Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 05:48 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong

The Misadventures of a Mantis

So, where do I begin? Even though it's 2.00AM, I'll pretend it's still "today". To sum up the past couple of days...

[hr]

Saturday, 5th February 2011

On Saturday I was pretty sleepy. I spent a lot of the day on Outlaw Star UK and watching an anime series called Monster. This would be the second time watching Monster. It's such a great anime though, it's been like a fresh experience. At 74 episodes in length (I think), it's not exactly a quick watch either, but the lack of filler episodes (and the filler episodes are great), the excellent character development and awesome soundtrack make this a winner.

Later on I was supposed to go to a Nintendo 3DS event. I've been staying at my parents' for the weekend and maybe the next couple of days. Normally I'd get a shower but since the shower here will either give you third-degree burns or hypothermia I decided on the bath. Little did I know that the clock had just stopped as I got into the bath. You may know how it is. Your perception of time changes greatly in a hot bath and when I found out the clock was slow by fifteen minutes, I yelled "Shit!!" and legged it to the train station. After getting dressed, of course.

It was raining cats and dogs. You can imagine how pissed off I was when the train left just as I arrived at the platform. I was drenched, and plodded back home. I felt bitter for a while as I'd been looking forward to this particular Nintendo event. I discovered I'd be able to go the following day though, so I breathed a sigh of relief and spent a while on Outlaw Star UK, before getting to bed and playing some Mario 64 and then watching more Monster on my Pandora.

[hr]

Sunday, 6th February 2011

I didn't end up sleeping until gone 4.00AM. I had some real difficulty doing so. I had to get up quite early but had an adequate amount of sleep. Recently, my sister gave birth and I now have a niece. (Along with three nephews.) With my parents and one of my step-sisters, I paid my sister, her boyfriend, my nephew Xander and newborn niece Lilith a visit. On the way there I finished watching Monster on my Pandora. Amazing anime. We stayed for a good few hours and since it took a couple of hours to drive each way, by the time we approached our town's station it was nearly 6.00PM.

It was a short train journey to Manchester though. My step-sister came along, and we went to the 3DS event at 6.30PM. On the way there we noticed some Chinese New Year celebrations and figured we'd go and take a look after the event. The tour of the 3DS was very cool. At the start of the tour we watched an epically bad Ryu and Ken fight and I had my picture taken with them, followed by having to run through a room with zombies trying to grab at us, based on Resident Evil. I got a picture taken with those guys, too. There was a Chris Redfield and a Claire I think, but unfortunately they weren't in the picture.

Playing the 3DS was interesting. I played the new Street Fighter and my step-sister who wouldn't touch a console with a ten-foot pole was quite enjoying herself. (Goes to show what you miss out on by being ignorant towards games!) The 3D effect was convincing. A gimmick, yes, but definitely a convincing and worthwhile gimmick. I could have tried out the Resident Evil games or other titles, but we had far less time than I had anticipated, although the event overall lasted longer than I'd have thought. After this I tried taking some 3D pictures and had a go with Augmented Reality. I also tried to get a few pictures of the 3DS next to my Pandora, but they didn't seem entirely happy about this. A few pics...

It was soon after leaving the building that I realised what time it was, and there was no chance I was going to arrive back home in time to attend the Outlaw Star UK gaming chat I had scheduled. Since we'd barely eaten (my sister has a tendency to not offer any food or drink), we went to McDonald's. Unfortunately, whatever was going on to celebrate the Chinese New Year wasn't anymore. After this, my step-sister headed back to her home and I headed back to my parents'.

Something else a bit shit has happened. Actually, the only good thing is that it's the first (and hopefully only) time it's happened to me. Even with a small bite from McDonald's I was hungry, but my mother had prepared some dinner which I microwaved. I poured a glass of some cheapo supermarket diet Dr Pepper. (It tastes crap, but I didn't feel like water which I have quite a lot lately.) When I sat down at my computer to eat and browse Outlaw Star UK, the glass fell from my desk onto my plate, which was on my lap. My whole meal was swimming in this crappy Dr Pepper. It looked like watery, bubbly gravy. I became a hungry and pissed off mantis.

There we go. An essay. And this is the first time in a while I've thought my life was worth writing about. (Hence starting my journal now.) Hopefully it won't be boring in future entries.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    25th May 2012 06:26 PM
    Wong

RE: The Misadventures of a Mantis

XD love the censoring mantis of censorship. I was just browsing the new posts section when I saw the words 'Mantis' and 'Inn towards the stars' on the same line. I instantly went like "O_O he finally started a journal! =D". Really appreciate you sharing the Nintendo 3ds pics compared to the open pandora! So glad we have an admin who's always so thoughtful !
    This is my signature, isn't it great?

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong

Heh, well, thanks. The 3DS is cool but I hate the glossy finish. Looks like Nintendo was trying to be very stylish with the gloss and the latest 3D trend. I don't like it when devices are fingerprint magnets. Otherwise, it's pretty awesome. The Open Pandora photos were really for others with Pandoras but I figured I'd include the photo here anyway.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"

Anime and Steam info

Last Seen
    1st September 2011 08:11 PM
    Wong

The 3DS does look very interesting... But I'm just waiting for the 3-D 'Love Connection' game... T.T Just... don't ask.

The thing about finger-print magnets.. yes... this is why I use this on my current DS

No sticky fingers for me

I have one problem with you, Mantis... Where's your beautiful face?! =O We must see it soon.. yes yes.. if not here, then in the photo thread!
    Come join me in the Chat Room! ~Nyaa!

^_^
    (='.'=)
    ( '')( '')

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong

Yeah, I used a case like that for my iPod. Well, not Sonic anyway. XD The thing with the DS is that the original had a matte finish that was nice, and whilst the Lite did have a small amount of gloss it was subtle and fingerprints were hard to see. Ah, my face? I want to preserve my anonymity for a while. A few people here do know what I look like, but if they defy me I will slam my gavel down! Y'hear?!

Anime and Steam info

Last Seen
    6th June 2012 08:42 PM
    Wong

This is what Mantis looks like:

He's using a very clever disguise, and it's not even his face anyway.
    "It turned out that the ghost was just Mr. Finley, who ran the amusement park. The spooky part is that, as soon as the ghost appeared, the teenagers' dog began to speak! And it spoke in a tortured parody of human speech: 'relp me, Raggy,' it would say. 'I am an abomination and rould re rilled. Rill re, Raggy.'"

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong

You got me, Baron. So today I'm doing what I call a "Jack Bauer". Staying up all day after an all-nighter. I'm as tired as hell, but I can do this. I need to fix my sleep pattern which has been so erratic lately. I'll have been awake for nearly 35 hours by the time I hope to sleep. I just hope I can last. Mountain Dew Energy has helped, but too much caffeine is no good, so plenty of water is always useful.

Anime and Steam info

Last Seen
    4th February 2013 04:05 PM
    Wong

Look on the bright side, at least you seem to be functioning =P Even with 6-7 hours of sleep every night, I need caffeine to keep going.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixie-the-Pixie
    I mainly do crack.

Last Seen
    1st September 2011 08:11 PM
    Wong

I think the longest I stayed up was roughly 38 hours, trying to fix my sleeping pattern. When I finally went to bed, I overslept by 8 hours, missing my appointment anyway!

Mantis, sleep patterns are one of the hardest to fix. Just take it easy and try not to do something too dangerous
    Come join me in the Chat Room! ~Nyaa!

^_^
    (='.'=)
    ( '')( '')

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong

Well, if by functioning you mean watching lots of episodes of 24 (now that's what you call doing a "Jack Bauer"), yeah, you're right. I had work I had to do today, and I've felt too tired to do it. It's 9.40PM and I've managed to survive. However, I did fall asleep sat on my chair for about an hour. I refused to lie on my bed and I didn't think I'd fall asleep on my chair but I did. XD Anyway, it was a small nap and probably helped. Now I'm tired and I'll get an early night. 10.30PM at the latest.

Anime and Steam info