ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 09:15 PM
    Wong

Should farming/horticulture bet taught in school?

I am one of those people who believes that certain life skills should be taught to kids and teens in school over other things they learn. One of them would be farming and general horticulture. Learning how to grow food, care for plants, and raise livestock should be something everyone has some basic knowledge on. If it ever came down to it and the internet was no more and we had to fend for ourselves, most people wouldn't know the first thing about any of this. I am teaching myself and will be doing a garden come spring. I was going to start one this past spring but the seeds I have aren't any good and I didn't have the space to put one in my yard. I'm looking forward to it.

Do you think this kind of thing should be taught to kids and teens, at least on some basic level?

2. Like LtSurge, TheGhostOfSabotage liked this post
    Last Seen
    9th December 2018 02:30 PM
    Wong
    At least the basic farm plot.

4. Agree KorinKitty agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    9th October 2018 08:23 AM
    Personality
    twilightsuzuka
    Wong
    Well I definitely think that the option to learn something useful like this should exist. A class on the basics.
    Even in ye olden times, though, not everyone was a farmer. That is how the economy works: people of various proclivities, talents and professions offer each other their services to make life easier for everyone.

So, I'd expand your idea into Trades. At earlier ages, offer kids the means to learn carpentry, metalworking, and so forth.

But... among all of it, I would strongly suggest they learn to connect with each other, to seek peaceful resolutions to disputes, to work together to solve problems and bond.
    Survival and progress of the species comes down to our ability to care for each other, to trust each other, to go beyond our animalistic impulses.

In the event of a true disaster, only the strongest communities will survive. Safety in numbers, as a team.

6. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 01:43 AM
    Personality
    harrymacdougall
    Wong
    Actually it is in France; it's called argricultural highschools.
    Never overestimate mankind.

8. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by S1LVERST@R35 View Post
    That is amazing. When I was still in school we only had optional classes be it woodworking and home economics. I learned next to nothing in either one. I can't even remember what I did in either of those classes.

Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by LtSurge View Post
    Well I definitely think that the option to learn something useful like this should exist. A class on the basics.
    Even in ye olden times, though, not everyone was a farmer. That is how the economy works: people of various proclivities, talents and professions offer each other their services to make life easier for everyone.

So, I'd expand your idea into Trades. At earlier ages, offer kids the means to learn carpentry, metalworking, and so forth.

But... among all of it, I would strongly suggest they learn to connect with each other, to seek peaceful resolutions to disputes, to work together to solve problems and bond.
    Survival and progress of the species comes down to our ability to care for each other, to trust each other, to go beyond our animalistic impulses.

In the event of a true disaster, only the strongest communities will survive. Safety in numbers, as a team.
    You can actually tie in team work with something like this. Have small groups work together to grow plants and understand how teamwork works for better survival and general peace. So much of today's world focuses on dividing people by political belief, gender, income class, color, etc. and they all have labels for everything. How about we just be humans and learn to work together and learn together again? That'd be nice.

Last Seen
    9th December 2018 12:41 PM
    Wong
    I do think so because farming and horticulture are useful life skills that should be taught in school. In my opinion skills like that can be used by people to augment their income and could be a good fallback.

Last Seen
    Yesterday 09:14 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by S1LVERST@R35 View Post
    Something like this would be good. I don't know if it's appropriate for general education but if we let students specialize a bit like in Europe that could be a good way to work it in.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"

Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Last Seen
    8th December 2018 05:20 PM
    Personality
    hoticehilda
    Wong
    Absolutely! Teaching farming, renewable energy, martial arts, money/time management, business plan writing, basic accounting/law should be taught early. Otherwise we doom 90% of them to fall into the average fold because they didn't get to start early with whatever it is they want to work on with their life. Because most kids upon graduating high school...man they don't know yet what they want to do. All they've done is go through the motions and do homework for studies they could care less about, then they get average jobs. It's sad, and the cycle will continue until someone with some serious clout says stop it.
    If you want to grant your own wish, then you should clear your own path to it. - Okabe Rintarou

14. Like Zemekis liked this post