• Brave Fencer Musashi

ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 03:54 PM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong

Brave Fencer Musashi

This is probably a bad idea and nobody will engage with me on this topic, but do any of y'all remember Brave Fencer Musashi? It's an action/RPG by Squaresoft from 1998 that was somewhat intended to be their response to the new (at the time) 3D Zelda games. I've started it so many times but never finished it, I'm currently in the process of fixing that.

Brave Fencer Musashi-tumblr_mb82hnhd8z1qb1m9to1_r1_500-gif

There's a lot to like about the game, from the real-time clock to finding secrets, rescuing villagers who affect your game to just the outright charm and charisma this game oozes. It's got this campy 90's dialogue that I love, and it's mostly voiced which is surprising for a Square game of that era. I'm hoping somebody else has played it so we can chat.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Last Seen
    Today 05:28 AM
    Wong
    I never heard of it nor played it and I played TONS of 90's games. What system was this on? I could probably find a rom for it and check it out. Sounds interesting.

Last Seen
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    It was on the Playstation 1, you can definitely find the files if you know where to look. Of course i need to follow the forum rules and stop that topic right there, haha.

It's really charming, i think you'd enjoy it. The game takes place in a medieval setting, but there is a very out of place comic book shop in the town that sells action figures of the enemies you defeat. It's sort of like the Mother series in its quirkyness, but a lot more grounded in reality.

The dialogue is where this game shines. Reading the descriptions of items and the banter between bad guys are so fun.

Edit: Let me know if you play any! I'd love to discuss your progress or help out if you get stuck. The game can be a bit obtuse at one point or another, although online guides will be more than sufficient.

Last Seen
    Today 05:44 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    This might get me some hate since I've never been a big fan of square. The only game that I was really ever crazy for that was made by them was Bushido Blade. However, I remember my brother playing this wayback in the day and eventually I got around to playing it and found it enjoyable. I think what made me like it was the combat was more freeform and not turn based (A big reason why I'm not a huge fan of JRPGs). I also found the music to be very well done too.

I wish I had more to say but I didn't play it as much as my brother did. I'd be interested in revisiting it again. Just have to either track down an old copy or find a rom.

Last Seen
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    not a huge fan of JRPGs
    Brave Fencer Musashi-1546430741413-jpg
    Brave Fencer Musashi-1547748663561-png