Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    27th June 2018 02:34 AM
    Wong

So I finally finished the series, almost 20 years later lol.

So I grew up with toonami like a lot of other people, but I never got around to finishing the series while it aired. A few years later I bought the DVDs in an FYE and started but...

It wasn't until this year I finally sat down and finished the whole series.

Have to say, I'm kind of melancholic about it. When you have something nostalgic like this, that was unfinished, there's a certain magic to it. A mystery. It feels like the world could go on forever. That quote from the show is kind of apt here. A man can not go back to being a boy. And similarly, once a story is over, you'll never have that same sense of wonder from before. Revisiting the past was fun while it lasted, though.

ANYWAYS.

Easily a 10/10. I could go on about everything I loved, but by far the best part is that the story's universe still feels so very vast. Like I feel like I've been shown a lot of this universe, but that there's still plenty left unexplored. I think for an adventure show like this, that's the best accomplishment it can boast.
    Life is demanding, without understanding.

2. Like (Who is) Lobo, Alchytect liked this post
    Drink to This! Mantis would drink to this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 12:50 AM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    This was an interesting read. It was ten years ago when I first watched Outlaw Star, and I still recall the satisfaction from completing it. While I very rarely hear about people postponing a series for that long (except long series like Dragon Ball or The Simpsons) that's pretty damn cool. Yeah, Outlaw Star certainly has a few meaningful quotes. And I suppose the one you quoted is very much true.

...unless you get Alzheimer's later in life or something.

I don't come across many universes like Outlaw Star. Of course there are some, but many of them are over-saturated with devoted fans who have already explored every nook and cranny of a story's lore. In these cases, your journey's already complete before it's started. With Outlaw Star there's lots left to do.

Name:  towardstars.png
Views: 62
Size:  231.5 KB

I was actually kind of surprised that Sentinel might be closer to the Ctarl-Ctarl Empire than Earth, but it's hard to say. I know there are other maps of Toward Stars that might say more about this, and SethClanclan probably knows already as he's the true brain-box around here.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    18th October 2018 07:01 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    I had the pleasure of catching the show's initial run back on Toonami and seeing it all the way through. That was between 2nd and 3rd grade for me...we had just moved halfway across the country so we were living in a Suite-style hotel all summer and I had my own TV so I could make sure to always catch each week's episode. Never got a melancholic feeling since I finished it the first time through, but I can definitely see where you're coming from as I get that same feeling from most media that I finish nowadays.
    With Outlaw Star there's lots left to do.
    Mantis...with all the details you post about the series, you make it hurt more and more that it wasn't longer or brought back for a season 2. How long have you been running OS communities and forums for anyway? Is there a History thread or something where I could catch up on how long you've been keeping Outlaw Star alive?
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    Mantis...with all the details you post about the series, you make it hurt more and more that it wasn't longer or brought back for a season 2. How long have you been running OS communities and forums for anyway? Is there a History thread or something where I could catch up on how long you've been keeping Outlaw Star alive?
    Though I've been told that I'm modest to a fault, even today many people still contribute to the fandom across the web. Be it artwork, music videos or just recommending the series, in their own way many people have done as much as I've done for the series. I think a lot of people here (and elsewhere in the fandom as only a handful of OLS fans have found Nexus) have mixed feelings about an Outlaw Star sequel. A lot of it is nostalgic as they don't want their good memories tarnished which happens with a lot of sequels. I'm not so sure. I don't think Sword of Wind would have worked so well (Takehiko Ito later incorporated some of his ideas into Angel Links) but travelling to the Oracion system could have led to many new possibilities. It's closer to Earth and the show could have focused on new foes and allies in other territories.

I don't think there's a history thread, but I posted this a few months ago. You reminded me to check if the OSUK domain is available as I've been waiting for years. Finally, I just got the domain back as it was recently released. Thanks. Now YouTube viewers who listen to my soundtrack uploads won't be confused if they try the OSUK domain. (Now enough of my rambling!)
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"

Anime and Steam info

Last Seen
    18th October 2018 07:01 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Now YouTube viewers who listen to my soundtrack uploads won't be confused if they try the OSUK domain. (Now enough of my rambling!)
    It's funny that you mention the confusion around your OSUK page because i ran into that exact issue with the dead page maybe a year ago? I never connected the fact that you had anything to do with that. What a small world...now here i am accidentally reminding a guy i didn't know was responsible for it!
    I read the quasi-history post as well. That's more or less what I was looking for. I hope you've been doing better with your condition, but i think that's as far off-topic as i should go in this thread. I'm sure you must have made some posts in the diary/journal forum if i want to know more.
    Last edited by Zemekis; 19th June 2018 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Quoted too much of Mantis' post
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"

7. Like Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    19th October 2018 11:50 PM
    Personality
    hoticehilda
    Wong
    Interestingly enough, finishing the series finally is actually what led me here to this site. Once it was over, I wanted more. I wanted to know more about the characters, story, creator, etc. Several Google searches later, I came across this place.

The one thing that I can recall striking such a chord in me as a kid about this show was that it dared me to believe in what I wanted to accomplish. I enjoyed watching other shows back then too, but this one in particular I recall giving me that distinct feeling. As an adult oftentimes it's hard to find such inspiration. What feels like a lifetime later (20 years!...OMG), and after doing a lot of soul-searching/making some life changes over the past 3 years, I decided to return to this and watch it all the way through. I didn't watch it everyday, but for the last month - month and a half, I've tried to watch an episode or two here and there. And I'm so glad I did.

While it's true that I can never go back to being the boy that I was, I am a man now. Joy and sadness have indeed accompanied this transition. Taking a step back though and looking at the choices that led me to where I am in life, I think that I certainly let some of my greater ambitions slide. Yet, all men were once boys. And although I'm all grown up now, there's still plenty of life left in me to create the kind of future I want.

Name:  Gene_Starwind_OS.gif
Views: 20
Size:  2.87 MB

-sigh- Second post woot!

9. Like Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    13th October 2018 07:00 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    If you want more there is a SISTER SERIES in the same UNIVERSE CALLED ANGEL-LINKS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4bcVMAsdG4

11. Like Alchytect liked this post
    Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I suppose technically, Angel Links is a sequel since it takes place after Outlaw Star and in the Toward Stars universe, sort of like how Outlaw Star could be considered a sequel to Future-Retro Hero Story. There are lots of mixed feelings about Angel Links but it might be worth checking out anyway.

Anime and Steam info

13. Like TvGenestarwind29, Alchytect liked this post
    Last Seen
    19th October 2018 11:50 PM
    Personality
    hoticehilda
    Wong
    Absolutely checking this out, thanks!

I started Future-Retro Hero Story a couple days ago, haven't gotten too far into it yet though due to work but will update once I finish it.

15. Like Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Unfortunately the FRHS translation is far from complete and I can't see anything happening for the foreseeable future.

Anime and Steam info