Thread: Riot Games Sued

ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 06:37 AM
    Wong

Riot Games Sued

I spotted a story on PC Gamer about this gaming company being sued over gender discrimination.
    Here is the story : https://www.pcgamer.com/riot-games-s...iscrimination/

Now what I would like to know... How does this kind of thing happen for a while without anyone being offended and then suddenly, it becomes a huge issue? Did some of the people who thought it was funny suddenly become offended or did one or two people become offended and it just evolved?

I won't pretend I know what it is like to work at a place like this but crude humor seems to be a thing with guys. I have spent enough time online to see it. This likely won't correct anything. I have seen guys get a lot worse after things like this happen actually.

Last Seen
    Today 10:04 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I heard of this one, though I didn't look into it. The problem is that everything is a "huge issue" nowadays. As much as I usually try to ignore this character nowadays, this quote sums up the situation:

I have some mixed feelings over this case. If the woman's coworkers were sending her dick pics, yeah, that is harassment. But actually using the word "dick" in general conversation isn't offensive in my opinion. While it might not be typical of a professional environment, in the end it's banter. I don't think all of this solely boils down to sexism. Primarily it should just be seen as people being assholes. Men can be assholes in a male-dominated environment, but women can too. Or men can be assholes to other men.

"Indeed, Plaintiff [Jessica] Negron's former supervisor, Geoff Chandler, once told her that 'diversity should not be a focal point of the design of Riot Games' products because gaming culture is the last remaining safe-haven for white teen boys.'"
    I don't see the problem here. Riot Games is well within its right to not have "diversity" a part of its business strategies. Why it's in a lawsuit is beyond me. There's nothing illegal about that. Not yet anyway.

The woman complained about Riot Games hiring "core gamers", in other words those who are very into games and usually male. Well fucking duh, it's a game company. That has nothing to do with gender. Also, her complaint about getting a job an ex-employee had, but her receiving a lower pay seems a bit silly without strong evidence or facts. While the lower pay may be a fact, the previous employee may have been more qualified. After all, he left his job so he may have been considerably ahead of her beginner pay grade because of his level of experience. But all I can see is that she's trying to make it about gender.

My two pennies' worth.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

3. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Today 06:37 AM
    Wong
    It seems like everything is over gender. There is no gender war in developed countries. Yes, there are individuals who abuse women or who abuse men but there are PLENTY of laws set in place to protect women in the work space. I don't understand any of this anymore. lol