Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 05:48 PM
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    So, I'm visiting family for a day. I used their VHS player, and lo and behold... another dead end! Oh well, I was expecting it anyway. The tapes just have uncensored dubbed episodes, meaning they were probably recorded in 2002/2003. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any bootleggy tapes on eBay.

I got my dad Red Dead Redemption 2 as a birthday and Christmas present. Given what I hear about it I'm a little jealous, but I'll just wait for the PC release. It'll happen.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

Anime and Steam info

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    There's a bunch of manga pages left for the next update and I was gonna grab a couple of energy drinks and get through lots of it, but then I received a pen drive full of home movies to edit. My whole family lacks any computer skills beyond browsing Facebook, so I've been doing that for a while. Almost through it though. I'll go and see my niece and nephew tomorrow. We're going to watch Home Alone. To be honest I'm a little excited. It's been so long since I've seen it and I remember how fun it was when I was my nephew's age.

It's been quite a while since I've gone on an Outlaw Star merchandise spree (probably since I've almost got all of it, official and unofficial) but I've put money aside for a few things. I got that Australian DVD box which I already posted about. I also got the second UK Blu-ray which is the budget option. Still looks nice.

Name:  ukblu.png
Views: 31
Size:  555.0 KB

It does kind of misrepresent the art style, but I like the cover. This is art from the original Blu-ray release, but was only inside the box or as a promotional image. If there was an Outlaw Star reboot it would probably look like this. This Blu-ray appears to have identical discs to the more expensive option, but obviously it's missing the art book. The full UK Blu-ray is simply the best, better than Japan and US. It has the superior style of the Japanese Blu-ray and the art book the US set yanked.

Speaking of the US, I decided to finally get the US collector box. But since I was going to end up paying import tax anyway I figured I'd kill three birds with one stone. Fortunately Amazon waived the shipping fee due to some problems I won't go into. It's been very expensive, but about $20 cheaper.

Name:  usblu1.png
Size:  224.6 KB Name:  usblu2.png
Size:  240.3 KB Name:  usblu3.png
Views: 30
Size:  240.7 KB

Man, I can't wait to receive them. Yes, I'm aware there's little difference between the two leftmost Blu-rays aesthetically. I acknowledge that I am mental. I think only collectors would understand.

One more Outlaw Star thing. I found this photo of a seriously faded t-shirt. I had to enhance it a little to bring out the design. I must have got it around a decade ago. It's a really badass MacDougall t-shirt and I'd absolutely get another in the future. Probably not possible now.

Name:  macdougalltee.jpg
Size:  240.0 KB

In case you can't read it...
    MACDOUGALL
    MERCENARY SERVICES

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS... WE DON'T
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"

Anime and Steam info

3. Like Alchytect liked this post
    Last Seen
    Today 07:36 AM
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    Wasn't the art on that box art for the UK release done by the character designer who worked on the show? His name escapes me at the moment but I recall that he did the box art for one of the blu-ray releases. I believe it was for the UK release as well but I might be wrong on that. Still, I think it's a nice piece. Kind of a modernized take on the characters. The US blu-ray release was really cool since it came packed with a lot of stuff including the art book as well some other cool editions like a pic of Melfina in the navigation tub when you first open the collector's box. That shirt is really cool. I've seen a number of Outlaw Star merch but I don't recall ever seeing that before. I even go on ebay to see if there is any interesting, rare Outlaw Star related items but this one is a really nice find. Do you recall where you got it from?

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    Yeah, I think you're correct there. I've forgotten the name too but I was never good at remembering Japanese words or names. While he didn't work on the UK box set directly, it borrows a lot from the Japanese box and the artwork you see on the cheaper UK Blu-ray cover can be found when you unfold the more expensive box. (And if I recall correctly, it's the same for the Japanese original set.)

I think the modern take on Outlaw Star's art style was probably mostly done to appeal to a younger demographic. (After all, it was over fifteen years later that it got the first Blu-ray.) I've seen an unboxing of the US collector box on YouTube. Despite its flaws I like how it really stands out from any other OLS box set.

Not sure about the shirt. Probably something similar to Redbubble. With it being the late 2000s when I got it there were probably more actual designers and less of those trying to rip others off. (The fact he just copy/pasted the panorama I did doesn't bother me as it isn't my artwork, but the cheeky sod said his designs are his own work.)

Edit: After searching around I found a few e-mails. It seems the shirt was on the site "Zazzle", but the creator of the design made it for Team XGP, the makers of Outlaw Star Abridged and the above image wasn't naturally faded—it actually came that way and it seems I was not happy at all as I paid a lot for it! After sending Zazzle this image (which I found as an attachment):

Name:  tshirt-comparison.png
Views: 23
Size:  233.6 KB

...they gave me a full refund. So I guess it was a good outcome. It's a shame I didn't get the advertised shirt.

Anime and Steam info

Last Seen
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    At long last I got my new sofa bed yesterday. Of course Mel had to jump on it to pose for the photo. It's really nice. Very comfortable and it unfolds like a damn Transformer. Very durable when unfolded, which I'll take a photo of some other time. Well, it better had be durable since it's my 30th birthday present from my grandparents for £1900. (That stunned me. I hadn't even had a present worth 1/10 of that before so I'm extremely grateful. They really wanted me to stop having a bad back from sleeping on a couch.)

It's inevitable that Mel will scratch it at some point. I think in the meantime I'll order an ottoman and some kind of throw to put over the sofa bed. Maybe a scratching post. Best I can think of right now.

Sodding hell, it's freezing today.

Name:  IMG_20181215_155858.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  48.2 KB

Anime and Steam info