• Apps for Investing?
  • Apps for Investing?

ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    17th December 2018 03:39 PM
    Wong

Apps for Investing?

I am very sure that most of the people here in the forums are tech-savvy. I am just wondering, are there any apps available on the PlayStore (Android) for investing in stocks? I heard about apps like Stash and IQ Option, but I am not entirely sure if it's legit or not. Can anyone shed light on this? Highly appreciated, thanks!

Last Seen
    Today 06:11 AM
    Wong
    I don't do stocks myself so I would not know. I have considered it but I heard it can be very risky which kind of put me off from it.

I didn't even know you could invest in apps but I guess you can invest in anything these days!

Last Seen
    20th January 2019 04:28 PM
    Personality
    hoticehilda
    Wong
    I actually use two investment apps myself: Stash and RobinHood.

So, each has their pros and cons, but for me the biggest pros are:

Stash - Let's you buy partial investments (as in, you don't have to buy 1 stock of NFLX (currently valued at $325.89, so buying 1 would cost that much as of the time of this writing). Instead, you can buy bits and pieces of said stock, and doing this enables those on a budget to be able to invest. It's very user friendly too! You can also setup Auto-stash, which I use weekly (you can set it bi-weekly, monthly, etc.). This lets you invest in the things you want without thinking about it, and in turn you generate a nice little savings without even realizing it. Even better if your investments went up in value!

RobinHood - The amount of live data, charts, and information about each investment is more than Stash offers, and is more than ample enough for you to decide whether or not you want to throw your money at a particular thing. With line/candlestick charts, this is made visually evident which makes it easy (I like pics!).

I personally have more experience with Stash, and can definitely say that it's a good platform for investing. RobinHood I have less experience with, but so far I have no complaints about it.

With any investing though, just make sure you do a little homework first before you jump in. I like to invest in things that interest me (aerospace, tech, gaming), so start there. Look up companies/brands you like, see how they're doing, and just learn to read charts, data, etc. https://www.wallstreetsurvivor.com is a good site for learning about investing.

I got interested in investing back in 2012, and practiced on paper for over a year before I ever actually bought anything. Not saying that's the standard for how long you should spend, that part is dependent on you. It can definitely be risky, but patience and diligence are the best teachers. There will never not be risk, but you do get better over time at minimizing it.
    If you want to grant your own wish, then you should clear your own path to it. - Okabe Rintarou

Last Seen
    9th December 2018 01:30 PM
    Wong
    I'm not tech savvy, but I've recently found a app called moneybox, not sure if it's legit or not, but I'm gonna find out. Says you put in some money each week and invested in stock I think.

Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchytect View Post
    Stash - Let's you buy partial investments (as in, you don't have to buy 1 stock of NFLX (currently valued at $325.89, so buying 1 would cost that much as of the time of this writing). Instead, you can buy bits and pieces of said stock, and doing this enables those on a budget to be able to invest. It's very user friendly too! You can also setup Auto-stash, which I use weekly (you can set it bi-weekly, monthly, etc.). This lets you invest in the things you want without thinking about it, and in turn you generate a nice little savings without even realizing it. Even better if your investments went up in value!

I personally have more experience with Stash, and can definitely say that it's a good platform for investing.
    I have heard of Stash. Do you mind if I ask a few questions?

Is it open for investors worldwide?
    I mean can someone from Asia buy shares?
    Do they accept PayPal?
    Is it truly legit?
    Have you been able to sell stocks and cash it through PayPal?

Last Seen
    20th January 2019 04:28 PM
    Personality
    hoticehilda
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by NoviceNinja View Post
    I have heard of Stash. Do you mind if I ask a few questions?

Is it open for investors worldwide?
    I mean can someone from Asia buy shares?
    Do they accept PayPal?
    Is it truly legit?
    Have you been able to sell stocks and cash it through PayPal?

Alright, so here we go:

As far as being worldwide, I'm not entirely sure if it's globally accepted or not.
    However, I can vouch for the fact that:
    1) It does accept Paypal, so you're money transfers to and from are instant.
    2) It is definitely legit. I've deposited/withdrawn money from it several times over the past couple of years. There is a delay when you first get started. It's part of their built-in fraud/liability protection, but once you make an initial investment, I believe there is a waiting period (like a week or so) before you can withdraw it again. That's ONLY when you start your account though. After that you're good.
    And yeah, to answer the last question, you can initiate a sell on Stock A, but keep in mind if you sell on a weekend, or after hours during the week, the sell WILL NOT GO THROUGH until the market opens again. You should however get the value at the time of sale though, so you won't lose any money if, say, you sell on a Saturday at 3:30PM and the stock bombs by Monday. They just make you wait til the market opens to see it
    If you want to grant your own wish, then you should clear your own path to it. - Okabe Rintarou

Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchytect View Post
    Alright, so here we go:

As far as being worldwide, I'm not entirely sure if it's globally accepted or not.
    However, I can vouch for the fact that:
    1) It does accept Paypal, so you're money transfers to and from are instant.
    2) It is definitely legit. I've deposited/withdrawn money from it several times over the past couple of years. There is a delay when you first get started. It's part of their built-in fraud/liability protection, but once you make an initial investment, I believe there is a waiting period (like a week or so) before you can withdraw it again. That's ONLY when you start your account though. After that you're good.
    And yeah, to answer the last question, you can initiate a sell on Stock A, but keep in mind if you sell on a weekend, or after hours during the week, the sell WILL NOT GO THROUGH until the market opens again. You should however get the value at the time of sale though, so you won't lose any money if, say, you sell on a Saturday at 3:30PM and the stock bombs by Monday. They just make you wait til the market opens to see it

I thank you for taking the time to answer my inquiries. I highly appreciate it. I'll do more research and see if it's available for us (people who live outside the US).

Once again, thanks. Until then, take care.