• Any predictions for Game of the Year 2019?
  • Any predictions for Game of the Year 2019?

ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    24th March 2019 02:19 AM
    Wong

Any predictions for Game of the Year 2019?

I know it is very soon to say for sure but do you have any predictions as to which game will take the cake?

I was shocked that God of War won this year because there was so much build up for Red Dead Redemption 2. It is hard to believe that Rockstar got beat out. lol

Last Seen
    Today 12:47 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Well, I don't know what the gaming publications are going to pick as game of the year but I can tell you that 2019 is the year that Hideaki Itsuno returns to save video games.

Devil May Cry 5 is gearing up to be awesome. I'm planning on replaying the DMC games for the next few months to prepare myself for DMC5. I'd say Doom Eternal as well but that hasn't been given an official release date yet so it's unknown if it's even coming out in 2019.

3. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 07:47 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Perhaps DMC5, but it will probably go t some other annualized Shooter/MOBA title.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Last Seen
    Yesterday 08:00 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Trying not to be "that guy", but I don't tend to follow Game of the Year(s) lately. It used to be pretty cool thing but seems far more biased these days. I find myself getting more from indie games that are overlooked.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

6. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    9th March 2019 01:54 PM
    Personality
    ronaldmacdougall
    Wong
    TBF, last year did have some genuinly high quality Triple-A games (GOW, RDR2, Spiderman being the most well known ones).

This year? I'm just waiting on Animal Crossing for Switch.
    Any predictions for Game of the Year 2019?-animal-crossing-png

I hope KH3 is good though.

I do get annoyed at people who hate on big games just because they get a lot of undeserved attention (mainly the ones who use terms like oscar-bait or claim that games that try to be like movies aren't real games), but at the same time I understand why those games might not appeal to some. But imo there will always be a place for big cinematic adventures in gaming.

If we're specifically talking about Game of the Year Awards from The Game Awards (formerly the spike awards) if you look at the past decade every single title has been a Triple-A title, bar Telltale: The Walking Dead and besides that and Overwatch, every single GOTY from the past 8 years has been a huge open world adventure game (with varying levels of linearity, mostly GOW which has a sort of open world but not in the traditional sense).
    I don't see this trend ending any time soon even though I personally tire of open worlds.

And like Mantis said, I do wish Indie titles would get a bigger presence. The scene is growing rapidly and the line between small and big developer is blurring (these days you can probably find studios with numbers ranging anywhere from 1 guy to the hundreds. Where specifically do you cross the line?) and there is a ton of absolutely quality content coming out from small developers.

GOTY is nice to look at and it's probably really swell for the guys who are actually competing (I'm happy for them, they put their hearts into these things, it's nice to celebrate it) but at the same time I never follow it seriously. The results don't mean all that much to me.

Last Seen
    Yesterday 07:47 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Trying not to be "that guy", but I don't tend to follow Game of the Year(s) lately. It used to be pretty cool thing but seems far more biased these days. I find myself getting more from indie games that are overlooked.
    You might be "that guy" but i'm "that grandpa" as far as games go. I sit on the porch shaking my cane at all these 'awards' and such. I've actually never followed any game awards show, although I do discover which game won when I see "GOTY Edition" at the store, or when I hear about it on a Podcast. It's totally fair to get more out of indie games. However, the way I approach stuff isn't fair by just avoiding newer stuff altogether. Change sucks.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers