ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 03:21 AM
    Wong

Favorite board games or card games?

I know some people still play them. While I don't do it often, I do still play a few myself. I enjoy playing UNO, Scrabble, Monopoly, Battle Ships, and a few others. I would like to get a few new ones in the next few weeks. My mother is always wanting to play the same crappy game every Christmas and I want to spice things up.

Last Seen
    Yesterday 04:20 PM
    Wong
    We (my friends) used to play scrabble all the time when we were growing up. It's a great game to stimulate the mind, though might be boring sometimes unless you also do something else on the side while playing like watching a movie or drinking.

3. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    11th December 2018 10:40 PM
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    The board games I tend to play are the kind of big boxes that you see at a game cafe, almost like proper rpgs/strategies than family board games, so I dunno if many would fit the criteria. (I tried to play one with my family and my mum was having none of it. She just wanted to go back to checkers).

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a pretty fun game. Doesn't take too long either. You and other players wanter around a procedurally generated mansion collecting weapons and items, trying to avoid dangers until the time comes when the traitor is revealed (even they don't know they're the traitor til the time) and both sides are given opposing objectives. Last time I played I became the traitor and others tried to stop me by blocking me in and shooting me but I managed to get the demonic book and complete the ritual to summon the demon lord who i then played as and slaughtered the rest of the players who were completely underprepared for that kinda fight.

Twilight Imperium was moderatly fun. It's a large space strategy game where you build fleets, capture planets and try to outplay your opponents for control of the system. I played as the insectoid warring race whose entire quirk was that they were better at combat than the other races. I went to war with the human player as we were eager to get a Starship Troopers situation on. I made a deal with him when it came to us nearly pitting our whole armies against one another on a turn just to stop each other from destroying the other, but I completely outplayed him on my last turn and left him at my mercy essentially which he actually found fun.
    Then I decided that I didn't want to kill him so early, so I kept him there and fought the player who normally won everytime and pretty much destroyed him to the last man and he claimed that if he went out of the game now he'd pack up the board game and go home (he owned the board game which he paid a lot for so we could play it) and so I didn't finish him off. Then I realized the only way I can win with this race is to systematically destroy the other players which I didn't want to do, so for the rest of the game I sort of just built up a big army and did nothing with it. Lo and behold that player won in the end by a landslide and I came in last.
    Kind of ruined the experience for me.
    As much fun as it is each player having their own bonus, as it turns out that's the games crutch and whatever you play as the only real way to win is play one way and if you don't, you lose. Kind of takes the fun out of the strategy.

Dead of Winter was a pretty cool zombie survival board game though I barely remember it. I played it a while ago and we didn't get to finish it.

Some that are more down your alley might be:

Sheriff of Nottingham which is a game where each player takes turns being the sheriff while the others must sell goods from their hand of cards. They put the cards in a bag for sale, some of which are regular goods, but you can sneak in contraband which is worth much more.
    The sheriff then inspects these bags (he can't see what's in them until he makes a decision). They may let them pass and the players get the money for everythin in the bag or he can declare that they probably have contraband in. If they find contraband, then the player is fined. If the sheriff was mistaken then the sheriff must pay the player compensation and the player still gets paid for their goods anyways. The sheriff can also make deals with the players. Sometimes he will follow through, but sometimes he'll trip them up and go 'aha so you do have contraband in here' and try to fine you (or maybe you can double whammy him by making a deal only for him to open it up and find that it was all just cheese.

Then there are games like 'Secret Hitler' and 'The Resistance' which are all about players who are secretly traitors/baddies and the goodguys have to try and figure it out while completing objectives who the baddies will sabotage. So far I have yet to lose at Secret Hitler (I will one day) and I think I have lost most of my resistance games.
    The only problem with traitor games is that with less players it's far less fun. If you're just playing with 2 or more people then there's no point. It really needs quite a few.

Another is Coup, a card game where you are given different world leader types who all have different abilities that interact with one another. The thing is you can't see who the other players have (and there are duplicates. Two of each, I think). So you can claim to use one of the leaders abilities even if you don't have him.
    The other players can call you out on it (I can't remember the repurcussions) or let you be since they run the risk of calling your bluff when you really have the card.
    You can of course keep using all the powers in the game and hoping the other players will only realize and try to call you out on a turn when you are using a card actually in your possession. You can also trade out your leaders for different leaders.
    The players can use money they collect to assassinate other players (there's also an assassin leader card) and there are abilities that stop this, I believe.
    The last player standing is the winner, essentially.

If people like rpgs and board games I'd also reccomend DnD and other pen and paper rpgs. Not really a board game, but it's still a lot of fun with the right friends.

5. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Today 07:36 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Not a huge board game fan. One that I remember really liking was Hero Quest.

Name:  pic338410.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  189.9 KB

It was basically Dungeons and Dragons for those who didn't want to waste time building a character. I used to play this with my brothers all the time when I was little. Being a fan of Conan, I always stuck with the barbarian. There was even a cheesy commercial for it which, and I'm embarrassed to admit it, the goblin in that commercial used to scare me when I was little.

7. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 05:48 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I've got to admit, I do feel a little jealous of those who have been able to play so many board games. It was one of my favourite things as a kid, but with family I was only able to play the usual ones like Monopoly. I still never got bored of it and ended up making my own board game when I was seven or eight years old... which nobody else got to play, but hell, it was fun! I bet an Outlaw Star board game could really kick ass.

As for card games, when I was a kid I loved Pokémon cards but I never got to play as nobody else seemed to be interested in that. Other kids just wanted to collect so that's what I did too. Well, that's until around 2010/2011 when I joined a card club at university. I finally found my dusty old Pokémon cards again and got some more on eBay. I was only interested in playing using the original 151 Pokémon however. I remember regularly battling a girl at the club and it was just relaxed and fun. Then I played against this giant douche who was boasting about how amazing his deck was. I mean Jesus, it's just fucking Pokémon cards. Want a gold star?

This all takes me back to when I was probably eleven years old and I blew all of my savings on an ultra-rare Dark Raichu card. The next day I got it in a booster pack.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

9. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctarl-Ctarl Empire View Post
    The board games I tend to play are the kind of big boxes that you see at a game cafe, almost like proper rpgs/strategies than family board games, so I dunno if many would fit the criteria. (I tried to play one with my family and my mum was having none of it. She just wanted to go back to checkers).

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a pretty fun game. Doesn't take too long either. You and other players wanter around a procedurally generated mansion collecting weapons and items, trying to avoid dangers until the time comes when the traitor is revealed (even they don't know they're the traitor til the time) and both sides are given opposing objectives. Last time I played I became the traitor and others tried to stop me by blocking me in and shooting me but I managed to get the demonic book and complete the ritual to summon the demon lord who i then played as and slaughtered the rest of the players who were completely underprepared for that kinda fight.

Twilight Imperium was moderatly fun. It's a large space strategy game where you build fleets, capture planets and try to outplay your opponents for control of the system. I played as the insectoid warring race whose entire quirk was that they were better at combat than the other races. I went to war with the human player as we were eager to get a Starship Troopers situation on. I made a deal with him when it came to us nearly pitting our whole armies against one another on a turn just to stop each other from destroying the other, but I completely outplayed him on my last turn and left him at my mercy essentially which he actually found fun.
    Then I decided that I didn't want to kill him so early, so I kept him there and fought the player who normally won everytime and pretty much destroyed him to the last man and he claimed that if he went out of the game now he'd pack up the board game and go home (he owned the board game which he paid a lot for so we could play it) and so I didn't finish him off. Then I realized the only way I can win with this race is to systematically destroy the other players which I didn't want to do, so for the rest of the game I sort of just built up a big army and did nothing with it. Lo and behold that player won in the end by a landslide and I came in last.
    Kind of ruined the experience for me.
    As much fun as it is each player having their own bonus, as it turns out that's the games crutch and whatever you play as the only real way to win is play one way and if you don't, you lose. Kind of takes the fun out of the strategy.

Dead of Winter was a pretty cool zombie survival board game though I barely remember it. I played it a while ago and we didn't get to finish it.

Some that are more down your alley might be:

Sheriff of Nottingham which is a game where each player takes turns being the sheriff while the others must sell goods from their hand of cards. They put the cards in a bag for sale, some of which are regular goods, but you can sneak in contraband which is worth much more.
    The sheriff then inspects these bags (he can't see what's in them until he makes a decision). They may let them pass and the players get the money for everythin in the bag or he can declare that they probably have contraband in. If they find contraband, then the player is fined. If the sheriff was mistaken then the sheriff must pay the player compensation and the player still gets paid for their goods anyways. The sheriff can also make deals with the players. Sometimes he will follow through, but sometimes he'll trip them up and go 'aha so you do have contraband in here' and try to fine you (or maybe you can double whammy him by making a deal only for him to open it up and find that it was all just cheese.

Then there are games like 'Secret Hitler' and 'The Resistance' which are all about players who are secretly traitors/baddies and the goodguys have to try and figure it out while completing objectives who the baddies will sabotage. So far I have yet to lose at Secret Hitler (I will one day) and I think I have lost most of my resistance games.
    The only problem with traitor games is that with less players it's far less fun. If you're just playing with 2 or more people then there's no point. It really needs quite a few.

Another is Coup, a card game where you are given different world leader types who all have different abilities that interact with one another. The thing is you can't see who the other players have (and there are duplicates. Two of each, I think). So you can claim to use one of the leaders abilities even if you don't have him.
    The other players can call you out on it (I can't remember the repurcussions) or let you be since they run the risk of calling your bluff when you really have the card.
    You can of course keep using all the powers in the game and hoping the other players will only realize and try to call you out on a turn when you are using a card actually in your possession. You can also trade out your leaders for different leaders.
    The players can use money they collect to assassinate other players (there's also an assassin leader card) and there are abilities that stop this, I believe.
    The last player standing is the winner, essentially.

If people like rpgs and board games I'd also reccomend DnD and other pen and paper rpgs. Not really a board game, but it's still a lot of fun with the right friends.
    I have always wanted to give DnD a go but I don't know anyone with the patience or creativity to play it. It sounds like a lot of fun though. I have never played a true RPG board game either.

Last Seen
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I've got to admit, I do feel a little jealous of those who have been able to play so many board games. It was one of my favourite things as a kid, but with family I was only able to play the usual ones like Monopoly. I still never got bored of it and ended up making my own board game when I was seven or eight years old... which nobody else got to play, but hell, it was fun! I bet an Outlaw Star board game could really kick ass.

As for card games, when I was a kid I loved Pokémon cards but I never got to play as nobody else seemed to be interested in that. Other kids just wanted to collect so that's what I did too. Well, that's until around 2010/2011 when I joined a card club at university. I finally found my dusty old Pokémon cards again and got some more on eBay. I was only interested in playing using the original 151 Pokémon however. I remember regularly battling a girl at the club and it was just relaxed and fun. Then I played against this giant douche who was boasting about how amazing his deck was. I mean Jesus, it's just fucking Pokémon cards. Want a gold star?

This all takes me back to when I was probably eleven years old and I blew all of my savings on an ultra-rare Dark Raichu card. The next day I got it in a booster pack.
    I used to may board games with my two cousins. They were 8 and 9 at the time. They used to BEG me to come over and make them. It was indeed a lot of fun. I loved arts and crafts and they got a kick out of making the rules and such. I think someone should make a blank board with everything open to make whatever you want. It would make a killing for kids like this. I did it as well when I was a child

12. Like Mantis liked this post
    Last Seen
    15th December 2018 11:15 PM
    Wong
    When it comes to board games, Chess, Scrabble and monopoly are my favorites. I never did stop playing chess, I have several games downloaded in my phones and tablets. And when the opportunity arises I would play chess with friends, neighbors and distant relatives. I also like card games. I play poker and baccarat regularly for leisure and enjoyment. In my teens, I also played a lot of old TSR D&D and Advanced D&D games. The boards and books were always on sale back then and I bought a lot. I and my schoolmates in highschool would play for long hours just to finish a campaign. I played as a Paladin but after highschool there was a lack of players so I have to stop playing it. In those days it was played using a crude self-made map and character tokens, several special dices that dictates your fate and a vivid imagination. I miss those days.

Last Seen
    Today 08:12 AM
    Personality
    harrymacdougall
    Wong
    Fav board game : Chess.
    Fav card game : French Tarot. Comes from XVIth century, the traditionnal rule is the three players one from 1655, but today the usual rule is the four players one. There is also a five players rule.The word <<tarot>> is a bastard French/Italian word as the many games you call tarot and the oldest card games in history come from those two countries.
    And if i say french tarot, it's beause there are a lot of different tarot games.
    Never overestimate mankind.

Last Seen
    9th December 2018 02:30 PM
    Wong
    I always like a good game of solitaire. Name:  IMG_20181207_084000928.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  48.9 KB