ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 02:01 AM
    Wong

Will Social Media be replaced by forums?

Before the massive boom of Facebook and Twitter and the less popular Myspace and those other ones I can't remember (lol), most people communicated online through forums like this one. Some would be a part of several forums, others would just stick to one and treat it like a "home online".

I got to thinking about all the negative stuff with social media happening the last few years. From deleting content to outright banning people on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube without any violation of any rules... Do you think people will eventually get fed up and revert back to forums?

I never got into Facebook and I seldom use Twitter. I prefer forums myself.

2. Like Serena Majors liked this post
    Last Seen
    30th January 2019 07:30 PM
    Wong
    I hope we do go back to forums. They were fun at first but now, people are just mean. I was always taught "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." People need to apply this lesson to online posts and comments as well.

The only reason why I have Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts is because I have to for work.

4. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 08:56 PM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    I'd enjoy a return of forums to the limelight. They don't foster the same kind of narcissism you find on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and all that. Everyone's anonymous, and people aren't caught up trying to outdo each other. These little niche communities spring up in forums, just like our own on the Nexus. It makes me happy that people are still into this kind of communication, where we can chill out and relax, even if it's only a few of us who are active at a time. We don't need to keep up with the Joneses, y'know?
    A boy has the right to dream. There are endless possibilities stretched out before him....

6. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Today 02:14 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Perhaps if there was a real-life rewind button I could see this happening. Unfortunately I don't predict a replacement. Social media will probably continue being a 'thing' for the foreseeable future. Now Instagram is the most popular social media platform and it doesn't seem like that long ago when it started gaining traction. It's only a matter of time until Instagram is dethroned by another. They might be different in many ways, but they all share one thing in common: instant gratification.

You don't really have to do much on these social media platforms. Twitter's tweets have low character counts. Though it was considered by many a limitation, it relied on this to gain popularity. Quick and easy; it'd take you less than a minute to write an update that might gain hundreds of likes or retweets. That limitation was eventually reduced but it's still quite low.

Facebook is more "social" than Twitter, but they can be used similarly: Take photo, write a few words, post, and in your narcissistic pursuit for likes... just wait. Do nothing. Same story with Instagram or Snapchat. It's all about instant gratification. There are even services that provide likes for a fee, and they've made millions.

Conversely, forums are difficult. You actually have to write a paragraph sometimes. That's rough, right? Forums will continue to be a niche when faced against social media giants because most people just don't want to put in the effort to use a forum. As long as more social media sites and apps come along every few years people will keep using them. I'd love to see forums make a full return but I think that's about as likely as Earth being flat.

I've met great people through this forum and other forums too, but let's face the fact that we're now a minority and that will probably never change...

Name:  weliveinaforum.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  114.1 KB
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

8. Like KorinKitty liked this post
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 02:01 AM
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Perhaps if there was a real-life rewind button I could see this happening. Unfortunately I don't predict a replacement. Social media will probably continue being a 'thing' for the foreseeable future. Now Instagram is the most popular social media platform and it doesn't seem like that long ago when it started gaining traction. It's only a matter of time until Instagram is dethroned by another. They might be different in many ways, but they all share one thing in common: instant gratification.

You don't really have to do much on these social media platforms. Twitter's tweets have low character counts. Though it was considered by many a limitation, it relied on this to gain popularity. Quick and easy; it'd take you less than a minute to write an update that might gain hundreds of likes or retweets. That limitation was eventually reduced but it's still quite low.

Facebook is more "social" than Twitter, but they can be used similarly: Take photo, write a few words, post, and in your narcissistic pursuit for likes... just wait. Do nothing. Same story with Instagram or Snapchat. It's all about instant gratification. There are even services that provide likes for a fee, and they've made millions.

Conversely, forums are difficult. You actually have to write a paragraph sometimes. That's rough, right? Forums will continue to be a niche when faced against social media giants because most people just don't want to put in the effort to use a forum. As long as more social media sites and apps come along every few years people will keep using them. I'd love to see forums make a full return but I think that's about as likely as Earth being flat.

I've met great people through this forum and other forums too, but let's face the fact that we're now a minority and that will probably never change...

Name:  weliveinaforum.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  114.1 KB
    I am actually a part of several forums and most people on said forums seldom use social media. I myself am using it less and less. I just can't be bothered. I would much rather connect with people over joined interests then read about people complaining over Trump, bashing people who don't agree with them, or spewing a bunch of self-emotional one liners to impress people who don't give a crap about them. Maybe I have always been anti-social media. I just prefer social networking (niche forums and online social gatherings).

10. Agree Mantis, OutlawBard19 agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    18th February 2019 04:28 AM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    I am actually a part of several forums and most people on said forums seldom use social media. I myself am using it less and less. I just can't be bothered. I would much rather connect with people over joined interests then read about people complaining over Trump, bashing people who don't agree with them, or spewing a bunch of self-emotional one liners to impress people who don't give a crap about them. Maybe I have always been anti-social media. I just prefer social networking (niche forums and online social gatherings).
    Younger people are using social media less and less, but it's popularity is being maintained by all the Moms and Aunts who LIVE on those sites. I haven't been on Facebook in months, but I know my 55 y/o aunt posts at least 20 things per day.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Last Seen
    Today 02:14 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I was looking at some analytics. While older people are taking over Facebook, the majority of users are below middle-aged.

Instagram, obviously dominated by millennials and mostly girls, with the older audiences barely making up over 20%.

Twitter is mostly used by millennials. It does have its share of middle-aged users though, but not nearly to the extent Facebook has. Gender is nearly an equal split but there's slightly more men.

Interestingly (despite not really being a social network), YouTube is mostly used by 30-year-old boomers to middle-aged. Only a fraction are children, which is mind-blowing when you look at the comment sections. Most YouTube users are men.

Unsurprisingly, Snapchat is dominated by millennials, with 2/3 of users being female. In fact, only around 15% of users are in their thirties or older.

So there you have it. Younger people aren't leaving social networks any time soon. Any older Outlaw Star fans wanna join?

Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    18th February 2019 04:28 AM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers