able to join in with improving my translation.
    Mantis, would you mind giving me access to take a look as well? I paid a translator some time back to translate a few chapters beyond what i could find scanlated about 2 years ago. I get the sense that you have your own way you want to go about this, but i could at least post what i have there 'behind closed doors' so you can do with it what you wish.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"

Last Seen
    Today 10:28 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Good timing. I just finished the next update and I've granted you access to the Galactic Leyline forum. (Let me know if there's any problem with that.) Yeah, I use my own methods. The source material for translations is the European manga versions, though I use some old Japanese raws for the draft version. When I finally reach the extra chapters not found in the volumes (I already acquired all of them) I'll need to hire a translator as of course they're only in Japanese.

Your help would certainly be appreciated, so feel free to create a thread in that forum. (Or alternatively you can PM me if you'd like to keep them more private.)
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    Yesterday 07:01 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Your help would certainly be appreciated, so feel free to create a thread in that forum. (Or alternatively you can PM me if you'd like to keep them more private.)
    PM'd you for now. I'll probably make a thread at some point, but let me share what I have and see if that is even warranted before I insert myself into this project too far. The Japanese translation aspect is where I'll shine the most as I have two excellent connections for making sure that part goes smoothly. Talk to you soon.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"

7. Like Mantis liked this post