ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 03:43 AM
    Wong

Is there such a thing as stock shares in video games?

I wondered this but never actually seen anyone talk about it anywhere.

Like if a group of devs decide to make a game and can't afford it, has there ever been a case where people can invest money to get revenue when the game is complete and selling?

Last Seen
    18th February 2019 04:28 AM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Yep!
    It's called Fig, here's the Wikipedia article, and here's their 'about' page. It's crowdfunding like Kickstarter, but you have a share in the game's revenue. There are other setups as well where you would own a portion of the company rather than a one-time revenue kickback (and perhaps other arrangements as well).
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

3. Informative KorinKitty thinks that this is informative
    Last Seen
    Today 01:00 AM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    I've always been curious about stocks so this is interesting. I sure hope Fallout 76 wasn't one of Fig's games.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

5. Agree Zemekis agreed with this post
    Last Seen
    Today 03:43 AM
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    Yep!
    It's called Fig, here's the Wikipedia article, and here's their 'about' page. It's crowdfunding like Kickstarter, but you have a share in the game's revenue. There are other setups as well where you would own a portion of the company rather than a one-time revenue kickback (and perhaps other arrangements as well).
    Thanks for the information! I want to check this out. I love video games but I am no where near creative or experienced to make my own so I figured investing in them would be a good way to make money in the industry all while still enjoying just being a player.

Last Seen
    18th February 2019 04:28 AM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by KorinKitty View Post
    Thanks for the information! I want to check this out. I love video games but I am no where near creative or experienced to make my own so I figured investing in them would be a good way to make money in the industry all while still enjoying just being a player.
    No problem, pal. It's a really neat system, but from what I'm seeing the minimum share price (this varies by project) is $1,000.00 so you will need a few grand to get going. I'll likely give it a try in a year or two, but I have so much invested in regular stocks & bonds that I don't feel as driven to take part in something as risky as an indie game studio. Fig might be a better option when the stock market starts tanking, as a sort of hedge versus regular investment risk.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers