ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Today 01:00 AM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong

FRHS Weekly Group Review: Chapter 2

Continuing from the last thread (you'll also find that in Toward Stars Extended of course) we'll be sharing our thoughts on the second chapter of Future-Retro Hero Story. Due to a time issue this thread is overdue. However, this thread will only be officially open (feel free to join in and reply if you're late to this) until approximately two days from now rather than the usual week. It'll resume as planned from then. We'd better get a move on! The good news is that the first chapter was great, so I'm sure that Zemekis (and myself) will be eager to continue reading!

Name:  hvwKLEu.png
Views: 26
Size:  63.9 KB
    If you're not convinced already, there are plenty of panty shots in this prequel! Is Juji Gene's great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandpa?!

As said before, remember there will be spoilers below. (No spoiler tag needed.) Please read the original thread for some general information about this group review.

Chapter 2
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    18th February 2019 04:28 AM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Finally got a chance to read this (just in time for the Chapter 3 thread to go up, lol. And I enjoyed this Chapter far more than the first. In just 2 chapters this story has progressed nearly as far as OLS does near the end of its second volume! Characters have changed/been revealed & the main cast has already made it into space (briefly). There is still an over-reliance on slapstick humor and panty references (although none are seen this time around), so that's a bit of a negative. The toughest part of reading this chapter was how it began rushing through scenes in the middle-third. It seemed as if the first chapter was published, then Ito decided to move the story back to the school, so in the course of 2 pages they go from a space battle to conveniently crashing into the school again, through the teacher's office, and into the school gym. The flow was REALLY hard to follow at one or two points in this chapter.

I appreciate things moving at this pace (it makes me wonder just how far this story will go if it continues moving at this speed), but it needs to be done well. I very much enjoy the vibe & ideas behind the worlds Ito builds in his manga (worlds in the literal sense and in terms of the work's canon material), but he may be one of the worst authors in terms of fleshing out ideas or giving things a decent flow.

I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter this evening.
    Last edited by Zemekis; 8th February 2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Read the chapter
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Last Seen
    Today 01:00 AM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Great chapter! I've gotta agree, the flow was a bit confusing at times. I do like the cast of characters and it's also cool to see terms that later crop up in Outlaw Star such as ether. It's also made clear in the first few pages of this chapter that the Toward Stars (or rather, Fixed Star) universe is vastly different to our own. Ether was a thing in the nineteenth century! (Perhaps even before then.) It makes me wonder what fiction Takehiko Ito drew most of his inspiration from.

We also get to see spell guns, but I think its name in this translation being the old name for caster guns (said in the Tenrei Outlaw Star episode) is coincidental. Who knows though? Brass says that "once loaded via induction, it fires eight powerful blasts of magic", which I think is another way of saying it "recharges" in close proximity to magic. It also looks like a typical ray gun.

I've got to be honest; I didn't expect Brass's invasion to be a complete set-up by Roger, or rather what's left of Roger. I enjoyed that, and I get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of Roger's brain in the future. And at least I now know what Future-Retro Hero Story actually means. Of course, the Future Hero is Juji and the Retro Hero is Roger.

Do you remember a certain part of a certain logo?

Name:  oscolour.png
Views: 8
Size:  140.4 KB

FUTURE HERO NEXT GENERATION

In other words...

JUJI NEXT GENERATION
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    18th February 2019 04:28 AM
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Do you remember a certain part of a certain logo?

Name:  oscolour.png
Views: 8
Size:  140.4 KB

FUTURE HERO NEXT GENERATION

In other words...

JUJI NEXT GENERATION
    Yep, this chapter was pretty good stuff. I feel like we will be seeing a lot more of Roger's brain as well. That feels weird to say.
    I think only having OLS in the West, the connections to FRHS were severely downplayed. As we progress through both manga, I don't doubt that we will continue to see more and more connections that weren't apparent in the OLS anime. There's even the blatant reference in the logo as you pointed out. Only time will tell how deep this connection goes.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

5. Agree Mantis agreed with this post