• Confess your anime sins
  • Confess your anime sins

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Seen
    Today 07:16 AM
    Posts
    811
    Personality
    jimhawking
    Wong
    12,601

    Confess your anime sins

    So there's probably things you don't like to admit when it comes to anime. Maybe you watch the shows if the girls are attractive, maybe there's a show that you love that everyone hates or maybe you feel that Boku No Pico is the shining example of what anime has to offer. Anyway, this thread is dedicated to us airing some unpopular or peculiar things that you have when it comes to anime. There is no shame here, no one will judge...well, I wont anyway...maybe.

    Anywho, for me, I'm watching Tenchi Universe again so I have Tenchi on the mind. I enjoy Tenchi in Tokyo. Yes, I agree it's a much weaker show compared to Tenchi Muyo and especially Tenchi Universe but I've always loved that show. It's like a weird, whacky topsy turvey take on the characters and I just loved that it was a much zanier show for the most part. I know Tenchi fans think it went off rails and they have a point, but I had too much fun with that show to hate it.

  2. #2
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    8th September 2019 10:18 AM
    Posts
    1,330
    Wong
    2,012
    I prefer dubs over subs any day. Apparently that makes me literally Hitler to some.

    (To make it worse I barely watch any anime! I haven't seen anything new since... oh fuck! 2005!)
    "It turned out that the ghost was just Mr. Finley, who ran the amusement park. The spooky part is that, as soon as the ghost appeared, the teenagers' dog began to speak! And it spoke in a tortured parody of human speech: 'relp me, Raggy,' it would say. 'I am an abomination and rould re rilled. Rill re, Raggy.'"

  3. #3
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 09:47 AM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,121
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,016,936
    Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfStuff View Post
    I prefer dubs over subs any day. Apparently that makes me literally Hitler to some.
    Same as me. Nearly always I watch the dub. Only when the dub isn't so bad it's good—but so incredibly bad that it's just bad—will I watch the sub instead. But that's very rare in my own experience. I'm going to hold myself back as I feel like writing a lengthy rant on how sub zealots are wankers, and that would become off-topic. I also don't watch anime much, typically only two new series a year and I usually go for series that are either 13 or 26 episodes.

    I think to many fans one of my sins is talking about how Japan isn't that great of a nation. Sometimes I've talked about all of their wrongdoings and it has offended them, who are usually people who have never visited Japan anyway. That's not to say that I think Japan is hell on Earth or the Japanese are bad people. Just that Japan is not heaven on Earth by any means. (Neither are our own countries.)

    Another one that a lot of us are either familiar with or guilty of is thinking that those who believe that Cowboy Bebop is so great because of how "deep" it is (I'm not going to go into this in detail again) are misguided or those who fit the Rick and Morty stereotype to a T. I've also pissed people off by saying that Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star and Trigun (sometimes called the "Holy Trinity" by Toonami fans) really don't share much in common and thus should not be given that title. It's not that I think Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are bad. (On the contrary, they are good series.) It's just that I find the notion dumb.

    I like the anime adaptation of Ajin and think that its CGI is really nicely done. Of course, to many weeaboos this is unthinkable. It looks "cheap" to them because it uses 3D in a 2D kind of way, for a lack of better words. But unlike that genuinely awful-looking series Ronja (faces are really expressionless) by Studio Ghibli on Amazon Prime Video, Netflix's Ajin does look great. A lot of idiots think because of its heavy use of CGI it's the spawn of Satan, all the while ignoring the fact that all the other recent anime they watch were rendered by a computer.

    I know there's more. I'll add 'em when I think of them.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  4. #4
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Today 10:24 AM
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    24
    Posts
    97
    Personality
    fredluo
    Wong
    1,349
    I for some reason really like the Love Hina anime.

  5. #5
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    8th September 2019 10:18 AM
    Posts
    1,330
    Wong
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    sub zealots are wankers
    This would make a good t-shirt to wear at conventions.
    "It turned out that the ghost was just Mr. Finley, who ran the amusement park. The spooky part is that, as soon as the ghost appeared, the teenagers' dog began to speak! And it spoke in a tortured parody of human speech: 'relp me, Raggy,' it would say. 'I am an abomination and rould re rilled. Rill re, Raggy.'"

  6. Funny Mantis found this post funny
  7. #6
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 07:12 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,004
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    9,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    I have Tenchi on the mind.
    This is me every day. Lmao, to be serious though I grew up with Tenchi in Tokyo on Toonami so that's all I know about the series. Some friends and I were having lunch in college once and Tenchi in Tokyo came up. Some hours later I was at a record store in town and they had the first DVD volume of Tenchi in Tokyo there for $2. I brought it to the cafeteria the next day and slapped it down on the table, then tipped my fedora.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Same as me. Nearly always I watch the dub.
    I know people go crazy over this but I don't get it. It's like me with preferring physical copies of games. Just let people enjoy media the way they want to. I prefer subs because I can hear the original inflection of the spoken lines, which is often lost in the dub. That being said, I will listen to the Eng Dub if the Japanese sounds like shit. Examples: Bleach, InuYasha. Also if I grew up with the English on TV as a kid: Gundam Wing, OLS, Sailor Moon, Speed Racer, DBZ, Cowboy Beep Boop.

    I think to many fans one of my sins is talking about how Japan isn't that great of a nation. Sometimes I've talked about all of their wrongdoings and it has offended them, who are usually people who have never visited Japan anyway. That's not to say that I think Japan is hell on Earth or the Japanese are bad people. Just that Japan is not heaven on Earth by any means. (Neither are our own countries.)
    This is the opinion that shocks me the most, as you haven't been there either as far as I remember? They aren't perfect, but they are heck of a lot closer than damn near anywhere else. The one thing that turns me off from moving there this very instant is how much you have to conform to society to be accepted there. It sort of melts my American brain, since I'm sort of unrefined by default. I see your point (there's a reason my wife wanted to move to the USA!) but you're being slightly too harsh. A lot of it sort of 'clicks' once you visit.

    I love Cowboy Bebop
    Here he goes again, Mantis aka "Spike Spiegel" going on and on about how great Cowboy Bebop is. tl;dr Downvoted. Fedora 100% tipped. Maybe if you'd actually WATCH Rick and Morty you would know that OLS is the superior show. Let me guess, your IQ is below 140? Thought so.

    I like the anime adaptation of Ajin and think that its CGI is really nicely done. Of course, to many weeaboos this is unthinkable. It looks "cheap" to them because it uses 3D in a 2D kind of way, for a lack of better words. But unlike that genuinely awful-looking series Ronja (faces are really expressionless) by Studio Ghibli on Amazon Prime Video, Netflix's Ajin does look great. A lot of idiots think because of its heavy use of CGI it's the spawn of Satan, all the while ignoring the fact that all the other recent anime they watch were rendered by a computer.
    Bruh, I've got 2 volumes of Ajin manga on my desk right now at work. I had no clue you knew about/watched Ajin. I was a huge hater of the CGI adaption (because USUALLY, CGI is trash) but it was actually really decent. Then the story strayed away from the manga and lost me. Once the story split and I realized that most of the scenes I was watching for wouldn't be in the anime, I dropped it. There's this part with fried chicken that is probably too nasty for television so I guess I see why they watered it down a lot for the adaptation. Anyway, good CGI is good, bad CGI is bad. I only learned this recently.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    I for some reason really like the Love Hina anime.
    Read the books, but never watched the anime. Is it really unpopular?


    AS FOR MY OWN ANSWERS
    My mom made me an Attack on Titan birthday cake one year because she saw me watching it, got interested, and then eventually joined me in watching it. I didn't ask for it, and I've never had an anime themed cake before or since. I have NEVER cringed as hard as I did at that cake.

    Unpopular anime opinion....hhhhmmmmmmm...I usually prefer manga to anime? I've watched a few hundred series, so don't get me wrong, but manga > anime if I really had to choose one.

    I un-ironically enjoy Sword Art Online.

    I sympathized with Light Yagami.

    I don't care about Jojo simply because it's art style disgusts me and I can't look at it long enough to learn anything about it. Same goes for One Piece.

    FLCL (the 1st season) must be watched in a single sitting as if it were one episode. I preached this for years and only found out last year that this is the way they showed the two new seasons in Japan. I will rub everyone's nose in this forever.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

  8. #7
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    Today 09:47 AM
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,121
    Personality
    genestarwind
    Wong
    10,016,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    I know people go crazy over this but I don't get it. It's like me with preferring physical copies of games. Just let people enjoy media the way they want to. I prefer subs because I can hear the original inflection of the spoken lines, which is often lost in the dub. That being said, I will listen to the Eng Dub if the Japanese sounds like shit. Examples: Bleach, InuYasha. Also if I grew up with the English on TV as a kid: Gundam Wing, OLS, Sailor Moon, Speed Racer, DBZ, Cowboy Beep Boop.
    It's different though. Audio preference dictates which option you select on the DVD menu. Game medium choice involves a lot more. I'd go pretty deep into why sub > dub arguments (or non-arguments) are ludicrous but I've gone into this so many times. I always see sub zealots entering dub videos and spewing vitriol.

    Confess your anime sins-0topezj-png

    This kind of shit. How often do you see dub fans entering subbed YouTube videos and saying stuff like that? I'd wager almost never. This is why these types (not all sub fans, just this special breed) are wankers. They have an opinion but they won't shut the fuck up about it and won't explain their points either. Just, "it's better because muh Japanese". (Something along those lines.) It's fans of dubbed anime that I tend to see provide detailed reasoning, rather than the same regurgitated shite. Guess I'll just quote a few of my opinions on the matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KloeRinz
    I prefer subs in general. After all, it has more emotion. Also, the weight of the words feel heavier. Meanwhile, most dubs are just cheap imitations. Also, they try too hard to lip sync.
    I beg to differ. If anything, a lot of the helium-injected Japanese voice actresses (especially in slice of life) sound anything but natural. And we all know there's nothing heavy about helium. A lot of voices in good English dubs (and there's a lot of them) sound suitably heavy to me. Keep in mind that some of the time even the original Japanese dubbing is based on improvisation due to animation being a different department to voice recording. And even if that weren't true, many western studios do a genius job of writing expressive scripts that fit the original context. Applying the "cheap imitation" label to our dubs adds to the already-negative reputation anime fans have nowadays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    When it comes to bad English and things being lost in translation, why do few people have a go at scanlators who probably learned Japanese by watching anime? (Best way to learn I hear!) Millions of people read fan-translated manga that is hosted (without giving credit to the scanlators) on websites like Mangafox but they don't bat an eye despite how they're often awful translations. And how come most people who fan-dub anime seem to get a free pass from validly harsh criticism? I guess it only sucks if it's done by a professional.
    Not meaning to derail Starwind's thread though, so...

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    This is the opinion that shocks me the most, as you haven't been there either as far as I remember? They aren't perfect, but they are heck of a lot closer than damn near anywhere else. The one thing that turns me off from moving there this very instant is how much you have to conform to society to be accepted there. It sort of melts my American brain, since I'm sort of unrefined by default. I see your point (there's a reason my wife wanted to move to the USA!) but you're being slightly too harsh. A lot of it sort of 'clicks' once you visit.
    You're right. I haven't been there. But you don't need to travel somewhere to research its history. Singing a country's praises though, you may have to travel to make a strong case there. And you have, so I'm more inclined to listen to your views about Japan, but I mostly refer to the past instead of the present. Of course, I'm referring to World War II. Germany obviously committed a lot of atrocities, the Holocaust being one. They've apologised for it, and they even teach students all about that part of history. While that doesn't erase the past, Germany has at least sought redemption and most of the world forgives them. In Japan's case, rather than that it's that so many young westerners don't even know about Japan's atrocities in World War II. While an exact figure cannot be determined, it's likely their civilian kill total is significantly higher than the Holocaust, and they were much more brutal.

    Of course, none of that relates to anime. Nowadays Japanese people are often blissfully ignorant of this horrible history. It's how the government ignores/denies these atrocities in education and the fact that Japan has refused to apologise that irks a lot of people. I don't hate Japanese people and I don't think any individual should feel guilty over the actions of their ancestors. I like a lot of Japanese people and the things the Japanese make. But I do acknowledge this history. I don't lose sleep over it, but my acknowledgement of it has pissed off people in the past, often anime fans who feel the need to defend Japan for some reason. I've talked to people who've gone as far as denying that the Rape of Nanking even happened.

    Anyway, I know those paragraphs are very much on the serious side. All I'm saying is that acknowledging that their precious-wecious Japan probably massacred over ten million civilians isn't something a lot of anime fans (generally the more zealous ones) are gonna do, with many taking it quite personally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    Here he goes again, Mantis aka "Spike Spiegel" going on and on about how great Cowboy Bebop is. tl;dr Downvoted. Fedora 100% tipped. Maybe if you'd actually WATCH Rick and Morty you would know that OLS is the superior show. Let me guess, your IQ is below 140? Thought so.
    Bang!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    Bruh, I've got 2 volumes of Ajin manga on my desk right now at work. I had no clue you knew about/watched Ajin. I was a huge hater of the CGI adaption (because USUALLY, CGI is trash) but it was actually really decent. Then the story strayed away from the manga and lost me. Once the story split and I realized that most of the scenes I was watching for wouldn't be in the anime, I dropped it. There's this part with fried chicken that is probably too nasty for television so I guess I see why they watered it down a lot for the adaptation. Anyway, good CGI is good, bad CGI is bad. I only learned this recently.
    I need to read the manga. Yes, CGI can be horrible. When done right it's not bad at all and in this day and age every animation is CGI, so writing off all 3D CGI as bad without giving it a chance is a bad decision. I'm glad you're not somebody who does that!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    I sympathized with Light Yagami.
    You're not alone there. I think as Light himself said in Death Note, a lot of people agreed with the kinds of things he was doing, but they were afraid of losing face by sharing that opinion. I think a lot of Light's actions were justified. He just went the wrong way about a lot of things. Plus, L is overrated.
    Gene: "Have faith in me guys, enjoy the ride—you're in good hands. I can handle this. I can do it!"
    Jim: "How do you know?"
    Gene: "I don't!"
    Jim: "I knew it."
    Gene: "That's okay. There's a first time for everything!"

    Anime and Steam info

    Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews



  9. #8
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Last Seen
    Today 10:24 AM
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    24
    Posts
    97
    Personality
    fredluo
    Wong
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemekis View Post
    Read the books, but never watched the anime. Is it really unpopular?
    I cant tell to be honest.
    Whenever I see the coments on the streaming sites I use, people seem to hate it and give bad ratings, due to Keitaro being weak and what not else.
    Or because read the manga. I saw also some discussions on 4chan, where it wasnt that popular.

    If you want to make yourself an opinion watching the first episode would be anouph.

  10. #9
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today 03:00 AM
    Location
    Sentinel III
    Age
    32
    Posts
    76
    Wong
    586
    I use to watch Hamtaro....

  11. #10
    ProfileAchievementsGamer StatsInventoryLikes List
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Last Seen
    Yesterday 07:12 PM
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,004
    Personality
    lordhazanko
    Wong
    9,801
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawFantasy View Post
    I use to watch Hamtaro....
    Regularly, or just when you passed it on tv? I didn't mind watching it when I saw it on TV, but I never made it part of my schedule like I did with InuYasha, YuYu Hakusho, Digimon, DBZ, or Outlaw Star back around that time.
    "Out of the ground, raze all greenery with flame! Fire2!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Starwind55 View Post
    It deals with a demon virus that transforms people into freaky looking fuckers

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •