• Any experiences being tracked online?

ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 05:37 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong

Any experiences being tracked online?

I'm not referring to some weirdo hunting down your name/address, I'm referring to super specifically targeted advertisements. There are even some videos on YouTube showing people talking near their phones and the ads shown in their browser react accordingly despite manufacturers and software devs stating that kind of listening doesn't happen.

This idea came to me as I googled "Outlaw Star Nexus" yesterday morning and got this:

Any experiences being tracked online?-outlawnexus-png

I'm....not even sure what it is or what it is supposed to hold. The Amazon page is pretty vague but since I was at work I didn't do much digging. What is your creepiest/funniest experience with something like this?
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Last Seen
    Today 12:19 AM
    Wong
    Are you on windows? They have a built in tailoring system that is meant to show you ads according to what you like. You can turn it off. I keep mine off and I get the most random ads when I see them lol

Last Seen
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    Are you on windows? They have a built in tailoring system that is meant to show you ads according to what you like. You can turn it off. I keep mine off and I get the most random ads when I see them lol
    Yeah, I'm on Windows but I turned all that off as well. Microsoft isn't tracking me according to those settings (that I know of), but my browser is still collecting cookies and trackers and such each browsing session until they purge when I close the application.

I didn't mean for this to be a 'how do I avoid tracking' sort of thing, it was more like what was a really good/funny/eerily specific targeted ad you've received question.

Last Seen
    4th May 2019 11:13 PM
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    I started using udemy and now i get all those annoying udemy ads

"Making games is easier than you think

y'know, you should take the [insert any game related course name here] course on udemy."

It's the same every single time.

Last Seen
    Today 06:11 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    This idea came to me as I googled "Outlaw Star Nexus" yesterday morning and got this:

Any experiences being tracked online?-outlawnexus-png

I'm....not even sure what it is or what it is supposed to hold.
    Oh snap! You found my secret trunk. I totally do not store any women in any shape or form in there.

To be honest I think that result is just a response to keywords. After all you did search for Outlaw Star Nexus. Similar to Ctarl-Ctarl Empire I use Udemy myself and I'm also a member of some game dev courses, so I totally understand any frustration from game design ads. I get them all the time, especially on YouTube. The Udemy ads are far less annoying than Grammarly, Wish or—god forbid—TikTok ads, though, so I don't see targeted advertising as inherently bad.

As for amusing targeted ads, I'm not sure, but I feel like they're taking the piss sometimes. I keep getting Grammarly ads, probably because I often search for idioms, synonyms, or occasionally questions relating to English. Clearly I'm fluent and I don't need the plugin. Out of curiosity I installed the shopping app Wish on my phone and ordered a few things. It's okay. Products are cheap yet more expensive than, say, AliExpress. Somehow my installation of that app must have been tracked and I keep getting Wish ads on YouTube too. They're so annoying I've uninstalled it, but yes, I keep getting them.

Fortunately I found a solution for my Android phone. Now only does it skip advertisements, but NewPipe also allows you to listen to YouTube videos with the screen turned off which is a feature only officially supported with a paid subscription. So if you watch a lot of YouTube on your phone and you're tired of seeing targeted ads on that I highly recommend NewPipe. You'll need to install F-Droid (obviously Google wouldn't allow a workaround for their own service on Google Play) but it's dead easy.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    To be honest I think that result is just a response to keywords.
    In line with my response to Korin above, I know why this is happening. I just wanted to know if anyone had any funny experiences with it like the weirdo product I was advertised recently. For example, dragon dildos or Tenga eggs showing up in a banner ad while at work or something of the sort.

Speaking of Tenga, they sell these drinks called a "Tenga Night Charge" which is basically just an energy drink but is supposedly meant to get you revved up for nighttime activity. I bought a few just to use as energy drinks, as I was off to the arcade with friends immediately after. Cut forward 30 minutes to me standing near an Initial D arcade machine drinking sexual stimulant drinks menacingly while all the local Japanese folks gave me bad looks, hahahaha.

Last Seen
    Today 12:19 AM
    Wong
    One thing I did notice the other day was that I only somewhat get tracked for ads. I think it depends on what they are and where they are. I will see more generic ads than ones actually targeting me.

Last Seen
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    One thing I did notice the other day was that I only somewhat get tracked for ads. I think it depends on what they are and where they are. I will see more generic ads than ones actually targeting me.
    Is your browser set to automatically delete cookies? Mine is set to do so at the end of my session, so while I'm using the same browser window ads begin getting more and more targeted, but if i close/re-open without logging into Google, they remain random.

Last Seen
    Today 06:11 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    In line with my response to Korin above, I know why this is happening. I just wanted to know if anyone had any funny experiences with it like the weirdo product I was advertised recently. For example, dragon dildos or Tenga eggs showing up in a banner ad while at work or something of the sort.
    That probably is due to your Google account being signed in at work, and Google picking up on the kinds of videos (or other freakish searches) you watch at home. Not pointing the finger or anything, but I doubt they'd pay to purposely send these kinds of advertisements to any old rando.

Back to the topic at hand...

Cookies, schmuckies. I'm not paranoid about those kinds of things. Sometimes I'll clean up my cookies if there's a problem but the vast majority of cookies aren't malicious. Yes, they can be used for targeted advertising (though in your example above it was linked to your Google account) but if I'm going to be shown ads, so long as they're not irritating (like Grammarly for example) I'd rather be shown ads that are relevant to me than ones that are not.

For instance, today I saw an advertisement for the new Ace Attorney Trilogy collection which is something I've really wanted for a long time. I've been meaning to find out its release date for Steam and now it's on the Steam Store I pre-ordered it. (Something I very rarely do but I already know Phoenix Wright is fantastic.) That's targeted advertising done right.

I'm not sure why it's a big deal. Would you rather see My Little Pony ads or gaming ads?
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    I am realize now that my OP was very poorly worded, because I keep getting explanations as to why this happens when the OP asks for funny/creepy experiences.

I know why this is happening. I just wanted to know if anyone had any funny experiences with it
    I thought the fact that I found a product called an Outlaw Nexus was pretty goofy. Does anyone have anything like that to share? I should have been more specific.